PDA

View Full Version : HiBird QH250GY loses spark frequently

stacyc72110
03-06-2013, 04:06 AM
My motorcycle has been leaving me to push it home from just a mile or so from home. It all started when I changed the exhaust gasket and pulled the coil wires to get a 1/2 inch of room to move it out the way. It didn't shread the the wires but anyway it died on me soon as I was test driving it to the store. I didn't even make it out of the parking lot where I live. I've since cut the terminals off and ran the naked wires through the holes on the coil, then put the terminals through on top and sliding the it over the wires, a quick fix and pretty decent but only temp for now. I have crimpers comming in the mail. I did this because I've used WD-40 several times to dry the wires and get good contact, I ws thinking it might of loosened the grip the terminals had on the wires. Worked perfect and lasted a few days, about a week or two. Then it left me stranded about a mile from home. This happen about 3 times the last time was the fartherest I was stranded. It was runninng fine.

It sat on the porch until I could get a look at it. I charged the battery so it wouldn't ruin, it's 20 degrees here at night. But I tried it after I charged the battery and corrected a wire that was loose. The loose wire was the starter switch and blinkers, etc.

But the last time it left me stranded I noticed the headlight was trying to come on as I cranked it over. I eventually flooded it.

I closed the gap in the spark plug some just to make sure it wasn't open too wide. I've never had this kind of problem from it.

It all started when I moved the coil in a tight spot. I've since replaced the coil with coil wire to high performance coil.

I'm really wondering if I should replace the cdi and regulator just to be safe and see if it does it again. Only other part after that is the stator.

Really wanting to get this fixed. Any help greatly appreciated.

I've removed the tank and inspected the coil feeder wires, I was thinking there might be bullett connectors that had come loose. The wires look fine. It seems to be more sensitive in cold weather and any type moisture. Like real high humidity and 50 degrees. Last time it was snowing and about 40 degrees.

Thanks,
Stacy

FastDoc
03-06-2013, 11:38 AM
The problem is your CDI. Common issue. Get two, maybe three. They are cheap, and hold up accordingly. :wink:

Spark plug gap it .028", IIRC

stacyc72110
03-09-2013, 12:05 AM
I ordered the cdi and the voltage regulator just to be safe. I was mostly guessing the kill switch, it's out in the open and it has been rained on. But my starter switch is on the same control, and it use to just try to start on it's own, just lock in the starter with the key out of the ignition. Thinking that might of been the solenoid.

I inspected the cdi for cracks and all it was dirty but seemed ok. Should be here tomorrow, so I'll get that changed out and reply in a few days.

Thanks Very Much,
Stacy

humanbeing
03-09-2013, 03:35 AM
Data by maker:
http://www.sanxin.com.cn/info5/index.asp?id=14
http://www.sanxin.com.cn/info5/index.asp?id=16
http://www.sanxin.com.cn/info5/index.asp?id=20

FastDoc
03-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Could be the kill switch, they break too but not usually intermittantly.