PDA

View Full Version : No spark!

OHagan
09-30-2012, 01:54 PM
I parked my bike for a day or two since I finished the water pump in my car and today when I went to go for a nice sunday ride, nothing! no sputter no nothing. Compression feels a little low too; though not sure. I grabbed my spare plug and tried to check for spark but didn't seem to have anything.

What are the other aspects to spark; CDI box? Rectifier? Stator?
What is a common thing to go out with these bikes?

Pabesco
09-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Might sound dumb but the first thing to check is the ignition on off switch. I had not studied my bike when I first got it and the switch was turned off and I didn't know so I tried for about 10 minutes to start it but couldn't. I looked all around the bike then found the red switch on the throttle handle and turned it on, I guess the next step would be to check the Cdi, but a more experienced owner will have to tell you how to check this, I'm learning as I go, hope it helps a bit

OHagan
09-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Funny suggestion but my bike doesn't have one; was broken off when I got the bike so I chopped the wires and haven't had an issue with that since.

KDocherty
09-30-2012, 02:50 PM
So it turns over but never starts. The wire could be loose checked that?

krzysztofqsza
10-01-2012, 05:24 AM
Funny suggestion but my bike doesn't have one; was broken off when I got the bike so I chopped the wires and haven't had an issue with that since.

I had a similar situation when a motor overheated riding across the fields.
I left my bike for three days, I could not turn later engine. Spark had to overheat, I replaced with a new one and everything worked.
See if you have spark at the spark plug, holding a spark plug with ignition cable and paying, when motor starting, to the metal motor housing, you will see the spark jump.

OHagan
10-01-2012, 11:48 AM

I had a similar situation when a motor overheated riding across the fields.
I left my bike for three days, I could not turn later engine. Spark had to overheat, I replaced with a new one and everything worked.
See if you have spark at the spark plug, holding a spark plug with ignition cable and paying, when motor starting, to the metal motor housing, you will see the spark jump.

This is how I figured out I had no spark; I also used a new sparkplug.

krzysztofqsza
10-01-2012, 11:58 AM
This is how I figured out I had no spark; I also used a new sparkplug.

The lights, horn and turn signals work?
In this forum I read that one driver had a problem with the current and at the end found he had tarnished the clamps on the battery and motor because it did not work.

Wild_Alaskan
10-01-2012, 03:06 PM
make sure the "chopped" killswitch wires haven't connected to each other or the frame

krzysztofqsza
10-01-2012, 04:18 PM
make sure the "chopped" killswitch wires haven't connected to each other or the frame

you need to check your instruction manual, it seems to me that if the kill switch is on "connected" you can start the engine.
If it is turned off "disconnected" you can not turn on the engine.

http://www.miniriders.com/images/uploads/thump140/orkwiringdiagram/29022-ork-wiring-diagram1.jpg

Here's more;
http://www.miniriders.com/bike-setup/29022-ork-wiring-diagram.html

Do you have instructions for the wiring diagram?