PDA

View Full Version : Lifan LF200 GY-5 Headlight issue

wakebball11
02-18-2013, 04:30 PM
I have a 2006 Lifan LF200 GY-5 with some headlight issues. The light turns on and is very dim, but whenever I hit the brakes or use my turn signals the headlight turns on all the way. I bought a new voltage regulator and regrounded the battery but the problem has not been resolved. Any Suggestions??

Thanks

FastDoc
02-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Your headlight gets brighter with additional electrical load? That's peculiar.

wakebball11
02-18-2013, 04:32 PM
thats right haha, I'm very confused by it

FastDoc
02-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Cross-shorted wire or poor connection somewhere. You may want to start pulling apart the connectors and spraying with contact cleaner. Protect eyes and paint. Then very very light application dielectric grease and reconnect. While you are at it check the harnesses where they contact each other or the frame.

Is your battery OK? Stator?

wakebball11
02-18-2013, 07:10 PM
I regrounded the harness to the frame already and checked voltage readings from the stator and battery. I did find one connection that was sketchy coming off of the light bulb. I cut and spliced a new connection and it seems to have helped a bit with how dim it is but there is still a noticeable brightening when the brakes are applied. I salvaged the bike in october and it has needed some work here and there. (deep cleaning of the carb, new rear brake, new tires, turn signals, brand new battery) The wiring harness looks fairly beat up and stiff but see no visible damage to the cables.

would you suggest getting a new harness or stator?

FastDoc
02-18-2013, 07:46 PM
We'll wait for others to chime in but if your voltage goes up to about 13.8 volts on reving the motor its not the stator.

A weak or internally shorted battery can do some weird things.

Chinabike wire is constructed from copper plated lo-mein noodles and quite notorious for misdirected electrons... Even so we can make it work.

Weldangrind
02-18-2013, 10:52 PM
My guess is a ground issue. You've re-grounded the harness to the frame, but more ground wires never hurt. Perhaps you could solder a new ground wire to the existing headlight ground and route it out of the headlight housing and attach it to the frame (with a ring connector). If the headlight is currently grounded to the headlight bucket, it has greased bearings to contend with in an attempt to connect to the frame.

Wild_Alaskan
02-19-2013, 02:51 PM
does it do it on both high beam and low beam?

wakebball11
02-20-2013, 09:25 PM
I cut and spliced a new headlight ground and it seems to have helped a lot. I have not had time to mess with it much the past couple days but hopefully that did the trick.

Wild alaskan - Yes it did it both on high and low beam.

FastDoc
02-20-2013, 09:35 PM
These guys know things. Glad its fixed. :D

Weldangrind
02-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Glad to hear it. Have a safe ride.

SpudRider
03-01-2013, 02:26 AM
X3! I'm glad you fixed the problem. :)

Spud :)