PDA

View Full Version : Tell good things about your Chinese Dual Sport

keithert
01-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Like most internet forums many of the posts here deal with trouble with the item in question. I'd like to hear good things about your Chinese Dual Sport bikes. Who has had a mostly reliable experience and taken long rides on them?

I have an older Chinese made ATV for my son. For the last 2 years it has run flawlessly. He has had it on trails that went for up to 10 miles and went through mud and woods. It's gone everywhere my Honda has gone. It has required bolts to be periodically adjusted and it's carb could use a good cleaning, but it always starts and runs good after being warmed up a bit.

katoranger
01-17-2013, 10:15 AM
I rode over 10K miles on my lifan and it was only trailered home once.

FastDoc
01-17-2013, 11:37 AM
I had 3 Chinese D/S's. I enjoyed them all, especially the Q's. Good solid machines, and very good looking. Great mileage, smooth ride, and would get me to the top of mosdt any hill given the time and a trail. Easy to repair and maintain. PLUS it was a ticket of admission to meet you guys! :P

If a person is looking for one bike to act as a trailbike and a non-freeway commuter, they would do great to get a Chinese D/S. Especially if they want to save money and/or enjoy tinkering. :D

FastDoc
01-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Great thread idea, BTW. 8)

keithert
01-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Doc, what models have you have and are they still being sold by any vendors?

FastDoc
01-17-2013, 12:12 PM
I had an HSUN (Lifan-oid) GY2. I had a Q-Link XF200 then an XP200. My buddy Ron also has a GY2. IIRC Scooter Wholesale (or something like that) has the GY@'s (GY5's now I think). They are OK to deal with.

Q LInks are available on their website, but at prices about twice what I paid.

Q's are of near Japanese level quality. GY5's not quite but still good trailbike/commuters.

wilserchinarider
01-17-2013, 06:01 PM
I have a lifan gy-5 (licensed)and a hi-bird gy-2 that my son occasionally rides on trails...both bike bought used for $1300 w/ low miles. they always have started and havee never left us stranded through hundreds of miles of lonely trails...overall an excellent purchase and a good experience!

I also have a low mileage Zong that runs flawlessly, but the street tires have relegated it to garage queen duty (unlicensed)...I should probably give it to Spud and buy it back in 6 months after he Spud's it...haha.

FastDoc
01-17-2013, 06:25 PM
That would be a great plan!

Weldangrind
01-18-2013, 12:50 AM
We have two China atv's that took considerable prep, but they've been flawless since. They have been a terrific way to get my wife and daughter out to enjoy the sport.

culcune
01-18-2013, 10:58 PM
My bike gets me to work round trip daily in spite of all the rattles, needing a new ignition, light bulbs failing, and m y rear brake literally disappearing on the way to work, as well, as its horrible stock gearing. Besides the Zongshen engine being reliable, the TMEC body plastics are holding up well. I know I just jinked my bike :wink: :lol: :(

fishman10
01-18-2013, 11:14 PM
i loved my zong with the street tires,,,and miss it,, are you in PA wilser? might be interested

SpudRider
01-19-2013, 02:15 AM
I have ridden over 53,000 miles on my Zongshen 200GY-2. It's a great little motorcycle. :) I frequently ride my Zong on multi-day trips covering hundreds of miles. I frequently ride my Zong over one hundred miles a day. Here's a link to the Zong Sticky, where I list many threads covering ride reports, maintenance, and modifications of my Zongshen 200GY-2 motorcycle. :)

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8673

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq146/spudrider/2012%20Rides/July/oxpeaksingleride038.jpg

Spud :)

FastDoc
01-19-2013, 08:45 PM
My bike gets me to work round trip daily in spite of all the rattles, needing a new ignition, light bulbs failing, and m y rear brake literally disappearing on the way to work, as well, as its horrible stock gearing. Besides the Zongshen engine being reliable, the TMEC body plastics are holding up well. I know I just jinked my bike :wink: :lol: :(

Isn't your bike brand new?

FastDoc
01-19-2013, 08:46 PM
I have some cherished seat time on Spud's Zong and I can attest to it's awesomeness! :D

onecooldon
01-20-2013, 09:24 AM
I been riding a Lifan 200gy-5 since bougth new in2008 other than the igntion short from getting rained on I've had no trouble with it. I just wish A.L would up date the website, I think the last was june of 2011, but anyhow I love me bike it too just keeps on going like the "PINK BUNNY"

culcune
01-20-2013, 12:40 PM
I believe American Lifan is gone.

culcune
01-20-2013, 12:49 PM

Isn't your bike brand new?

I bought it used, and I think it had been around the block. If the 2013 TMECs are different enough from the '09s, I might upgrade to one, since I could probably get dealer pricing on it (keeping the existing one, too).

I do believe the parts of my commute where I run a few miles of full throtle to work and back is contributing to the issues. I finally got my chain to go with my 40 tooth custom rear sprocket, so that should alleviate some of the wear and tear going 10/10ths.

wilserchinarider
01-20-2013, 05:22 PM
are you in PA wilser? might be interested

Sorry not in PA, I'm Jersey Shore, Monmouth County...not at all like the show though...haha. I'm open to offers???

FastDoc
01-20-2013, 10:55 PM
I lives on the shore for years. Point Pleasant and Bradley Beach.

I turned on the Jersey Shore show once a couple of years ago. (I have not had TV in almost a year now). I thought the show would remind me of my growing up! What a joke! A terrible joke! :cry:

fishman10
01-21-2013, 01:24 AM
ok wlser ,,let me see what happens when i get my income tax check!

Pliskin
01-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Great post. I've also taken long rides. You can practically ride them all day, it's more rider dependent. I've done 300km (186 miles) in one day.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2271/img5123o.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/img5123o.jpg/)
This is the picture from my last camping trip. So far I've done 24,000 km (15,000 miles) trouble free miles. Excellent bike. :D

SpudRider
01-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Indeed, the Zong is an excellent bike. :) How did you construct the lower fork protectors for your Zong, Pliskin?

Spud :)

Pliskin
01-23-2013, 02:49 AM
How did you construct the lower fork protectors for your Zong, Pliskin?
I never liked the original ones, so I removed them, but then decided to put something back. I had this roll of fence skirting made out of plastic laying around.
So I thought maybe i could make it out of that. It was only ment as a temporary job, but it's working fine. :)

FastDoc
01-23-2013, 11:23 AM
I run Seal Savers on my YZ and recommend them highly.

Pliskin
01-23-2013, 06:30 PM
I run Seal Savers on my YZ and recommend them highly.Didn't know about them they look great and practical. I found on ebay a set where you don't need to remove forks to install them.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORK-SEAL-SAVERS-Aust-made-brand-new-/230867698475

FastDoc
01-23-2013, 06:50 PM
The 'solid' ones where you have to remove the forks are somewhat more protective and that is what I am using but they are a little of a PIA to install. The velcro style ones should be fine too. :D