PDA

View Full Version : Is this a decent bike?

shortyg83
07-27-2012, 08:52 AM
My father is looking for something cheap to do some street riding. Nothing highway just around town and such.
He was looking at this
http://bajamotorsports.net/categories/motorcycles/products/PX250_baja-phoenix-250

is this bike decent?
He found it for under 1k brand new.

katoranger
07-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Look down a few threads for the one on the hensim 250. Also there is another member who bought the baja.

Shift linkage is a problem that can be addressed. Under $1K, maybe.

SpudRider
08-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Under $1,000 is a nice price. However, if this is the bike which has transmission problems, I don't think I would want it. :roll:

Spud :)

FastDoc
08-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Tempting but more than a few members had non-resolvable transmission problems with the Hensiem. There was also the linkage issues which is not a big deal.

IIRC the tranny failures occured at low mileage so.....

If a guy found one with a few miles on it that was good it might make a nice bike.

SpudRider
08-17-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't remember. Is this Baja bike the same as the Hensim 250? :?:

Spud :)

FastDoc
08-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I don't know for sure but they look the same.

SpudRider
08-17-2012, 01:30 PM
I would not want to split the crankcase trying to fix the transmission in a Hensim 250. :roll:

Spud :?

FastDoc
08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Agreed. Even if a person could identify the problem then what? Where would he get a gear, and if he did it would not help in the long run because it would be the same gear that failed.

Unless a Rebel's parts would be interchangeable, and I would not bet on that.

SpudRider
08-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Who wants to split the crankcase in a new bike? :roll: I don't look forward to that task with a Japanese bike, let alone a Chinese bike. ;) Besides the broken parts, you need a full gasket set, et cetera. Splitting the crankcase takes a lot of time and money. :(

Spud :roll:

TheRealWorld
08-22-2012, 11:50 PM
I have one that I have had for several years, I have not ridden it a lot, and I have had the transmission issues form the start. I have never torn it apart, and think I might be able to fix it, but I will continue to ride, and shift carfully and maybe it will hold up. I used to have a honda years ago, and that transmission was flawless, but now I am old and cheap, and I still feel I got my money's worth.

Keep looking and see if you can find someone who has one that the tranny is not a problem. What is the actual price they are asking.