Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2022, 10:40 PM   #3166

Freedconn TCOM SC helmet headset to replace my well used and beat to hell Freedconn unit.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22518...d=eIJc8pwKFSTt

Mrs. C and I have a pair. Hers is fine but only sees 1% of the use mine does, i.e., year round in all kinds of weather, knocked about, helmet gets dropped. The multifunction knob on mine is loose, BT call reception is going south, FM reception, except for religious stations, is spotty. Apparently, I bought these in July 2017, so I got my money's worth.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-09-2022, 04:07 PM   #3167

I redeemed about 113,000 frequent flyer miles so Mrs. C and I can surprise our granddaughters in Maine next month.

We're going to redeem bank points for the hotel and rental car. I have a whack of points with Avis but they are goofy with their points. Limited to two days and I need four. I also have a boatload of points with Holiday Inn but there ain't any Holiday Inns near the kids place, so it's Hilton and I'm a tad short there.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-09-2022, 06:07 PM   #3168

As promised, pictures of the $500 Xterra!
IMG_5177.jpg

IMG_5178.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

IMG_5180.jpg

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-11-2022, 12:46 PM   #3169

Haven't really bought yet, but I am in possession of my mother-in-laws late brother's 07 PT cruiser. I wanted to pick it up as a daily, so I can stop driving the truck so much. But since the truck is down, she let be borrow it until things are settled and I can buy the car from her.

Of course, me being me, I happen to have a turbo for an other canceled project leftover that may be going in that car. And a manual swap... and coilovers. lol. I can't leave well enough alone.

Old 10-12-2022, 04:38 AM   #3170

For anybody out there thinking of buying a cheap Nissan Xterra that needs a radiator... DON'T! I've been a mechanic pretty much all my life, and I can say without a doubt, and completely unequivocally, that replacing the radiator in a 2005 Nissan Xterra is the most miserable automotive servicing experience of my life. Who the hell designed that thing, and what were they smoking?!?! That rant is over (until I have to do the next round of wrenching on that monster), and I have to say now that it's driveable again, it's actually a pretty decent bit of kit. The oil is going to get changed today, and some other little loose ends I want to tie up, but overall I think I managed to score myself a pretty decent deal, the radiator torture not withstanding. I'll keep everyone posted how it holds together.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #3171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
For anybody out there thinking of buying a cheap Nissan Xterra that needs a radiator... DON'T! I've been a mechanic pretty much all my life, and I can say without a doubt, and completely unequivocally, that replacing the radiator in a 2005 Nissan Xterra is the most miserable automotive servicing experience of my life. Who the hell designed that thing, and what were they smoking?!?! That rant is over (until I have to do the next round of wrenching on that monster), and I have to say now that it's driveable again, it's actually a pretty decent bit of kit. The oil is going to get changed today, and some other little loose ends I want to tie up, but overall I think I managed to score myself a pretty decent deal, the radiator torture not withstanding. I'll keep everyone posted how it holds together.
For anyone who is feeling adventurous, all you have to do is utter the magic words:
What could possibly go wrong?
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 10-12-2022, 08:34 PM   #3172

Well…

I bought a 2016 Sym Wolf Classic 150. Everyone has a great story about how they got an awesome deal on a bike; mine is, the guy leaves in the morning to move to… Antarctica.

I guess I’ll pretty it up some, some how, in some ways, and sell it on. 8k miles on it. In generally good shape but lots of little blemishes. It’s screaming for a new seat. And maybe something of a better tank. And a tail tidy. And… and… and…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2E1D05C4-447E-4FDB-9879-EBE0AD06E5F6.jpeg (184.4 KB, 69 views)

Old 10-12-2022, 08:38 PM   #3173

Actually…

I should add, I just bought a 1973 CB350 just… a couple of weeks ago. I had not intention of buying both. I’m totally happy with the Honda - it’s awesome. But this Sym deal was a do-not-pass-go kind of thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 86082C45-1486-40C3-9BB5-DD3E11020619.jpeg (181.1 KB, 71 views)

Old 10-13-2022, 03:35 PM   #3174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
It was probably the same A-hole committee that designed the radiator mounting in my Wrangler.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-13-2022, 10:26 PM   #3175

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
It was probably the same A-hole committee that designed the radiator mounting in my Wrangler.
My Wrangler is actually pretty easy. This Nissan however, not so much. It's INSANE! After having driven this thing for a few days now, it looks like O2 sensors (all four) and definitely front and rear brakes (I'll go ahead and do pads and rotors). I'm also going to do the transmission fluid and filter. After putting on new tires yesterday, I'm still only into this thing for about $2,000. Not a terrible deal, all things considered.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-14-2022, 05:47 AM   #3176

Here is a solution to those highly optimistic Chinese bike speedometers, a GPS based speedo. All it needs is a UPS charging port. Sure a cell phone can do the same thing but I can leave this on the bike permanently. Under $20 and it comes with a suction cup mount. No batteries required.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14471973184...mis&media=COPY

Old 10-14-2022, 01:20 PM   #3177

So - it needs 5v of power? And some known or determinable amperage? You can just wire that in. Add a big, fancy switch if need be - one of those fire "Fire the missile!" covered ones or something, to turn it on and off, if you really want to get fancy.

Old 10-14-2022, 04:56 PM   #3178

Looks like my spell checker changed USB to UPS, at least I'll put the blame there. Yes, all it needs is a USB outlet which is easy to install. I have a waterproof toggle switch to turn it off but you could tap into a wire that is hot only when the key is on.

Old 10-14-2022, 05:21 PM   #3179

5V electronics tend to get real hot on 12V, better to hook it up to an adapter.

Old 10-14-2022, 05:33 PM   #3180

This is the type I use. The ones that plug into a cig lighter sometimes loose their connection from vibration.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19421422120...mis&media=COPY