PDA

View Full Version : TMEC GY200 with custom 40 tooth rear sprocket

culcune
01-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Finally, after a week, my friend, with a little help from me, installed the 40 tooth sprocket and chain (it didn't take a week, it was coordinating around our work schedules). Initially, the best thing that could happen to a TMEC 200 based on a quick blast to the gas station and back. However, will have to wait on a report since it has been raining the last day and a half. Monday will be my regular commute, so that will be the true test.

SpudRider
01-27-2013, 04:23 AM
Congratulations. :) Please let us know how well the custom sprocket performs!

Spud :)

culcune
01-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Ok, minor/major snag. 3 of the bolts had broken off the sprocket on install. The 3 remaining bolts started loosening up on my test ride. However, it completely changed the character of the bike while it worked...for the better. Tightened up the 2 working bolts, andgot it home. Bought replacement bolts, hex head type. Put permanent thread lock on the 3 and tightened themdown, hopefully permanently. A friend and I tried to extract the broken ones to no avail. Either find someone or someplace to extract the 3, or buy a new wheel :x

However, like I wrote above, before the issue, it worked extremely well. The speedometer is broken, but it had no problem keeping up with 50 to 55 mph traffic. It did remind me of my '93 Mustang GT in that 5th gear is overdrive (my car came stock with 2.73).

SpudRider
01-27-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm sorry to hear of the broken bolts, but I'm glad you could ride home to repair them. :) I wish you good luck getting the broken bolts extracted. I fear you will have difficulty finding a replacement wheel. :(

culcune
01-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Excalibur has a couple parts bikes, so if they haven't sold wheels, they should have one.

Weldangrind
01-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Search the local tool shops for left-hand drill bits (no, I'm not kidding). Lay the wheel on a flat surface, start a center punch mark in the center of the broken bolt, and slowly begin to drill it out with the drill in reverse, with a bit that is smaller than the bolt diameter. Take care to not break the bit. Have some type of lubricant handy to apply to the bit every few seconds; I use Rapid Tap, but even WD-40 will meet your needs.

The bolts might just begin to back out during the drilling process. If not, use a quality extractor (Easy-out is one brand) and remove the bolts that did not back out upon drilling. Please take pics.

culcune
01-29-2013, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the tip, Weld, but I don't have the patience, skill, or equipment (my drill is not working, I just pulled it out and it was no go :cry: I ended up ordering a new wheel after going for a run yesterday and having the hub break off the wheel and the chain breaking and wrapping around the hub :? 8O

I am at the point of reusing the stock sprocket and chain on the new wheel and just sellingthe bike. :x

FastDoc
01-29-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm glad you got home safe.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I know you were in the market for a CB for a long time I'm sorry that it turned out this way. :cry:

SpudRider
01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm glad you got home safe.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I know you were in the market for a CB for a long time I'm sorry that it turned out this way. :cry:
X2 on all points, Culcune. ;)

culcune
01-29-2013, 04:33 PM
It wasn't the bike's fault, other than the crap stock sprocket :evil:

culcune
03-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Ok, after (relatively) enjoying the 40 tooth rear sprocket, I think I need a new front. The stock one is 17 tooth, so I think a 15 tooth would make 5th gear usable. The TMEC 200 uses the Zongshen 167 FML engine. I am sure we discussed sprockets 6 or 7 years ago, but I don't have the time or patience to search for the thread if someone knows what aftermarket sprockets fit the Zongshen/Lifan engines. I might even remember that they all interchange?

zingshoen
03-02-2013, 03:31 AM
could you drill through the hub and then choose new bolts? if your drill was working?

gentlemen, is that a possibility? i had a garelli moped where i did that, to go from a 43 to a 22. it depends on the hub, of course.

Weldangrind
03-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Pretty sure this is it, but you'll have to measure your CS sprocket and confirm: http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/5065 I'd drop only one tooth and then evaluate; CS sprockets are cheap.

culcune
03-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the link, Weld. It looks to be the same size (dimension-wise) as some I found on a site called www.buyatvsonline.com when I went to the Chinese bike part sections. I bet the JT would be worth a look. I agree that 16 teeth might be a good start since they are relatively low cost and easy to install. If it still seems like too much overdrive in 5th, then a 15t would probably do the trick.

Weldangrind
03-03-2013, 11:55 AM
JT makes a decent CS sprocket, and I don't think I've ever paid more than $15 for one.

culcune
03-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Just found the 16tooth one on Amazon for just under $10 shipped. Thanks, Weld!

Weldangrind
03-03-2013, 10:27 PM
You're welcome. I hope that works for you.

katoranger
03-04-2013, 08:23 AM
What a buy. I never thought to look on amazon for parts until I found the cruise control stalk for my corolla on there.

Jon
03-05-2013, 07:26 AM
when you change sprockets is a new chain needed as well?

culcune
03-05-2013, 07:01 PM
I have heard yes and no. I am not planning on a new chain for the front, but I would recommend one for a new rear sprocket.

dom
09-25-2013, 07:04 PM
anyone know where i can get a new rear wheel for a tmec 200? just really need the hub, could also use rear brake assy.

culcune
09-26-2013, 02:31 AM
Responded on mychinamoto.com regarding buying a wheel or using my old hub

culcune
09-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Ok, decide if your current broken hub wheel is 18" (making your front wheel 21"). You should be able to find a replacement wheel like the thread from "lefty" regarding finding a new wheel for his Roketa, and he found one from a United Motors. The rear wheels for Chinese enduros, provided they use the common 21" front wheel/18" rear are pretty interchangeable. Look on CL or other ad sources for people selling older Chinese enduros or pure dirt bikes using the 21"/18" setup.

The other setup the TMECs came with were 17" front and 17" rear wheels. One would get street tires, but either some came with 17" front/rear knobbies, or they came with street tires, and one could order knobbies that fit. If that is the case for your bike, my hub from my wheel with the broken spokes should work for you since it is the 17" wheel. However, I have some broken rear sprocket bolts stuck in the hub, so you will have to remove them, or find someone to remove them. It would probably be cheaper and much quicker playing with my hub than waiting for one. What did Excalibur say about having a whole wheel in stock, vs ordering a hub for you? I paid $140 for my replacement rear wheel (it included a brake disc and stock56 tooth sprocket) including shipping.

However, check to see if you have the more common (for Chinese enduros and dirt bikes 21"/18" wheel setup) which would enable you to find one easier.

lefty guitar
09-29-2013, 09:35 PM
guys i use the untied motors sprocket same spacers fit perfect had to take 3 links out of my chain hour and a half ready to roll united motor brakes are bigger and i like that lefty guitar aka kman