PDA

View Full Version : How did you decide to buy a China bike?

keithert
01-21-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm debating between a 10 year old Japanese enduro like a Yamaha TW200 or XT225 vs a new Chinese one. I could use some help in deciding. The things I fear about the Chinese bike are 1. Can I title and register it in Illinois. 2. Will it be a piece of junk? How did you decide to buy a Chinese enduro?

culcune
01-21-2013, 11:30 AM
The only Chinese bike I would get is the Qlink XF200 or XP200. I might even consider the Pitster Pro XTR250, but they may or may not be Ill legal.

FastDoc
01-21-2013, 01:26 PM
You can go either way with this and do well. :D

My last Chinese enduro was a Q-Link, which is co-assembled with the DR200SE using many common parts and engineering. It was a good bike and a great value. I bought two of them (and urged my friends to buy another two) because my buddy Andy was selling them out of his motorcycle shop.

The XT and TW are ridiculously good motorcycles, and if you have a good price, and don't have access to a Q or a Zong (essentially a Yamaha XT) you would do well with a used Japanese bike, especially if the price of a new Chinese bike is over $2,000.

Weldangrind
01-21-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm a TW lover, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a China bike if the price was right, and if my local DMV allowed that specific model. If you're buying a used China bike and it's titled and tagged, you likely have nothing to worry about with registration.

keithert
01-21-2013, 11:28 PM
The lowest price I'm finding for the Qlink is $2500 and I can't find the Zongshen at all. At that price I'd definitely go for the Japanese bike. The TMEC200 seems like it will be available shortly. What bike is that patterned after and how has it's quality been?

culcune
01-22-2013, 07:12 AM
The TMEC uses a Zongshen engine which has performed flawlessly. The rest, not as much...I did buy it used and not sure how long it was left outside and abused/neglected. They were not available new when I got mine, and mine has served its commuting purpose. For $1200, I would consider a new one.

FastDoc
01-22-2013, 11:39 AM
You are getting good counsel. Part of the answer lies with you. How good are you at tinkering? Do you enjoy it? If so the Chinabike is less of a gamble. If you need to pay someone to maintain/diagnose/fix your bike you may lose a lot of money with a CB.

Of course a Japanese bike can break too, but most of us would agree they are less trouble than a Chinese bike.

keithert
01-22-2013, 12:23 PM
I've done stuff stuff like working on carburetors and front end work on bikes before so I think I am capable of doing the work. Wrenching is not my favorite thing to do though. An occasional issue wouldn't bother me but regular issues would. Going into a motorcycle engine is beyond what I've done before but I did rebuild a lawnmower engine back in high school.

FastDoc
01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Almost all CB issues are multiple small things. The engine/transmission units tend to be robust. Expect things like electrical connection issues, loose nuts and bolts, poor inner tubes, swingarm pivot/bushing wearing prematurely, etc.

There is a 'sticky' somewhere here about CB dualsport bike prep that summarizes common problems, prevention, setup, and repair.

SpudRider
01-22-2013, 10:08 PM
In 2008, I bought my Zongshen 200GY-2 for $950, new, in-the-crate. At that price, the bike was an exceptional value. :) I have ridden my Zong over 53,000 miles, and I like it very much. However, since I bought my bike, the price of Chinese bikes has risen, and the availability has decreased. As the price approaches $2,000, I believe you are far better off to look for a good deal on a used, Japanese motorcycle. ;)

Spud :)

edtardo
01-23-2013, 06:19 PM
I didn't really decide to buy chinese. I found a bike on CL for $575 and I needed a ride to get back and forth to work. I have had some issues with the bike, but they were related to the abuse of the previous owner. I have been looking for a new in crate CB and would love a Zong. I'll keep the Newstar until it falls apart again lol