PDA

View Full Version : Zong lzx200gy-2 PROBLEMS STARTING

Smokie25
01-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Hi I just joined the forum after reading tons of posts. I have issues with my Zong. First off I bought the bike not working. I have installed many new parts including ignition coil, magneto, and others. I hooked a battery to the bike with the ignition main switch and the kill/start switch unplugged. The bike started running the starter once it was connected. I have tested resistance everywhere and everything looks fine. I don't understand why it would try to start with these things unplugged. I also am not getting spark at the plug. Any help would be appreciated

FastDoc
01-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Start here:

http://www.dansmc.com/troubleshooting2.htm

Wild_Alaskan
01-15-2013, 01:20 PM
it turns the starting motor without you pressing anything? there is either a short on the start switch or the relay is jammed, some times they will un-jam when tapped on but it is probably a good idea to replace it.

Smokie25
01-15-2013, 01:33 PM
does the battery terminal connect to the right or left side of relay, my problem is the bike was half taken apart and i have no idea where things go because i have a yamaha start/kill switch and a honda rebel ignition.

Smokie25
01-15-2013, 01:34 PM
any pics of the correct wiring for the starting system would help. I have a wiring diagram but pics would be better.

Wild_Alaskan
01-15-2013, 01:42 PM
the wire from the starter should be on one side and the wire to the positive terminal of the battery should be on the other, doesn't matter which posts they are on as long as they are not on the same one and not touching. the relay basically just bridges the connection between the two wires and allows current to flow to the starter

Weldangrind
01-16-2013, 12:49 AM
Welcome!

Unplugging the kill switch and the ignition switch removes the ground from the CDI, so that's why it will turn over. When you switch off the bike, you're actually switching the ground on.

I'm with Wild Alaskan on the starter switch being stuck, but the solenoid could also be stuck. A continuity tester will reveal the condition of the solenoid.

What type of Zong do you have?

SpudRider
01-16-2013, 01:02 AM
He has the same Zong as mine, Weld. :)

Spud :)

Smokie25
01-24-2013, 06:47 PM
so i finally got it started, but then it ran for about an hour when it just cut off. After massive inspection i finally took off the crankcase and found a mangled stator/coil. The wirs weren't laid correctly and got all chopped up. So I rewired the part and put it back in. It still doesn't start, but if I test the black and yellow wire leading to the spark plug it reads voltage at first and then slowly drops. If I plug the wire to the spark plug, there is no spark. I have disconnected the kill switch so I know its not on. I need to know what the resistance values are for the pickup coil and the stator or if there is any way to bench test either. My start disk is full on my comp. so I can't download the tw200 manual. ANy help would be appreciated I have wasted a couple of days on this bike with no progress. I am two steps away from ghost riding this thing off a cliff.

FastDoc
01-24-2013, 07:00 PM
The stator and pickup coil are available directly from Zong in Miami pretty cheap. Yamaha TW200 or XT225 parts may fit but I'm not sure. You will also need to order a gasket, and while it's apart you may want to do Spud's crankcase cover mod. :wink:

SpudRider
01-24-2013, 08:54 PM
If I were you, I would order the stator/pickup coil assembly from Zongshen America. These parts cost about $59, plus shipping. ;) Call 305-500-9989 and ask for the parts department. You can visit the website at the following link.

http://www.zongshenamerica.com/

Do not buy Yamaha parts. The Zongshen electrical system is slightly different from the Yamaha electrical system. ;)

Here are the resistance values for the various components in the electrical system from the Yamaha TW200 and XT225 Service Manuals.

Electrical System Resistance Values

Spark plug cap resistance:
Both Yamaha manuals specifiy 10K Ohms

Ignition coil resistance:
Primary Coil: Yamaha XT225 manual specifies 0.56 to 0.84 Ohms
Secondary Coil: Yamaha XT225 manual specifies 5.68K to 8.52K Ohms

Pickup/Pulse Coil Resistance:
Both Yamaha manuals specify 656 to 984 Ohms

Exciter/Charge Coil Resistance:
Yamaha XT225 Manual specifies 584 to 876 Ohms

Measure all resistance values with a digital multimeter when the engine is cold. You will not get correct resistance values if the engine is warm. ;)

Smokie25
01-25-2013, 01:10 AM
well don't have to worry about the engine being warm. I am reading around 830 on both the stator and pickup is that right.

SpudRider
01-27-2013, 04:27 AM
Yes, the pickup coil and stator resistance values are within specifications. ;) Did you test a new stator and pickup coil, or did you test the parts you repaired?

I'm curious how the stator became damaged in the first place. If the stator is securely attached to the crankcase cover, it should never contact the flywheel. :roll: Were the wires pinched between the crankcase cover and the crankcase itself? What part of the wiring did you repair?

Smokie25
02-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Ok I still am getting no spark. I get voltage out of the blk/yellow wire that goes to the ignition coil but I have three different coil/sprk wires and none of them are working for me. I also have a few different spark plugs and have tried every scenario. I need help i have had this bike for three weeks and haven't been able to ride it.

Smokie25
02-02-2013, 04:24 PM
oh and spud the wires got pinched in the stator housing but I repaired them and it tests fine

SpudRider
02-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Did you cover the stator wires with heat-resistant insulation? The stator is bathed in hot engine oil, which will eventually destroy any insulation; you want to delay the damage as long as possible. ;) Also, did you test the resistance values for the rest of the electrical system? If so, what values did you get?

Weldangrind
02-03-2013, 01:19 AM
That's an excellent tip, Spud. What would you recommend for heat resistant insulation?

SpudRider
02-03-2013, 01:34 AM
That's an excellent tip, Spud. What would you recommend for heat resistant insulation?
The stock wiring is covered with high temperature varnish. Perhaps a sophisticated "plastic" dip will also work. As long as the wires aren't going to short, insulation is not required. If the repair was done at a location outside the oil "bath," electrical tape will work just fine. Do you have any suggestions, Weld? :?:

Weldangrind
02-03-2013, 01:36 AM
Now that you say it, I think that Plasti-dip would be a good idea, but self-vulcanizing rubber tape is a very good solution.

Garrett
05-25-2017, 01:29 AM
Hi
I have a 2006 zongshen lzx200gy-2 and I got it with no wiring or cdi box I purchased a lifan 150cc cdi and made a wiring harness but I am still not getting no spark any suggestions?

banfield
03-09-2021, 01:56 AM
hi guys i have a brand new bike lzx200gy-2 but it wont run when i check spark it sparks one time when i hit starter then nothing but if i flick the kill on and off fast it try's to start any ideas what wrong with it

Midnyte Ryder
03-09-2021, 01:58 AM
hi guys i have a brand new bike lzx200gy-2 but it wont run when i check spark it sparks one time when i hit starter then nothing but if i flick the kill on and off fast it try's to start any ideas what wrong with itThe CDI is probably bad. Theyre 5 bucks, try a new one.

ccubanito
01-29-2022, 06:41 PM
Hey were can I get a CDI for this bike from? I'm in the look for a whole wiring harness as well

ChillRider
02-04-2022, 03:25 AM
Last year I had ordered a spare AC CDI from AliExpress directly from China, the only place they seemed to stock them. It got delivered, but not fast but any means: it took 3 months to arrive. Good thing I didn't need it right away...

Here's the seller (heh, GoBoom group...):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1447361387.html

When ordering, specify the AC CDI unit, not the DC CDI, UNLESS you are certain that your bike uses the latter. Normally the ZS200GY-2 is wired for AC, in which case using a DC CDI requires modifying the wiring, while the AC will work straight away.

Better yet, check whether your existing CDI is AC or DC (AC is CDI-Z067-001, DC is CDI-Z067-002). It might have been already swapped in your bike.