PDA

View Full Version : Bike cut off and now not starting

Pabesco
10-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Good day to all you experienced zong owners. I have a problem with my bike. I noticed very early this morning when I first started the bike it moved a bit sluggishly at first then it was fine. I parked at the location where I was going, the rain came down. After the rain I started the bike with no problem, rode about two blocks and the bike cut off and would not start anymore.
I am now charging the battery so I could test for spark at the plug. I know I will have to also check my Cdi but I don't know how to test it. Is there anything else that I can check. It has fuel. I drained the carb to see if it was full and it seems ok. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

FastDoc
10-15-2012, 02:41 PM
A CDI could do this.

They are hard to test. The best way is to always have a backup 'known good unit' to swap out at times like this.

You will need, AFAIK, a Zong specific one. Not expensive. Go to the Zongsite and there is a number to call.

Be aware sometimes a CDI will fail intermittantly at first before it tries to strand you...

Pabesco
10-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Would that be zongshen America? Also I removed the plug and put it close to the engine block and there is no fire. Wil I be able to test the Cdi if I ha e a circuit tester? I will check for connectivity from the kill switch through the alarm system then down to the coil. I know I will have to pass through the Cdi to do this but does anyone know a specific way to test the unit. Should I be seeing power through the tester wile trying to start if testing the Cdi ? I will try to find the diagram of the Cdi wiring that I saw in another post also. This may help me. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks agaain

obso
10-15-2012, 05:29 PM
No spark is most likely cdi or the pickup coil. However sometimes my zong just doesn't like heavy rain and will shut off and not start. Then when it dries out it will start right up and run fine.

But yes, call the # on the zongshen america site.

Pabesco
10-15-2012, 08:48 PM
I will call the number but any suggestions on how to test the Cdi and pickup coil? I will be buying a Cdi in any event but I would like to try testing. I might be able to find the problem and get it running.
Thanks again

MICRider
10-15-2012, 09:28 PM
I noticed you said you put the plug close to the block, you have to actually hold it firmly against the block or head to get a good ground and then see if you have spark at the electrode. Apologies if this is the way you tested it and I just misunderstood :)

SpudRider
10-16-2012, 01:14 AM
I suspect your CDI unit has failed. You cannot test the CDI unit, itself, other than to replace it with a known, good CDI unit. ;) I suggest you purchase a spare CDI unit from Zongshen America. A spare CDI unit greatly facilitates troubleshooting the bike's electrical system. :)

Spud :)

SpudRider
10-16-2012, 01:16 AM
You should measure the resistance of the pulse coil and pickup coil with a digital multimeter. The resistance values are listed in the Yamaha, TW200 Service Manual. ;)

Pabesco
10-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Ok guys thanks very much. I will test the resistance also. Does the company ship quickly? I don't want to be down too long. Also are there other parts I should order to keep on hand, as long as they Arnt too expensive. Thanks again to all of you. This will be a great Oppertunity for me to educate myself a bit more about my machine.

SpudRider
10-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Ok guys thanks very much. I will test the resistance also. Does the company ship quickly? I don't want to be down too long. Also are there other parts I should order to keep on hand, as long as they Arnt too expensive. Thanks again to all of you. This will be a great Oppertunity for me to educate myself a bit more about my machine.
Test the resistances from the pulse coil and pickup coil when the engine is stone cold; don't test the resistances after a ride. ;)

I think Zongshen America is shipping faster than they did previously. :) Ask them to ship the CDI unit as quickly as possible, and call them every day until they confirm they have shipped it out to you. ;) The only other place to get a Zongshen CDI unit is China, and they will certainly take longer to get it to you than Zongshen America. ;)

You might consider ordering some spare, ABS, upper side covers. You might also wish to order a pair of front brake pads and some spare cables. I would also order a few, spare, foam air filters, if you can get them. ;)

Wool-Z
10-16-2012, 07:26 PM
I had to get a new CDI at the start of summer I was worried I wouldnt get to ride this year. To my delight Zongshen America had me my new part in like a week. Very easy to deal with, was a little worried when they faxed me an order form and it was some what "generic" but Every thing was fine.

Pabesco
10-16-2012, 08:51 PM
I called the number listed on the website but kept getting an automated system and the operator is not available. And they say to dial 412 for the directory but it doesn't work, I will try again tomorrow. Any idea how much a Cdi will cost from zongshenamerica? Also do they carry the cables and plastics.
I was also trying everything I could to see how to order from taobao trends but cannot get the URL to paste and submit, spud did you get to order the stuff I read you wanted to order from them or anyone else was successful recently, if so pls instruct how. I would like to order some extra parts to keep on hand, I refuse to be without service again,
Thanks guys

SpudRider
10-16-2012, 09:11 PM
What number did you dial? If you dialed the correct phone number, Zongshen America is probably having temporary phone problems. ;) Ask them about the parts you wish to buy; they will know if they carry those items. ;) Search this forum for a thread posted by Pliskin; it will tell you how to order from Taobao. :)

Pliskin
10-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Pabesco, I would follow Spud's advice and try ZongshenAmerica first. But if you want to try taobao, you can read this link. http://www.chinariders.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13810&highlight=pliskin

Pabesco
10-17-2012, 07:51 PM
thanks alot to you guys, i was able to speak with someone from zongshen america today and was told the cdi will cost $54 including shipping to fort lauderdale, so i asked for the form to be sent to me via email so i could print it and send back via fax with creditcard payment today, im yet to get the form, ill call again tomorrow to see if i can get it sorted out
they said that they will ship the same day and i should recieve by the following day, thanks guys
also i was able to setup an order at taobao and the prices are much much better than anywhere else, even including agent costs and in ternational shipping
i will post exactly what i was interested in ordering along with the pricing, maybe others might want to order a few things too

Pliskin
10-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Yes the prices are much better through taobao. Please keep us updated of how it goes for you.

Pabesco
10-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Will do. Thanks

Pabesco
10-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Cdi unit ordered and will ship today, had a slight glitch with the number on the form and was sorted out very quickly, total cost $60. According to what I've been reading that's a pretty good price, I will be ordering the extra supplies from Tobago later today and will update on the progress. I ordered a good amount of stuff as follows
2 Cdi units
2 foam air filters
Front brakes
Firing coil
Stator (piece inside left crankcase cover)
Rear brake light assembly
Rear wheel hub
Throttle cable
Clutch cable
Complete set of frame plastics including a seat
The total including domestic shipping is us$113.00
After ordering I will find out what the international shipping to the USA would be
I will keep all posted

Pabesco
10-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Sorry , correction, I will be ordering from TAOBAO china, not Tobago.

Wool-Z
10-19-2012, 02:41 PM
So you ordered all that from Zongshen & thats the total shipped. And you guys say tabao is cheaper!? Looks like I need to look into this & get some stuff.

Pabesco
10-19-2012, 04:28 PM
I ordered 1 Cdi unit from zongshen America for a total of $60 including shipping
All the other items were ordered from taobao at the cost of $113 including domestic shipping. International shipping will be calculated then paid and is estimated to be around $50 so the total should be around $163 including all items costs, suppliers fees, domestic shipping and international shipping to the USA.
It took me a while to figure out how to order from them even after i read the posts supplied but I know how to do it now, so if you decide to order from them and need help just let me know. Also spud verified in a previous post from another member that what he saw from the pics supplied he's sure they are the genuine zongshen parts. I ordered from the same site so it should be the same for the parts I ordered.

Pliskin
10-24-2012, 04:16 AM
You've ordered few parts, excellent. :). Now you'll just have to wait. As you probably know i got mine in 12 days. It's usually the international shipping not the parts which is the most expensive part of the process. It's still cheap. :wink: When I ordered parts from taobao, total gross weight was 2.94KGS, the shipping fee by EMS was USD48.01.

Did you get your parts from this (ccqtvkocheng) taobao seller?

Pabesco
10-24-2012, 02:26 PM
I was calculating that and shipping will be expensive for my order seeing I ordered a rear wheel hub that weighs 4kgs by itself. Didn't know that at the time. Lol. I will check the other shippers prices and see where to go from there. Thanks a lot. Also I don't mind the wait time seeing I already ordered a Cdi unit from zongshen America that I picked up and installed a short while ago so my bike is back on the road.
Thanks for the help.

Pabesco
10-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Hey spud as I read a post you had about ordering from tbtrends you used DHL as the international shipper. Did you have a choice and decided to go with them and are they cheaper that the EMS shippers and others. Thanks for all the help from all you guys. The problem was definitely the Cdi. I installed the new one a short while ago and my bike runs again. Thank God.

SpudRider
10-24-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm not surprised the CDI unit failed. :roll: I'm glad you are riding once again. :)

I was going to use the standard shipping method from TBTrends, but the agent asked if he could ship via DHL Express. He said the shipping price was the same, and the service would be better. I happily agreed to the DHL Express shipping, and my items arrived in excellent condition. :)

Pabesco
10-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Ok sounds good. I will ask the agent what my options are.
My biggest thing is how expensive everything g will be after shipping to the Bahamas. The items will be shipped to Florida and I'm looking for it to cost around $80 to $100. Then I will have to have the items shipped to Nassau Bahamas and our government charges 75% duty on parts and shipping charges. So at the end I'm looking at the following
Item costs and agent fees $113
International shipping $100
Customs duty $100+$113*75%= $160
Final shipping costs $50
Overall total $423.00
So it is expensive for me but still cheaper than if I ordered from zongshen America. The one Cdi unit I ordered from there cost $60 including shipping to Fort Lauderdale then shipped to Bahamas cost $21 and customs duty was $45 total cost $126.00

SpudRider
10-24-2012, 07:53 PM
...The one Cdi unit I ordered from there cost $60 including shipping to Fort Lauderdale then shipped to Bahamas cost $21 and customs duty was $45 total cost $126.00
Egads!!! 8O You have my sympathies. :(

Spud :?

Pabesco
10-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Some things here are too expensive and sometimes it makes you feel like its a conspiracy. Lol. When I imported the bike the duty was 85% of all costs before importation, same for importing cars and trucks, luxury vehicles are 100% ,

Pabesco
10-31-2012, 01:23 AM
Thanks once again to all you knowledgeable guys out there. Without ur help I would probably not be riding again so quickly, y
This forum is the best. With the best set of persons to advise us rookies,,,thanks again

Weldangrind
10-31-2012, 09:59 AM
We're all happy to help, Pabesco. Your enthusiasm and willingness to wrench on your bike is the key. Thanks for joining us.

SpudRider
10-31-2012, 01:49 PM
We're all happy to help, Pabesco. Your enthusiasm and willingness to wrench on your bike is the key. Thanks for joining us.
X2. :)