PDA

View Full Version : Crankcase mod

Pabesco
10-02-2012, 02:29 AM
Hey guys I'm about to do the left crankcase cover mod and need to know the best way to remove the stator before cutting. Also iv been trying to find someone who has a bandsaw to do the cutting and the only bandsaw iv found so far is in a meat shop and I was Told its the same thing. Is this correct? Also iv read that to reinstall I just need to use RTV silicone to seal properly.

Weldangrind
10-02-2012, 10:11 AM
There are several ways to accomplish the cut, and I would defer to Spud's recommendation. The only tip I have for you is to use the existing screw holes and screw the cover down to a work bench. That will hold it securely while you cut.

katoranger
10-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Any welding/metal shops nearby? They should have a saw. It will only take about 2 minutes to cut it.

Pabesco
10-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the reply and help guys, I will bolt it down a
Before cutting and I have a friend that is a welder and will check with him to see if he can do the cut for me, this isn't something I'll try myself seeing that I don't have a spare, Al's does anyone what spud suggested or have a link for it, I read but only saw where he took his to a shop to be cut
Thanks again

Pabesco
10-02-2012, 06:44 PM
You were right Kato. I asked my welder friend and he said it wod take him about 5 minutes to cut the cover without leaving too much of a gap space between the two parts. Thanks again for the advice. I'll be doing the mod on the weekend then change the sprockets and chain.

Pliskin
10-02-2012, 09:33 PM
need to know the best way to remove the stator before cutting
Get a proper tool, don't use the Allen tool from Zongs tool kit. It will just spin/strip inside the bolt. That was my experience but Spud didn't have this problem. I think he had a proper Allen tool. Also before cutting see if you can put inside crancase cover plastic wrapping, what they use to cover salad and things like that. You won't have to clean it.

Don't rush with this job. Look for a machinist if you want a nice cut. Otherwise it's really simple job and it shouldn't take more than 10 min.

Did you read Spud's post?
Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 Crankcase Cover Mod
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7559

SpudRider
10-03-2012, 02:07 AM
Hey guys I'm about to do the left crankcase cover mod and need to know the best way to remove the stator before cutting. Also iv been trying to find someone who has a bandsaw to do the cutting and the only bandsaw iv found so far is in a meat shop and I was Told its the same thing. Is this correct? Also iv read that to reinstall I just need to use RTV silicone to seal properly.
Use a good Allen key to remove the stator and pickup coil from the crankcase cover before you section the cover. ;)

After the cover is sectioned, replace the stator and pickup coil inside the cover, using red locktite to secure the bolts. I use Permatex Ultra Black RTV to seal the wire grommets which exit the crankcase cover.

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_permatex_ultra_black_maximum_oil_resistance_r tv_silicone_gasket_maker.htm

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/UMI-82180.jpg

Apply the RTV liberally. If you skimp on the RTV, you will get a messy oil leak at the grommets. :(

Spud :)

Pabesco
10-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks very much for the advice guys and I will follow this advice to the letter. I will line with plastic before cuting. Good idea for a quick cleanup

Pabesco
10-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Did the cut earlier today Went very well and looks good. I will post images in forum under new zong project