PDA

View Full Version : ....new to forum with special needs Zongshen 250GS

bgramster
09-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Hey folks, I'm really excited to find this site, hoping I can get some tips/ clues/ help/ hope in dealing with my ZS 250GS it's been my bane for going on 5 years now and one of my biggest personal investment regrets. Locally there is nobody who will touch this bike, the few people I have attempted to have work on it have either ripped me off or just shrugged their shoulders and advised me to find someone else. On top of all of this I have no way to get it to anyone but I am, however, very technical minded and well versed on the inner workings of at least an idea of how this bike works. any info is greatly appreciated.

My first issue is not getting a spark on it....no impedance value in the cap. battery is brand new and fully charged, spark plug is brand new. The battery light flashes when I hit the starter but other than that, completely dead, nothing ! I'm attempting a CDI replacement but is the ignition coil possibly to blame?

Bike has roughly 5000 miles on it, Thanks in advance....Cheers!

http://www.awenmediadesign.com/upload/zongshen/bike-mid.png

http://www.awenmediadesign.com/upload/zongshen/sparkplug_etc.mini.png this question was already answered, (thanks Weldangrind) but would love to hear further thoughts.

http://www.awenmediadesign.com/upload/zongshen/yellowwires_nocurrent4x3.png

Weldangrind
09-27-2011, 10:04 AM
My first issue is not getting a spark on it....no impedance value in the cap.

Rather than jump to conclusions, I'm going to ask you to clarify what this means, and we'll go from there.

bgramster
09-30-2011, 12:06 PM
basically, I was saying that my voltage tester didn't show a signal on the spark plug, but I have replaced the line going from my ignition coil to my spark plug cap. Also replaced the spark plug cap and new spark plug.

In other news I did the solenoid test with a screwdriver on the posts of the solenoid and the engine tried to turn over.

1. Does this mean my solenoid is bad?

2. Would it attempt to start when doing this solenoid test even if the key wasn't turned to the run position? (because it did)

3. I still don't know if the spark plug is going to spark until I can connect the battery without the starter turning over, is there a better way to do all this?

thanks again

Weldangrind
10-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

We should start with some terminology discussions. You said initially that there is no spark, but I presume that you meant that it won't turn over. When a comment is made about no spark, it is generally understood that the engine is turning over but there is no spark at the plug to light the fire.

That said, your screwdriver test has established that your starter is fine. Note that there are four wires connected to the solenoid; two large red wires (that you crossed with a screwdriver) and two smalle wires of whatever colour. If you disconnect the small wires from your harness and then connect battery power to them, the starter should turn. If it does not, then the solenoid is bad.

Yes, the starter will spin if you cross the large red wire terminals with a screwdriver (assuming the starter is in good shape), even if the key is off.

gloud
10-03-2011, 09:48 AM
First off- am I right in reading that if you connect the battery that the starter engages and spins the bike over? if so then bad starter solenoid.

Otherwise, check to see if the bike has a kickstand cutout switch. it may be bad and causing your main issue. (the switch is so you have to be on the bike and the kickstand up before you start it. )

Get an NGK spark plug cap, they just screw onto the high tension lead.
(the first picture where you show the wire stripped. ) the thing you are pointing at is the coil.

bgramster
10-05-2011, 01:13 PM
ok, I ordered a starter relay solenoid, as far as I know I never had to have the kickstand up or be on the bike to start it but the thought had crossed my mind but based on the wiring diagram there doesn't seem to be one. I get what you're saying about the "no spark" terminology, I'll take note. I've also replaced the spark plug cap and terminal to the ignition coil with a honda terminal. Thank you guys for your help I'll update when the part arrives.

bgramster
10-10-2011, 11:45 AM
UPDATE:::
I ordered a new starter solenoid (relay) installed it and hit the start button, seemed to work for a few cranks (engine never started) then the solenoid just started clicking rapidly, I'm wondering if my battery may have run down below starting capcity now due to the repeated attempts but I was still getting my guages and lights, it was late and I haven't had a chance to try it again. (the bike is out at my cabin about 30 miles from my home) Sound like the battery to you guys or has this solenoid gone bad too?

FastDoc
10-10-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm positive you need to charge your battery. DON'T use more than a 1 amp charger.

Weldangrind
10-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Even better, use a float charger from Harbor Freight. They're usually about $8.00, and you can leave them plugged in indefinitely.

bgramster
10-10-2011, 12:29 PM
that's good to hear, ok, I'll consider this thread closed but not forgotten, I will start a new one for the next issue. For anyone who's interested I found the solenoid for this bike on ebay at http://stores.ebay.com/Rareelectrical very helpful and quick order. Thanks again guys

b