PDA

View Full Version : American Lifan GY200 reliability

ridgerunner
12-20-2012, 11:07 PM
I've been thinking about this bike for a few years now. I commute 36 miles round trip to work. I was just wondering for you GY200 owners out there if you think the Lifan is reliable enough to put up with this type of riding. I do keep up with routine maintenance on my scooter so oil changes and tune ups aren't a problem for me.

Weldangrind
12-21-2012, 12:03 AM
Like any China bike, it'll perfrom well with some careful prep. I wouldn't hesitate, if the price was right.

Wild_Alaskan
12-21-2012, 01:28 AM
if you just ride it to work you will be fine. Take it anywhere you use suspension action and you need to run the chain super loose because the pivot point for the swing arm is way to high. Everything also wears out very quickly offroad.

ridgerunner
12-21-2012, 04:06 AM
It would definitely be a road bike. All the off road places around here are farmland; there is one place that is a members only place, but I don't plan on paying to play in dirt. It would be nice to have something bigger than the scooter so I could go a little faster than 35 mph in a head wind.

FastDoc
12-21-2012, 11:35 AM
It will be fine. It is also fine for light off road/ dualsport work as well. Dirt roads, fire roads, trails, etc it is fine :D . Jumping, deep sand, whoops, etc. not so much. :wink:

The main concern will be top cruising speed. There are NOT highway bikes! 8O

Figure any road with a speed limit 55 and slower you're golden.

Hills and headwinds need to be accounted for as well. :wink:

wilserchinarider
12-23-2012, 08:36 AM
I would add to get a newer gy-5 type rather than the older gy-2. I have been more than pleased w/ the reliability of my 08 Lifan gy-5. I have around 6k miles on it and am on my second engine. Speedo and engine failure I believe were the result of drowning the bike in a cold wet waterhole. I believe the speedo broke from being wet and frozen the following day, and the engine took water in the oil, and perhaps the cylinder and eventually the rod broke threw the case. Most repairs have been from my own abuse off road on trails, broken clutch lever, front fender, but it has ALWAYS started and brought me home! Knock on wood.

I do a mix of trailriding and local roads, grocery getting and touring the jersey beach areas, very little highway use. Great bike below 50 mph, above sixty feels like a 200cc mosquito at a million rpm's.

Three years ago I was hesitant to purchase a chinabike fearing wasted money, time and frustration, but I have experienced the exact oppisite, the darn thin has been a joy and as reliable as just about any car, bike, lawnmower as I have owned...overall I am very pleased w/ the bike!!!

SpudRider
12-23-2012, 04:43 PM
I agree with the others. ;) A Lifan 200GY will serve you well for your 36-mile, daily commute. Indeed, it will perform even better than your scooter. :)

Spud :)

culcune
12-25-2012, 02:56 PM
I would second, or third the GY-5. They came stock with a 46 tooth rear sprocket which more than helped with higher speed cruising (higher speed being 55 to 60 mph). The other GY200s came with 56 teeth rear, which keep these bikes useless for open road commuting.