PDA

View Full Version : Rookie with a new Roketa DB-05

buymore
05-25-2007, 09:36 PM
I have been checking these forums out the last couple of weeks searching for info on the China bikes. It was down to my #1 Lifan and #2 Roketa DB-05 for a dual sport bike to save gas driving to work and putting around locally. I wanted a Lifan, but I just couldn't gather the little bit extras $$ for the Lifan. I am very happy initally with my Roketa though. I can honestly say that performance is much better than specs say and fit and finish is better than I expected also. It is just day one, but still, I had expectations of a SLOW bike with not-so-pretty craftsmenship and I was proven wrong already! I'm glad I made the plunge!

buymore
05-26-2007, 07:36 AM
I got about 40 miles on the DB-05 yesterday at slower speeds, medium rpms (guessing...no tach) and tached it up once to see what it at least read on the speedo (not sure how accurate?) but I had 60 mph and it was actually still climbing. I got to looking at my rear sprocket when I was reading here last night and my rear has a number "45" stamped in it. Is that a 45 tooth sprocket? It isn't a 46, 45 for sure. I'm going to change my oil today and try to find a better plug locally. I'll check the bolts all around to make sure everything is a-ok! Thanks

AZ200cc
05-26-2007, 12:11 PM
And check the spokes..That was one thing I read on here and when I checked, I had four that were loose on the front wheel.

NewEnglandTrails
05-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Buymore,

Glad to find another DB-05 owner.. or aka as rkm200E5. It is a sharp looking bike and so far quite versatile from my point of view..

I had better luck starting the bike after a C-Clip adjustment, the speedo is slower than a gpsr with regards to speed and it works well transitioning from onroad riding to rugged trails..

Keep me posted on your adventures.............

NET

buymore
05-26-2007, 10:48 PM
I changed the oil at 45 miles. I just went with Castrol 15w-40. I'll check it after another 100 miles or so and see what it looks like. I also had to let the rear brake out a little. It was tight on the rotor even at rest. I took a little spin around the yard and only used front brakes and the rear rotor was pretty warm, so I figured I better let a little out. Still lots of brake on the rear, but no more warm rotor! The front seemd ok. I'm lost on the "C-Clip adjustment", what are you referring to? I am really a newbie to these cycles. I had a Yamaha Maxim 750 about 14 year ago and it was only about a year or so that I had it. I never had to fix anything on it at all.

On tightening the spokes....does someone have a link or directions for that? When I was growing up, I got into lots of fits trying it one bikes, so any help at all will help. None feel loose, but the front wheel does seem to vibrate alot when it has no rider weight on it and running.

As for adventures...I plan on using it 99% of the time for work transportation and the other 1% will be trailing behind the wife and boys ont eh 4-wheelers! I have (2) China ATV's and a Suzuki Eiger. I like one of the kids 4-wheelers alot, but the other is ALOT of maintenance! I got a Yamoto 70cc for my youngest and I love it. Trouble free from the beginning! Fit and finish are premium! Runs like....well you get the picture! The other is a Kazuma 150 Dingo model. Absolutely a mess out fo the crate. Had brake problems right away. On my second complete system (at my cost) and in the process of replacing that, I found out the frame isn't quite "square" in certain spots...primarily where the foot brake assembly hooks up! It was never wrecked either, like that out of the box. It's also very top heavy and narrow. Vibrates the heck out your hands. Electronic choke works when it wants to? I certainly wish my older son would have picked a Yamoto also! I got my Eiger a year before the China ATV's and it has been one heck of a 4-wheeler! I couldn't complain one IOTA about it. I really cant complain much about price either. I bought my 2004 4x4 manual shift Eiger NEW for under $4600. Not far off from the top end China ATV's really. I suggested to my wife that she should jump on the cycle to try it out. So far I haven't convinced her, but it is only the second day!

katoranger
05-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Here is the link to the carb clip in the tech-info section.

Pretty straight forward.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=3

Allen

AZ200cc
05-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Heres one for spokes
http://www.dansmc.com/spokewheels.htm

NewEnglandTrails
05-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Buymore,

as far as the c-clip adjustment goes... Its not something that is necesarry to do.. But it may help if your having any issues. Ive got 3 china motors and the c-clip adjustment was performed on two of the engines.. One to get more fuel and the other to get less.

If all is running well... dont sweat it.. But its nice to know... if you develop any issues..

NET

buymore
05-28-2007, 06:54 AM
Mostly running well. The dealer said I may have to adjust the idle after a little loosening up. It seems I will have to do that. I now have to rev it a little even with the choke on to keep it running until it REALLY WARMS up. After I ride it about 5-10 minutes, it seems to idel very LOW, but it will stay running without constantly goosing it. No big deal.

I also checked my paperwork and I just realized it is a 2007 model. I had thought it was a 2006. Most of the Chinabike dealers around me are still selling 2006's, so I assumed it was a 2006. I also checked the sproket and it does have a "45" stamped in it. Is it possible that they changed the sprockets on thses for 2007? I haven't gotten down on all fours and counted teeth yet to verify how many teeth it has though!

NewEnglandTrails
05-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Buymore,

My 2006 DB-05 has a 13 front and 45 rear tooth sprockets.

NET

buymore
05-28-2007, 09:20 PM
I had my wife follow me in the car today and checked the speedo against the cars. Within 1-2 MPH's of the cars reading. I took it up to about 65 mph very briefly just to see if it had it and it had alittle more, but didn't really want to rev it that high yet for an extended period of time.

I know I need to get another plug or get some metric feelers to check my plug gap. I still get a littel pop once in awhile, even when warmed up. My local dealer only had a Champion copper Plus, no NGK's. I'll try the cycle shop by my work and get one tomorrow. Does anyone have any insight into alternative gapping? My book says .6-.7 mm. All I could do with the Chamion plug was match it to the Torch plug that was in it with my SAE feeler. I didn't have any conversion cross reference to check it against. I may just ask the cycle shop to set the plug at 6.5mm in the box for me.

I did adjust the idle up a little today and it seemed to run too fast once it warmed up. I turned it back a little and it still seemed too low. Just cant find that happy medium! Another thing I'm not sure of is the dealer topped off the tank...wonder if he used 87 octane gas? Stickers and books say 90 octane or higher. I'll switch over higher octane once I get it close to empty.

NewEnglandTrails
05-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Buymore: This thread may help with spark plugs:

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1395&highlight=spark+plugs

Also.. the octane is going to have an effect on the firing temperature of your cylinder, what is best for break in.. ? there are articles on break ins and the octane ratings if you do a search.. "Chinariders reports you decide!"

Ive only run 87 octane in my engines.. 15-40 rotella t oil, ngk dr8-ea plug. Im at a comfortable place with my China bikes at this point. Your experience may be totally different.. You gotta get some metric gappers. Hopefully you already have some metric tools..

Once you get in rythym with your bike by letting it demonstrate which suits it best. Please share it with us.. My two chinese bikes settled down at about 200km's After which I did the C-Clip adjustments, fine tuned the idle and they have been a pleasure ever since..

Keep me up to date on your results.. and don't forget to check twice before turning left..

NET