PDA

View Full Version : Big UTV

TheRealWorld
08-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Anyone care to comment on the UTV being sold by Menards? Who is it made by, any experience with one. Got a recommendation? Below is a link to one I might be interested in.

http://www.menards.com/main/lawn-garden/outdoor-power-equipment/power-sports/yardsport-ys700xlt-4x4-gas-utility-vehicle/p-1770196.htm

katoranger
08-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Looks like it shares alittle with the yamaha rhino. At least styling wise.

http://www.rc-trucks.org/yamaha-rhino.htm

I couldn't find any real info on it.

katoranger
08-19-2012, 12:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=vUn7GJ6HZCQ

Also the qlink frontrunner 700 looked similar. All rhino clones.

TheRealWorld
08-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the reply, I may get one of these, but I will do lots of research first. It will be interesting to see if someone knows a bit about them.

katoranger
08-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Menards is pretty limited to the midwest. I don't think many people here have bought larger UTVs or ATVs.

TCCKSR
08-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Its another one of the CHINO (Chinese Rhinos). THere is a guy on Quads.ca (TMAX) that swears buy them.

BUT the metal is not the same, quality check is not the same, parts are not always a perfect swap over so they are not the same as a YAMAHA Rhino.

You get what you pay for. I would suggest waiting and find a good used Rhino and get a better machine in the long run.

Why I only buy NON-CHINESE stuff now, sick of repairing the chinese crap.

MICRider
08-19-2012, 03:50 PM
A guy at work is thinking of getting a UTV similar to this... It's about 10K here, I'd be real nervous about dropping that kind of cash on something that I might not be able to get parts for down the road. Hate to say it but I would definitely buy used name brand in this case over chinese. I bought my Konker from a well established seller who had been around for years and then pffft... Gone overnight!

katoranger
08-19-2012, 04:31 PM
I feel the same at the price point you are looking at. If you found a used one for cheap then maybe. $7K is pretty steep for an off brand of something.

TheRealWorld
08-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Some great Points! I will drag my feet on this, but keep researching it. I will keep in touch!

katoranger
08-19-2012, 07:23 PM
What are your plans for it?

TheRealWorld
08-19-2012, 07:46 PM
I plan to work it hard in the woods and on the farm.

FastDoc
08-19-2012, 11:08 PM
I plan to work it hard in the woods and on the farm.

These things are big. Too big to transport or fit on any trail narrower than a Subaru, IMHO.

If you have places to use it, and don't have to transport it there, I bet it would be a riot. :P

Andy had a Q Link version. Good unit but about the size of a kiddie pool. :lol:

FLASHLIGHTBOY
08-19-2012, 11:30 PM
First check with RIV if you can bring in that uts ... just because they sell it in the USA.. does not mean you can bring it into Canada.. they will crush it if you are not allowed to bring it in... you can not do any mods to it.. it has to meet the redulations when it comes into Canada.. I know I have brought stuff in from CHINA check with the RIV peopel first before you try to bring any stuff from the USA. ,.. OR YOU WILL BE SORRY when they take it from you... they will tell you that you can come down & watch them crush it.. nice of them

TheRealWorld
08-19-2012, 11:46 PM
I Live in Wisconsin so I have no fear of most government, but thanks for the input!

TheRealWorld
08-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Hey Doc, can you find a link on that Q link. I don't mind having to tinker with these things, so I might consider one of them.

katoranger
08-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Qlink has a few different models.

http://www.qlinkmotor.com/products/products.php?type=utvs

They have a dealer in Birchwood WI. Might be one closer to you, but I don't know your zip. I used a MN one that I knew.

TheRealWorld
08-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks, I will look in to that. When did you move to Kansas?

FastDoc
08-20-2012, 12:26 PM
I just checked the Q website and I don't see it anymore. It was a Yamaha Rhino clone, and a very close clone as I recall. I dont remember it's name though. Sorry. :cry:

FastDoc
08-20-2012, 12:26 PM
I Live in Wisconsin so I have no fear of most government, but thanks for the input!

True that!

You guys are one of THE up and coming 'Freedom' States in the US right now!

TheRealWorld
08-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Yes Doc, and I am working to see that continue! Also speak up in your state because there are many people going to move in and try to take your freedom and give it to the Government!

FastDoc
08-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Also true. :cry:

The West (wet) side of my state is quite liberal. East of the Cascade moluntains though in the desert/country it is very conservative.

Same applies to Oregon, and truth be told, California.

katoranger
08-20-2012, 03:02 PM
I have been in Kansas since May.

TheRealWorld
09-02-2012, 11:09 PM
OK, I have done a great deal of research, and I am reasonably sure I will not buy one of the clones. I have read some real harsh stuff. It is to much money to take a chance. Thanks for all your help guys!

MICRider
09-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Well, against my advice my buddy at work went ahead and bought that ODES side by side... 10K, hope she's a gooder! :lol:

I'll let you guys know what he thinks of it after he gets some hours on it :)

TheRealWorld
09-04-2012, 10:08 PM
This will be very interesting, and I sure with him the best!

MICRider
09-04-2012, 10:29 PM
This will be very interesting, and I sure with him the best!

Me too, that's a lot of coin! I think he bought this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKcxcqWbQHc&feature=player_embedded#!

His son has one of those small 150cc UTV's and I guess they took them out on a local trail, both machines did well and they had a great time.

TheRealWorld
11-08-2012, 11:30 PM
MICRider,

I have done some more research and I am considering this again. How is your friends holding up?

MICRider
11-09-2012, 08:04 AM
MICRider,

I have done some more research and I am considering this again. How is your friends holding up?

I'm not sure how many hours he managed to accumulate on them but he did manage to get them out for a few good outings. He's very happy with them so far. Now our weather has tanked in a big way so I'm not sure how much they'll be using them.

Only problems he mentioned were that his seatbelt re-tractor failed when the seat belt was pulled all the way out, he was able to disassemble it and repair it himself. And his son had a problem with the 150 but it was repaired by the dealer under warranty.

One thing I hadn't thought of was that he managed to run something over and rip the sidewall out of a tire on his ODES machine. He went back to the dealer to get a new tire but found out that the machine uses a bit of an oddball tire (not size, I think brand/tread pattern) and the tire would have to be ordered as they aren't stocked locally. Luckily the dealer had a take off from another machine that he was able to sell him so he didn't have to wait for the new tire to be ordered in :).

TheRealWorld
11-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks, for the fast and informational reply. I found someone that has purchased one, and has not had it long, but likes it. I figure these people might be a bit protective of their machine, as most people have tried to convinced them not buy it.

I will do more research and report back, I won't do this soon if I buy one.

Anyone know why these big machines only have a one cylinder engine?

katoranger
11-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Seems like most of the big UTVs only have a single. Suppose it is easier maintenance and lower cost. Also lots of torque.

MICRider
11-09-2012, 01:50 PM
On the subject of the big UTV's, my brother in law recently bought a big Polaris one, I think it's an 800 Ranger or something? He paid over $17,000 for it, guessing closer to $20,000 by the time he got it home with the options he picked. At that price point the Chinese ones are less than half the cost. Again though, my only fear is the future availability of parts down the road. :?:

katoranger
11-09-2012, 01:59 PM
$20K. 8O Why have a ranger 800 at work. Its is not worth it.

I don't spend that for cars.

MICRider
11-09-2012, 02:04 PM
$20K. 8O Why have a ranger 800 at work. Its is not worth it.

I don't spend that for cars.

Lol, that's what I said when he bought it :lol:

He's much wealthier than me though and doesn't even bat an eye at purchases like that... Lol, in my dreams! He also just bought a brand new sled... :roll:

katoranger
11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Sleds are $15. :wink:

FastDoc
11-09-2012, 02:33 PM
A guy can get a beautiful FORD Ranger for a fraction of that!

katoranger
11-09-2012, 02:35 PM
I could have a new tractor with a loader and mower for less.

FastDoc
11-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Or a good portion of a second home in some areas!

MICRider
11-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Heck, I've still got 1973 green laminate countertops on my kitchen cabinets... :lol:

TheRealWorld
11-09-2012, 09:43 PM
I just looked up a John Deere Gator, a fancy one. Comes with a three cylinder, and only cost 20 grand! I think for the most part it is a Kawasaki Mule, in John Deere green!

Weldangrind
11-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Heck, I've still got 1973 green laminate countertops on my kitchen cabinets... :lol:

Classic! :D

MICRider
11-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Classic! :D

I know right? Lol, I blow all my money on stuff I don't need and don't spend any on the house... Impulse buying is a powerful disease! :oops:

TheRealWorld
11-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Just to let you know, I think I am going to buy one of these, as soon as they run a promotional price. I expect they will, they did a few months a go. The price should be about 63 hundred for the Yamaha Rhino clone made by HiSun I think. It will also have the aluminum wheels, winch, doors, and the 700 cc engine. I talked to the ATV repair shop that does the repair, and he says they appear to be identical. He says he thinks it is a great machine. Below is the link.

http://www.menards.com/main/lawn-garden/outdoor-power-equipment/power-sports/yardsport-ys700xlt-4x4-gas-utility-vehicle/p-1770196.htm

TCCKSR
11-30-2012, 02:40 AM
I know a few guys that have bought the HISUN clone RHINO's.

they all say the same:

take all the critical nuts off and replace them with nylock nuts
put electrical grease in all the electrical connectors
change the oil and put synthetic in as soon as you get it home
whenever you replace a part when it breaks see if the YAMAHA part will replace it NOT the chinese part.
put some good rubber on it and get rid of the cheap stock tires they send it with, they will be flat or torn and leave you stuck way out there. Use them as spares if you canfind some cheap steel rims to put them on and mount them in the box, one front tire and one rear.

other than that they all love them and they are 1/3 the cost so you can do some serious options and put lots of repair money in and have a nice machine that lasts for a lot of years.

TheRealWorld
11-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the input, I have had several negative comments, so yours are good to hear. I love bargains, but that is yet to be seen. I will wait for the sale price, and then, I will buy unless I get some bad info.

TheRealWorld
01-19-2013, 10:08 PM
I am very close to buying on of the Rhino clones. The sale has started, so the price I will pay is 6240.00. Anyone got an update on any of these Hisun unites? The info on it is below.

The Yardsport 700XLT is a heavy-duty, 4 wheel drive, gas powered utility vehicle that is perfect for doing work around the farm, home, business or use as a pack machine to get you out to your favorite hunting spot.

It has a top speed of 48mph, automatic CV transmission with forward, neutral and reverse gears and a 34HP, 4 cycle, OHV, single cylinder liquid cooled engine. It also has an independent suspension with heavy-duty coil over springs to provide you with a smooth ride. This utility vehicle has hydraulic disc brakes for better control while you work and play.

You will be able to go the distance with this utility vehicle because it can hold 7.6 gallons of fuel and has a range of 130 miles! The Yardsport 700XLT UTV has a 8.2' inside turning radius, a 350 pound bed capacity and 1200 pound towing capacity to handle your toughest jobs.

This Yardsport 700XLT 4x4 UTV has several special features including heavy-duty front bumper, latching plastic doors, dual 3pt lap/shoulder belts, 12V auxiliary outlet for accessories, dump bed, headlights, taillights, all-terrain off-road tires and 1-1/4" receiver hitch. This utility vehicle also features the XLT upgrades including custom hardtop, custom windshield, 3500 lb. winch, cup holders, latching plastic doors & aluminum rims.

34HP at 7000RPM
Top speed of 48 mpg
Automatic CVT with forward/neutral/reverse
On-command push button 4-wheel drive with selectable differential lock
Independent suspension with heavy duty coil over springs
350 lb capacity rear manual dump bed
1200 lb towing capacity
Heavy duty front bumper
12 volt auxiliary plug, headlights, taillights
Latching plastic doors, hardtop, windshield, 3500 lb winch, aluminum rims, cup holders, mirrors
1 1/4" receiver hitch
This item is not for sale to these states: WY

Ship Dim: 90.2 x 57.1 x 33.5
Shipping Weight: 1570.0 lbs

TCCKSR
01-21-2013, 09:22 PM
I say buy it, do the upgrades I suggested and keep a running post of all you have done to it with pictures and let us know how good it is. I think for the cost you cant go wrong.

PS: check what tires guys in your area best suit your soil and terrain needs. I know for us here in Pacific Northwest area it is the Maxxis Big Horns (not the 2.0). Get some good rubber on that and I bet you will be one happy guy. (Buy the tires online too as you will pay half of what you will in the stores.)

TheRealWorld
01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
By the time I got there, I had to order it. Should have it in a week. I will let you all know how it holds up, and what I find. Thanks for the input.

TheRealWorld
01-26-2013, 11:11 PM
I got it today, and don't have much info yet. The one thing I can tell you is this has the best looking welds I have ever seen! I have a Honda 4 Trax, these welds are better! I may be a bit slow on my reports, as it is winter and I have become very busy.

MICRider
01-26-2013, 11:24 PM
I got it today, and don't have much info yet. The one thing I can tell you is this has the best looking welds I have ever seen! I have a Honda 4 Trax, these welds are better! I may be a bit slow on my reports, as it is winter and I have become very busy.

Grats! 8)

You do know that we're going to need pictures... Lot's of pictures! Lol :wink:

TheRealWorld
01-26-2013, 11:31 PM
I need to work on those pictures, thanks for the encouragement!

Weldangrind
01-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Awesome! I'm also looking forward to pics. :D

TCCKSR
01-27-2013, 12:41 PM
I can't wait to see the pics, the first ride video and the long term reports on your new toy.

Congrats on it and have a ball with it!!

TheRealWorld
01-27-2013, 01:04 PM
I need a bit of help on the pics, but til then here is a link on all the details. I actually paid $6300

MICRider
01-27-2013, 03:24 PM
I need a bit of help on the pics, but til then here is a link on all the details. I actually paid $6300

Jim did up an awesome tutorial on using an online host for your pics and how to put them in your posts, here's the link :)
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11188

TheRealWorld
01-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Ok thanks a bunch.

TCCKSR
01-27-2013, 06:07 PM
the new version of photobucket actually makes it even easier. they autoi copy links into your clipboard which means you jusdt need to right click here and paste them.

katoranger
02-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Over a week and no pictures. :cry:

TheRealWorld
02-05-2013, 08:38 PM
I took some, but I need to get around to putting them on. Hope to do it soon!

katoranger
02-06-2013, 08:16 AM
You better have some action shots.

katoranger
02-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Any update?

Just realized this will also fit into the UTV forum better. Moving it down there.

katoranger
02-28-2013, 02:17 PM
I like the doors. The maintenance guys tipped over the polaris ranger we have at work and one stuck his foot out. Fortunately only sprained on ankle.

I have a door inserts on order for it. We don't need any workman's comp claims.

The chainsaw and roll of barb wire manage miss them as it went over. Lesson learned to slow down on the ice and snow covered roads.

katoranger
02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Free UTV safety course.

http://cbt.rohva.org/

TheRealWorld
03-01-2013, 12:43 AM
I have been hesitating, as I have not had the time to figure out the picture thing. I have had several offers help, but need the time to work on it. Most of you have the tech gene, I don't.

The UTV starts very well, even at zero degrees. I have not found any flaws yet. I may have mentioned this has the best welds of any machine I have ever seen. The shift in the tranny from reverse to forward works well, but after shifting you need to tap the throttle gently to encourage the shift. It might be a bit noisy, but I don't have the experience to say. I have not found anything wrong with it at all.

But I have only used it about 15 times. I have looked it over very close. I will give you updates as I have more time and better weather to use it. Spring is just around the corner!

Weldangrind
03-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Is reverse housed in the trans or the axle?

katoranger
03-01-2013, 08:27 AM
The polaris does the same type of thing shifting.

TheRealWorld
03-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Weldandgrind..... I don't know about reverse, but I will research it. I assume this is some kind of electric switching, and then some of the mechanical movement is required by some mechanical pressure. I do have to shift a lever manually, but it seems like I am not moving gears in the physical shift. I realize that does not seem to make complete sense!