PDA

View Full Version : Lifan 125-3a electric start and fuel gauge dont work

jamesdt
09-30-2012, 03:34 AM
hi ive recently got a lifan 125-3a as my 1st bike its got two slight problems the electric start doesnt work at all the green light dims when i press the start button but nothing happens although it kicks fine also the fuel gauge doesnt work at all either, are there any common faults that would cause these problems or do i need to get my meter out and check all the wiring??

thanks in advance for your help

katoranger
09-30-2012, 09:12 AM
How is the battery?

jamesdt
09-30-2012, 09:47 AM
apparently theres a new one on it although the headlights look pretty dim when its running

katoranger
09-30-2012, 09:18 PM
It may be new, but not fully charged. I would give a good charge and then see what you have.

jamesdt
10-01-2012, 02:17 PM
thanks i just checked it with my meter and its over 12v and 13.8 when running ive checked what i believe is the start relay theres power going to it when the start buttons pressed but nothing happening not even a click could that be the fault?

katoranger
10-01-2012, 02:52 PM
It may be. What you can do is jump the two large terminals on the solenoid. If the engines turns over that is likely the problem.

Also make sure that the connections are good. Too small of ground(earth) wires are common. Adding a second or replacing with a heavier wire often helps.

jamesdt
10-01-2012, 03:17 PM
thanks i just bridged the live to the starter motor with a screw driver and boom shes alive im guessing that must have been it :).........now onto the fuel guage :?:

katoranger
10-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I would replace that solenoid with a new one then.

The guage is likely the sending unit in the tank.

jamesdt
10-06-2012, 06:59 PM
I would replace that solenoid with a new one then.

The guage is likely the sending unit in the tank.

changed the solenoid and its all good dont think ill bother with fuel gauge saying that it will probably irritate me into fixing it theres also another slight problem when i close the choke it stalls i have to leave it slightly open to keep it running, its on the handlebars so im guessing the cable may have stretched over time maybe? must add this is my 1st bike im pretty good with electrics especially 12v but engines and bikes i havent a clue every car ive driven has had an automatic choke am i doing something wrong?

SpudRider
10-06-2012, 09:37 PM
The pilot jet in your carburetor might be too small. Have you tried increasing the idle speed?

Spud :)

jamesdt
10-09-2012, 03:37 PM
so erm i had the choke open/closed back to front as its on the handlebars :oops:

jamesdt
10-09-2012, 03:47 PM
and now only the right indicator works guessing this is down to chinese build quality :? id did get a bit wet outside work yesterday which is when it started and randomly left indicator came on when riding home today after cancelling it it wouldnt come on again, are there any fuses on these things or just a mass of bad connections and relays :lol:

was just a loose connection sorted now