PDA

View Full Version : First real ride.

katoranger
05-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Took my bike to work about 45 miles round trip yesterday. Bike ran great. Rear brake starting dragging on the way to work. I adjusted the pedal stop and it released. Bike cruised about 45 mph. I need to drop the clip in the carb. Kickstarting is alittle tough. I need to get a new battery.

Tach cable needs lube. Vibes bad at about 50 mph. Lost the buts on the rear turn signals.

Had a great time. Can't wait for my sprocket to get here.

Also broke the side cover trying to get out of the driveway.

Time for a flat black job.

Allen

Jim
05-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Sounds like your enjoying it :)

katoranger
05-24-2007, 10:17 PM
The bike itself is great. Just needs some tweaking. Hopefully the Dealer/American Lifan will come through on my MSO so I can get it title. It is "borrowing" a tag from my old bike.

It is insured.

Gotta break things so I can upgrade them.

I also think alot of the vibes are from the knobby tires.

Might get to do a little trail ride on Saturday.

pumpkin
05-25-2007, 02:03 PM
at least on mine the more you kick start it the easier it is to get started. i went from kicking it till i was winded to first or second kick and done

katoranger
05-26-2007, 07:36 PM
It is getting easier. I started it on the second kick when I left work. I also fixed the rear signals today and double nutted them.

Allen

katoranger
05-26-2007, 11:13 PM
One more thing I notice is how poor the lighting is. I get off at midnight and my ride home was interesting. I need to thank the driver of the car behind as his lights lit my path. Even the high beam left something to be desired. I will check the alignment, but I think it is the bulb. I am watching some xr units on ebay it it may be a swap with a bit of work to get that installed so that I can find more bulb options.

Also fedex tracking shows my sprocket and chain arriving on tuesday.

Allen

katoranger
05-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Took it to work again today and stopped for gas on my way. I had gone about 148kms on 1.3 gallon which worked out by my math to about 70mpg. Not bad considering I still have the 56T on the back.

I am hoping to average about 75 with the new sprocket. Twice what my car gets.

Allen

maf119l
05-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Took it to work again today and stopped for gas on my way. I had gone about 148kms on 1.3 gallon which worked out by my math to about 70mpg. Not bad considering I still have the 56T on the back.

I am hoping to average about 75 with the new sprocket. Twice what my car gets.

Allen
My first fillup worked out to 73 mpg.Think it may get better once engine is broken in.

katoranger
05-27-2007, 10:00 PM
I'll take 70. I also think it will do better after the engine breaks in. Alot of those kms are at low speeds in playing around in the dirt.

Allen

Jim
05-27-2007, 11:15 PM
my gy5 worked out to 110mpg, but that depends on the accuracy of my speedo. Using premium gas, 10 40 mineral oil... ngk spark plug, and the rest is stock, no needle moved etc

katoranger
05-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Wow. 110mpg. My sprocket should arrive tomorrow and the chain the next day. I plan to balance the tires while I have the rear wheel off and change the oil this weekend with my Dad.

The hi beam burnt out on Sundays ride home. I am watching some honda XR units on ebay. Might try to swap on of them on.

The low-beam is worthless.

Allen

Jim
05-29-2007, 08:51 PM
and that was before my speedo went crazy, apparently now I can achieve 130km/h

katoranger
05-29-2007, 09:45 PM
I am happy with the 70mpg. I am expecting better with the 45T sprocket, but not much more than 80mpg. My tach bounces around alot. The speedo seems fine. I will be mounting up the GPS after I get some other things done. Next most important mod is the headlight. I may try to take the stock housing and epoxy an H4 socket on it.

Allen