PDA

View Full Version : cylinder head base gasket leak

miami
01-05-2013, 04:13 PM
i got a leak on the cylinder head base gasket what do i need to do or where can i get the parts to fix it pleaseeeeeeeee help

Wild_Alaskan
01-05-2013, 05:20 PM
the head gasket which is between the cylinder and head, or the base gasket which is between the cylinder and cases?

SpudRider
01-05-2013, 06:59 PM
the head gasket which is between the cylinder and head, or the base gasket which is between the cylinder and cases?
Yes, which gasket is leaking? Also, how much is it leaking, and when did it start leaking?

Spud :)

miami
01-05-2013, 08:04 PM
on this link the 3rd picture and like 5 days ago its getting worse
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7415

SpudRider
01-05-2013, 08:15 PM
So the oil leak is coming from the base gasket, as shown below?

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/spudrider/Zong%20Oil%20Change/BaseGasket.jpg

If so, this leak is not uncommon with the TW200 motorcycles which share the same engine as your Zong. ;) An oil leak here is not too serious. You won't have problems running low on oil, but the leak can make a mess.

The best way to fix this leak is to install a new cylinder base gasket. However, I would wait to do this until I was ready to do a ring job on the piston. In the meanwhile, you can tighten the two, allen head bolts at the base of the cylinder. You can also check the torque on the 4 cylinder bolts. Also, some TW200 owners apply a bead of high temperature silicone to the gasket area. You can read more on this subject by searching the TW200 forum. ;)

Wild_Alaskan
01-06-2013, 08:10 PM
To fix this without having to tear down the entire engine you you will need to get a can of aresol break cleaner or carb cleaner and spray down the leaking are very well untill there is zero oily residue left in the leaky area. wait 30mins to dry. Then get some high temp silicone gasket maker and firmly press it in to the leaky area and along the seam between the cylinder and cases with your finger.

Make sure the case vent hose is unobstructed also as a blocked vent hose will promote oil leaks by causing unnecessary case pressure.

SpudRider
01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
That's a good tip, WA! :) I recommend Permatex Ultra Black RTV Silicone. ;)

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/images/ultrablack.jpg

miami
01-07-2013, 12:11 AM
where is the case vent hosealso and the vent hose i dont kbow iam just goona put it where the leak ists comming from i tied the allen key nut but nothing its still leaking ama try jb weld you think that works

Wild_Alaskan
01-07-2013, 12:49 AM
do not use jb weld or it will be extremely difficult to repair in the future, and will glue your cylinder to the cases. If you do it as recommended it will work better and will not cause you future problems.

the case vent is usually a big black hose that comes out of the top of the cases towards the back of the engine.

miami
01-07-2013, 01:06 AM
k i will try that one by the i saw u put a 250 motor on your bike was it hard and what motor was it

Wild_Alaskan
01-07-2013, 01:37 AM
It was a 400cc motor out of a 400ex quad. basically in order to do it you have to rebuild the frame around the motor. I wouldn't recommend it as a casual project :wink:

miami
01-10-2013, 02:20 AM
well guy that silicone black silicone really workd thanks alot man how long you think that would last tho

SpudRider
01-10-2013, 02:31 AM
I'm glad WA offered the good advice, and I'm glad the Permatex Ultra Black RTV worked well for you. :) You fix should last a long time. However, if the leak comes back, I suggest you repeat the procedure. ;)