PDA

View Full Version : rear brake barely stops

TheGammaGhost
09-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Hello!

Installed a new set of rear brake pads today, $12 for the set, and they fit perfect.

Problem is, i have to push my rear brakes super far down to get any stopping power. Also i can't really slam on the brakes at all. it wont fully enable. I can also push the rear brake down a lore more than i used to be able too. any ideas on how to fix this? thanks!

SpudRider
09-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Hello!

Installed a new set of rear brake pads today, $12 for the set, and they fit perfect.

Problem is, i have to push my rear brakes super far down to get any stopping power. Also i can't really slam on the brakes at all. it wont fully enable. I can also push the rear brake down a lore more than i used to be able too. any ideas on how to fix this? thanks!
Do you have drum brakes, or a disc brake? In either case, you need to adjust the rear brake pedal. ;) Adjusting the brake pedal for a drum brake is very simple, and doesn't even require any tools. Adjusting the brake pedal for a disc brake is slightly more difficult, but it's still an easy job. ;)

Spud :)

Wild_Alaskan
09-06-2012, 01:37 AM
If you have a disc brake don't adjust the engagement so that the piston is compressed when the pedal is released this can result in the rear wheel locking up without warning if you get in a situation where the fluid boils. you may need to pull the rear wheel off and push the brake pedal until the pads are closer together, then spread them with a screw driver just enough to get the disc between them. you may also need to bleed the system

TheGammaGhost
09-06-2012, 11:20 AM
They are disc brakes, Ill mess around with it after work.

TheGammaGhost
09-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Okay, i don't really feel like taking my rear wheel off at the moment, So i think i'll bleed my rear brakes and see if that does it. I seen a video online, it seem'd pretty strait forward.

SpudRider
09-08-2012, 12:42 AM
You don't need to remove your rear wheel to adjust the brake pedal, GG. ;) You usually remove a cotter pin on a bolt which secures the rear brake pedal to the master cylinder. Then you adjust the linkage to get the correct brake pedal movement, and replace the cotter pin. ;)

Spud :)