PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Lifan Enduro engine question

Aj1
09-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Hey all, i'm new here but i have a question. I recently came across a 2007 Lifan GY-5 i believe its called for sale. The person selling it said when he got it out this year the engine was siezed and won't turn over. Presumably from sitting and not being winterized. ( I'm in Michigan) In any case is this something that is a real possibility? Or I was thinking that possibly that maybe the starter/bendix has just locked up? Any thoughts are appreciated!! BTW I am a very experienced mechanic and have no problems making repairs. Just don't have alot of knowledge about these bikes/engines. Thanks!

FastDoc
09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
I've never heard of one of these 'sieze' per se but if it was run out of oil or run way to lean it could have happened...

On the other hand a lot of people don't know what they are talking about and use incorrect terminology.

Take a look at it.

If the motor is siezed it can be semi easy/cheap to replace or repair but I'd consider it a parts bike with a value not over a couple hundred bucks, IF it has a title.

katoranger
09-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Possible to rings rusted to the cylinder. Also the petcock may have leaked and filled the crankcase with gas.

Put it in gear and rock it a few times. It may free up. Don't try to force the kickstarter.

Aj1
09-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks so much guys, i'm glad to see that people actually reply to posts on this forum. This whole "siezed" engine thing is what is worrying me about buying this bike. I have all the needed mechanical ability to fix the bike even if it really has say, rusted piston rings. That happened to my most recent bike which is a KL250 79' and i had to beat the hell out of the cylinder to get it off. HOWEVER, it had spent the better part of the last 10ish years outside by a river that tends to flood and in michigan winters. It didnt bode well for it. In any case, I think this bike was at least stored indoors for the winter. I plan to make arrangements to go see it on sat. so we'll see about if there is actually anything wrong with it or maybe its just something small that i can repair easily. It wouldn't be the first time for sure!! I'm still kinda hoping that its simply a locked up starter/bendix because thats an easy fix, even if i can only get it loose and then use the kickstart. Thanks for the thoughts guys!!

katoranger
09-21-2012, 08:27 AM
If anything the price should be cheap. Make sure is shifts into gear also.

wilserchinarider
09-21-2012, 11:28 PM
yes, just because the owner says the engine is siezed, it doesn't really mean anything, some if not most china bike owners know nothing at all...while buying my first china bike I asked the guy if the oil had ever been changed...he looked at me straight up and said there is no oil, it's air cooled. 8O

SpudRider
09-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Let us know what you discover after examining the bike, AJ. :)

Spud :)

TheRealWorld
09-22-2012, 10:41 PM
This might be a fun one to watch! Did I miss what Lifan it is?

Aj1
09-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Sorry fellas, no news, Its a LF 200 GY-5 to answer the question. I've been trying to set up a time to go see this bike but the Owner seems to never have time except for the weekends. I'm guessing because of work. I meant to ask if there is no title ( i'm not sure it may have one) how would i go about getting one? as i said im in michigan if anyone knows about that. I think that it makes alot of sense that he may not know what he's talking about with regard to the engine being siezed, but its not impossible i suppose. He's asking 200$ or best offer. I was hoping that maybe its not actually blown up and i can pick it up for like 100$ or so. If thats the case given that all or most of the other items I.E. forks wheels frame etc is in at least decent condition I think I may be able to get away with a pretty good deal. I have been interested in this bike for quite some time because my dad used to own a yamaha shop but we actually sold lifan untill he sold it. In any case they always interested me as a low cost decent little bike. Glad i found this forum, I like seeing all the other photos that people upload. I'll do my best to keep you guys posted and if i end up getting it im sure it'll need some kind of repairs and ill try to upload those pics!

ecoast
09-26-2012, 01:43 PM
no title = parts bike; especially if it were never registered/titled...

Hard to get it registered WITH a title, in some states!

katoranger
09-26-2012, 09:33 PM
I think Michigan requires titles on off-road machines too. If no title it may not be worth the hassle unless you wanted it for parts.