PDA

View Full Version : M.O.T. Results are in.

KDocherty
01-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Ok, I got my bike mot'ed this morning and it failed, not too much was wrong but i hope you can help.

My Bike is a BTS 125GY I have other threads on here about it if you need pics.

Fault: Headlamp aim too high
Fix: There is a bolt below the light, this might be to adjust?

Fault: Reg Plate too small
Fix: £15 From garage

This is the main fail.

Fault: Rear Mono-Shock Pivot excessively worn
Fix: A China parts site knows the part its about £30 But a 2/3 week wait maybe longer, i dont want to wait this long. All i need is an mot I am insured "leathered" up ready to go.

Fault: Drive chain excessively tight
Fix: the Fault above is to blame i was told

Fault: Wheel alignment incorrect which adversely affects the steering.
Fix: Im not sure.

FastDoc
01-15-2013, 12:50 PM
MOT's are interesting to me. When I lived in New Jersey there was a simple inspection done, nothing serious. Mostly a way for the state to get more money out of it's citizens. :x

When I lived in Connecticut, rural California, and Washington there is not any form of inspection, which I greatly appreciate. :D

MOT's are very thorough, and seem intrusive to me but that's another story. :?

The rear wheel alignment is due to the axle not being even in it's adjusters. You can use the sight or the string technique (see www.dansmc.com) if the marks are not accurate.

The bushings are likely semi-universal, and I bet Honda XR200 ones would work. If you can't wait for 'OEM's' remove the ones you have, measure them, and call or visit a bearing supply house or motorcycle dealership to get them matched for replacements.

The screw you refer to does adjust the headlight.

The chain should have about 1-1/2" slack. This design does not have good countershaft/pivot/sprocket alignment and needs generous chain slack to avoid binding.

Weldangrind
01-16-2013, 12:33 AM
The good Doctor has given you wise counsel. I'll piggyback on his comment about the bushings; they're a real bugger to pound out, but Honda replacements will likely out-live the bike. They're usually not terribly expensive, and easy to order at any Honda dealer. All that said, your bike might not match any Honda bushings, so then look to Yamaha.

KDocherty
01-17-2013, 05:43 AM
ok Thanks guys i will look into it and get back you.

KDocherty
01-17-2013, 08:57 AM
How about this, seems like the bit plus more that i need

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-Balls-Swing-Arm-Bearing-Kit-Honda-XR-200R-1988-2002-/170631679538?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27ba70ce32

FastDoc
01-17-2013, 12:42 PM
As you Brits would say that's quite the kit 8) but may be more than you will ever need and I am not positive it will all fit your bike. I just can't be sure. All Balls is a top notch company though, FWIW.