PDA

View Full Version : Baja/Tank 250 Rebel Clone Parts help

dzero
05-11-2012, 11:35 PM
I picked up a Baja 250 that had been sitting with broken plastics on the very very cheap, 65 miles on the clock. Got it running without any issues and took it for a spin; when I had been pushing it around I had noticed it felt like the rear wheel was dragging, I figured it was rusty brake pads.

Well the rear wheel locked up solid while I was riding it(at low speeds and in my neighborhood). The rear wheel bearing is seized to the axle shaft, are these parts obtainable? I want to replace the front while I'm at it, or this thing is going to be a death trap.

Weldangrind
05-12-2012, 03:36 AM
Welcome!

Sure, you can find spare parts, but all it's likely to need is new bearings. Pound the old ones out and take them to the local bearing supply shop, where they'll match 'em up. Choose sealed bearings while you're at it. Use a wire brush or a wire wheel on the axle and slather it with grease. You should be good to go. Better do the front wheel while you're at it.

Good score on a low mile bike! :D

FastDoc
05-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Scary! 8O

I agree, as usual with Weld.

Do the front bearing too. A seizure there would be catastrophic.

Weldangrind
05-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Front wheel bearing failure could be Superman-like. 8O

dzero
05-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

Shouldn't I replace the axle as well? This is only my second bike and I am starting to really question whether I really want to risk it at freeway speeds; I bought the bike to commute to college next fall.

I've also got to replace the front brake handle/resevoir as the sight glass got eaten away by the brake fluid. I thought about putting a dime there and JB Weld, but the piston is pushed all the way in and I don't see how to make it return; do they normally have springs? It doesn't look like it comes apart.

Weldangrind
05-14-2012, 01:29 AM
If the sight glass is gone, I'd just replace the whole deal. Likely cheap and plentiful on eBay.

No, I probably wouldn't replace the axle; it's just a big bolt. I'd clean it, grease it and install it.

TheRealWorld
08-18-2012, 12:24 AM
When you get this bike back on the road, please let me know what kind of speed you take it up to. I don't want you to press your luck, but what ever you feel comfortable with.

SpudRider
08-18-2012, 02:40 AM
Welcome; we are glad you joined us! :)

I agree with the others. Replace all 4 wheel bearings and keep the axles. Also replace the master cylinder of the front brake. ;)

Spud :)

Guy
09-01-2012, 09:38 PM
I posted my experience with Baja/hensim 250 parts here:
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=14798

66Sprint
11-30-2012, 07:16 AM
Just to get technical, the axle simply compresses (holds) all the wheel spacers and the bearing centers together, and keeps/prevents them from spinning.....The wheels actually rotate on the balls/rollers of the bearings, NOT on the axle...

TheRealWorld
11-30-2012, 10:19 PM
dzero

Ever get this bike on the road?