PDA

View Full Version : How much oil in a Lifan 163 FML motor?

moresnow
09-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Dropped oil. Refilled with 1 quart. Loosened upper bleed screw and started. No oil out the bleed? Oil window looks quite low? Thought 1 quart was the ticket? Pushrod motor.

FastDoc
09-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Usual is 1 liter, so you are close but a tad low.

If the bike was just turned off it may take a few minutes for the oil to settle back into the crankcase. Also the bike has to be perfectly vertical for the sight glass to be accurate. It is very sensitive to lean angle.

moresnow
09-28-2012, 02:06 PM
1 quart 5 oz seems to be the ticket. High side of the sight glass. Moved some oil out the bleed also. All back together. Thanks for the confirmation. Time to ride.

FastDoc
09-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Enjoy. 8)

Weldangrind
09-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Loosened upper bleed screw and started. No oil out the bleed?...Pushrod motor.

Which screw are you loosening? Is it the horizontal bolt that's on an angle on top of the valve cover? Got a pic?

moresnow
10-02-2012, 09:49 AM
"Which screw are you loosening? Is it the horizontal bolt that's on an angle on top of the valve cover? Got a pic?"

Affirmative. Understood this was correct procedure! Possibly not?

Weldangrind
10-02-2012, 10:19 AM
It could be, but I've never tried it. I've spotted that screw while removing the valve cover, but I wasn't sure if that was the design intent. I originally thought that it might be designed for an external oil cooler, but I think your idea is correct. Did you find that procedure in a tutorial?

moresnow
10-02-2012, 04:14 PM
The procedure was printed somewhere! Don't recall where however? It really did not have a positive flow as a tapped oil galley would. However it did seep oil which seemed to indicate oil was moving under the valve cover.

Weldangrind
10-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Yeah, it wouldn't take much oil to the top in order to keep the rockers happy. That's the beauty of a pushrod motor.