PDA

View Full Version : front brake & start issues - Zong Sierra 200

cloudrider
10-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Hello fellow riders. I have a couple of issues with my Zong Sierra. First, it died as I was riding it the other day. I stripped the whole thing and cant find where the issue may be. I believe the CDI may be the culprit for what I've read other Sierra owners have had similar issues.

Also, the front brake has gotten very hard all of the sudden. It requires a hard grip to move the brake handle. Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks in advance!
cr~

SpudRider
11-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Hello fellow riders. I have a couple of issues with my Zong Sierra. First, it died as I was riding it the other day. I stripped the whole thing and cant find where the issue may be. I believe the CDI may be the culprit for what I've read other Sierra owners have had similar issues.

Also, the front brake has gotten very hard all of the sudden. It requires a hard grip to move the brake handle. Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks in advance!
cr~
I suspect the CDI unit has failed. If you have a spare CDI unit, install the spare and see if the problem disappears. If you don't have a spare CDI unit, get one as soon as possible. If nothing else, a spare CDI unit greatly facilitates troubleshooting electrical problems such as the one you are now experiencing. ;)

Check the recent thread posted in this forum regarding the Zong's front brakes. ;) Check to see if you need to trim/shave your front brake pads. Also, you might need to change your brake fluid; you can find a tutorial on this subject in the Zong Sticky, located at the top of this forum. :)

Spud :)

cloudrider
11-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Thank you Spud. I will try these suggestions and will post my results here.
Adios!
cr~

cloudrider
11-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Hello Spud,
I got my new CDI; replaced it and it worked :D. Thanks for the advice. Now I need to fix the front brake issue. I looked for the post regarding shaving the front pads but couldn't find it. Also, the video links on the tutorial for bleeding the brakes are not working. I search youtube and found a few videos but none show how to do it manually.
I want to try doing the bleeding first since I have never changed the brake fluid on the bike before.
Thanks!
c~

Weldangrind
11-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Here's a terrific place to start: http://chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6514

SpudRider
11-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Here's a terrific place to start: http://chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6514
Thank you for providing that link to a thread in the Zong Sticky, Weld. :) Here's another thread in the Zong Sticky which contains links to three videos describing how to change your brake fluid, CR. :)

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9814

The Zong Sticky is your friend, CR. ;) Also, you might enjoy reading several recent posts regarding the Zong's front brakes which are currently located on the first page of the dual sport forum. :)

Spud :)