PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first bike: Baja Phoenix 250

Biggs
06-17-2012, 11:33 PM
I just purchased a Baja Phoenix px250 for cheap. It only has 2300 miles on it, and it looks to be in amazing shape. It sat for over a year with gas in the tank, so the fuel gauge sensor is shot as well as the fuel valve leading to the carb.

I got it to run and idle for a bit multiple times with some starter fluid into the air cleaner, and a new battery of course, it sounded very strong and no odd noises that i could find. I ordered the two new parts online earlier today.

I bought this bike to be my new way to work and school. Im just wondering if it is possible, or safe, to take it on the freeway at 65mph for 10-20 mile stretches. It was dirt cheap and is in almost perfect shape, so i am hopeful. Anybody have any information that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

FastDoc
06-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Sounds like you are only a good carb and petcock cleaning away from a good commuterbike on the cheap!

Don't forget to change the oil and check the valves and the air cleaner.

As far as the freeway I don't know. IF it's flat, IF there's no headwind, and IF you're less than about 190 I THINK it would be OK.

Biggs
06-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Well, the website i ordered the parts from called me earlier and said that they actually dont have the parts, even though it said they did on their website.

Anyone know a place to get parts?

TheRealWorld
06-30-2012, 12:18 AM
I don't have an answer for you, but I will if no one else comes up with one. I have had trouble getting proper parts, for the same bike. I am hoping some of the guys here can help you out and me also.

I have one of these, and I like it. Be gentle on the tranny, you may or may not have a moody one. I do, but it keeps going! I have never ridden mine full speed like you are hoping to, and I cant tell you if it will hold up. If it is geared from the factory, that is hard on that engine.

Hello to all you guys I have not talked to in a couple of years, I have so many life distractions, as you do also!

Good luck!

SilveradoSS
07-02-2012, 04:37 AM
Check my post in the link below for info on ordering parts for your bike.

http://chinariders.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=152753#152753

TheRealWorld
07-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Wow, I will look this over tonight when I have more time. I really appreciate your input, and I will let you know what I find.

GonzoX
07-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Pictures pictures pictures.
Lets see them LOL.

SilveradoSS
07-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Well I took down the Baja today for the blown head gasket and found........well........there was no head gasket! Ha! Ha!

Also, while they were assembling the cylinder and cylinder head, they crushed one of the alignment sleeves! Pics attached below:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t38/flash_gordon_2007/Motorcycle%20Pics/WP_000040.jpg (http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t38/flash_gordon_2007/Motorcycle%20Pics/?action=view&current=WP_000040.jpg)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t38/flash_gordon_2007/Motorcycle%20Pics/WP_000039.jpg (http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t38/flash_gordon_2007/Motorcycle%20Pics/?action=view&current=WP_000039.jpg)

TheRealWorld
07-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Sad to see, good luck with the fix! Thanks for the pictures.

SilveradoSS
07-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Well, got the head gasket replaced, buttoned everything back up and proceeded to test run the bike. Gave it the aerosol carb cleaner test, engine running and squirting cleaner around the head gasket area, and bike started stumbling! Man I'm PO'd! I cranked the head studs down until I thought I was gonna break 'em off. All that work and for nothing. Gonna have to tear it down again. I'm tempted to buy some form-a-gasket and squeeze my own gasket seal.

This is my first China machine that I've owned that has given me this much trouble. All of the others were fairly solid. Guess you keep rolling the dice, eventually you'll land a lemon. I'm still determined to get this thing running. My goal is to make it run every bit as good as the Honda Rebel 250 it's a knock off of.

At one point before I started having the leaky head gasket issue, I had rejetted to match the Rebel and had changed to a 30 tooth from the 34 tooth stock sprocket and was able to hit a speedo indicated 87 mph. Stock, I could only muster 70 mph indicated. I know that the speedos are not exactly accurate on these things, but she was moving WAY faster than stock.

Once I get the engine ironed out, I've got some plans for the rest of the bike. A repaint, finish out the exhaust and some other odds and ends.

TheRealWorld
07-17-2012, 11:01 PM
You sound like a knowledgeable mechanic, but I think you need to put a dial indicator on your head surfaces, and figure out what is wrong. I think one needs to be ground or both. If I had to guess, the trouble will be in the area of the damaged area you showed us the picture of.

Again, good luck!

Weldangrind
07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
If you have a head or cylinder imperfection that you can't resolve, I wonder if stacking two head gaskets would help?

FastDoc
07-18-2012, 11:42 AM
The head must be warped. Bring it to a machine shop and get it checked and planed.

A recent thread espoused the benefits of spray on copper gasket sealent for head gaskets. I would not use two. This is a low compression low power bike to begin with and that will only slow it down more.

You may also have a crack that you're missing. :?

There's more to the story here obviously. How did the bike wind up in this condition in the first place? Figuring that out will help find the solution.

Thanks for the pics too, BTW.

You'll get it going don't worry. :D

SilveradoSS
07-20-2012, 10:28 AM
I bought the bike with 15 miles on it. I'm certain that there was nothing done to it before I got it. You roll the dice every time you buy one of these things. I bought it knowing that I would have to work on it. I just wasn't expecting to have to go this deep. I'm fairly certain that the bike left China with all of these issues from the assembly line. No matter, that is part of what interests me about these machines. I actually enjoy all of the tinkering.

Weldangrind
07-20-2012, 10:34 AM
I can appreciate that. Some days I get more satisfaction from fixing than riding.

FastDoc
07-20-2012, 11:32 AM
I agree!

Here's the funny thing.

I'd rather help or fix a friend's bike than my own. What's that all about?

My favorite though is riding. 8)

SilveradoSS
07-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I have a friend that bought a 95 Yamaha Seca II 650 for $600. He's in the midst of restoring the bike and asked me to help him source parts for his bike knowing how much I'm into these China bikes and my knowledge of China bike parts interchangeability (read cheap). I was able to cross-reference and source parts for his bike that were listed as obsoleted for his particular model with parts that are still used on other production bikes (some even Chinese). I spend hours rummaging the net trying to figure out how all these machines are related and from what mainstream machine they were knocked off from.

It's a hobby for me, really. My wife thinks I'm crazy and wonders why I don't just buy a "solid" Japanese bike to begin with, but I enjoy the challenges that these machines throw at me. I don't want a "solid" bike, I want a bike that needs me more than I need it. These machines are decent designs, but poorly executed. I'm the details "engineer" to take them to a reliable/dependable state!

SilveradoSS
07-20-2012, 08:43 PM
If you have a head or cylinder imperfection that you can't resolve, I wonder if stacking two head gaskets would help?

I think herein lies the rub. The gasket set I ordered had the head gasket sandwiched between two other gaskets. I mistook this setup as "the" head gasket. I think I was supposed to remove the center gasket from the outer two gaskets before installing. The outside two gaskets have two crimped on metal rings one on either side; probably for alignment during the stamping process. I think I was supposed to remove them and only use the center gasket. Basically what I'm saying is the gasket I installed consisted of three gaskets layered one upon the other. I'm gonna break her down and remove the two outer layers and re-install the center gasket by itself. Fingers crossed! :lol: 8O :lol:

FastDoc
07-20-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm not sure but I think you did it right. Maybe PM Wild Alaskan. He'd know for sure.

Weldangrind
07-21-2012, 01:04 AM
It sounds like a MLS with a composite sandwich. Never seen that.

Weldangrind
07-21-2012, 01:06 AM
I don't want a "solid" bike, I want a bike that needs me more than I need it.

That's the best line ever! :lol:

I say that our Chinese friends do the rough-in, and we do the details.

SilveradoSS
07-21-2012, 07:21 AM
I don't want a "solid" bike, I want a bike that needs me more than I need it.

That's the best line ever! :lol:

I say that our Chinese friends do the rough-in, and we do the details.

:wink: :mrgreen: :lol:

TheRealWorld
07-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Just a little humor here, but a few years back I bought a China 4 wheeler and one of the warning stickers said. " Caution you will be killed if you don't follow the Warnings on this machine. (As most of you know they don't always get their English? Chinese conversions done properly.)

Anyhow, I have been very careful, as I take threats very seriously!