PDA

View Full Version : redid bike and now bogs down

rickieh
03-03-2013, 10:35 PM
So I put a new mikuni carb on my bike, cleaned the air filter, and got a new NGK plug for it, it starts but bogs down and dies really fast...any fixes? im guessing carb adjustments but anything specific?

Weldangrind
03-03-2013, 10:58 PM
I can't remember which bike you have. Please tell us the engine size.

Wild_Alaskan
03-03-2013, 11:43 PM
turn idle screw in a bit?

zingshoen
03-04-2013, 06:56 AM
you need a starting point?

air leak?
idle mix?
components blocked or loose?
float misaligned, blocks fuel flow?

needle clip in wrong position?
wrong main jet size?

if you do a search you ll find useful info

rickieh
03-04-2013, 10:25 AM
sunl 200cc enduro, I dont think air leak, i left the idle screw,pilot mixture screw and c clip where they were. i assumed they were there for a reason (carb break in or something) the c clip was on the bottom notch. i would hope the float wouldnt be messed up,its a brand new mikuni.is the bogging a symptom of running rich or lean?

Weldangrind
03-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Generally rich. The clip being at the bottom of the slider only means that's where it was installed during assembly; nothing else. You need to tune it to your application, which is really easy.

I recommend that you make only one change at a time. Move the clip to the center position and try again. Any improvement?

rickieh
03-04-2013, 09:32 PM
so i took the carb apart saw i had a 100 main jet and adjusted the pilot mixture to 1 and a half turns out from fully tightened. i put the c clip in the middle and then played with the idle screw,tried starting after each thing with same result.also my carb is now leaking from the overflow when the gas is on. ideas?

Weldangrind
03-04-2013, 10:50 PM
First, you gotta find out why it's leaking. It has to be the float needle and seat, so mayber there's some junk trapped in there. Are you using a fuel filter?

zingshoen
03-04-2013, 11:12 PM
FWIW i would take the float bowl off and look whether the rubber gasket is a tight fit. it s made in china, after all. on a NEW chinese mikuni aka "30 mm" i had a seal that was meant for a slightly bigger carbie, creating a leak. cut a tiny piece to make it fit and hold down with with a tiny bit silicon glue - but of course your problem may be elsewhere. anyway: only coz it s new doesn t mean it s working or working well.

when that was fixed all the fuel mix adjustments got me somwhere.

Weldangrind
03-04-2013, 11:49 PM
I've installed several China 30mm Mikunis, and I've never had a bad one.

zingshoen
03-05-2013, 07:41 AM
good to hear, i suppose the inferior merch is sent to us in oz. they used to say that about japanese stereos and whitegoods, too. :roll:

rickieh
03-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Found the problem. I guess my throttle cable had kinked a little and I never noticed. I twisted the throttle kind of harder than usual and it snapped straight again and now I can use the entire throttle range. kind of sad I never noticed this.

Weldangrind
03-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Glad to hear that you found it. How does it run with the new Mikuni?