PDA

View Full Version : 67 mph on the TMEC

culcune
03-19-2013, 12:41 AM
I have been commuting the past several months not knowing how fast I am going. I installed a 40 tooth rear sprocket, and yet to install the 16 t front. Today, my nephew was getting married at the San Luis, AZ courthouse, so my wife and kids came down my way in her car. That way, I would finally get to see how fast the bike goes once the ceremony was over and we had to drive home.

There is a section of highway which is just like an interstate and is posted for 65 mph. I normally don't ride that part as it heads the opposite way for me on my normal commute. However, on the way home from the courthouse we took that route. My wife paced me at 65 mph maxed out in 4th/5th (keep in mind the 17 t front/40 t rear combo). Then we reached the point where we turned to take the 2-lane county road posted for 50 mph which is beginning of the road I take home from my job at the state prison.

Keep in mind that normally there is a decent amount of traffic on this 2 lane road. Many commuters going to and from Mexico to Yuma from the port of entry in San Luis. Going either to or from work, I mix in this
traffic daily. The way they ride my a%#, I normally think that my bike is topping out at 40 to 45 mph. My wife clocked me at 67 mph, unscientifically with her speedometer.

Once I get my chain sorted out for the 16 t front sprocket, I anticipate a usable 5th vs. An overdrive-like 5th gear. Probably still 65 to 70 mph top speed, but more usable.

SpudRider
03-19-2013, 01:37 AM
I'm glad you're making progress with your TMEC 200. :) If that road is posted for 50 mph, and they are tailgating you at 65 mph, those drivers are a dangerous crew! :(

Spud :?

FastDoc
03-19-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm glad you're making progress with your TMEC 200. :) If that road is posted for 50 mph, and they are tailgating you at 65 mph, those drivers are a dangerous crew! :(

That's the truth. :evil:

I wish our bikes had countermeasures like James Bond's Aston Martin DB-4. 8)

FastDoc
03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Today, my nephew was getting married.

Bummer. My condolences. :cry:

(Just kidding. YMMV :wink: )

Good speed on a 200 :D ! But my admonition remains to not ride a 200cc trailbike on a road with a posted limit greater than 50-55.

culcune
03-19-2013, 09:50 PM

That's the truth. :evil:

I wish our bikes had countermeasures like James Bond's Aston Martin DB-4. 8)
A Beretta 9mm will have to suffice for now. :twisted:

culcune
03-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Today, my nephew was getting married.

Bummer. My condolences. :cry:

(Just kidding. YMMV :wink: )

Good speed on a 200 :D ! But my admonition remains to not ride a 200cc trailbike on a road with a posted limit greater than 50-55.

The irony is that the road I travel is never posted for more than 50 mph, and it become 45 for about 10 miles of the 15 miles. How that translates into 65 to 70 mph, I guess is the fault of the Yuma County Sheriff's office who is rarely out there. The good thing of my run with a speedometer is that I did not go all out in both directions today. If they want to pass, pass.

Ranbo
03-25-2013, 11:15 AM
The gearing in your bike sounds just like mine. At 60 mph I'm at about 6500 rpm then throttle wide open to about 7000rpm 67mph. I have a 39 tooth rear sprocket from cleveland cyclewerks. My little bike could cruise all day between 57 and 60 mph. The way I track my speed with accuracy is with my iphone. I have the best app that is worth mentioning here. It's called Cabela's Hunt and it uses the gps in your phone and not cell phone towers. I just set my phone to settings so that the screen stays on the whole time. I have topeak handle bar mount, water proof phone holder that works great. The only modifications that I need to make is to put a 12v cigarette style charger to keep my phone charged.
I agree with Fastdoc on this matter when he says not to ride on the freeway. People overtake us way too fast. The reason why I got my dualsport was to get away form the crazy highways city life. I think I will start taking the long way home on my bike where cars are not going 80+ mph

Weldangrind
03-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Ranbo, as a point of trivia, I think your phone still relies on the towers to establish GPS location. IOW, if you're out of a service area, I think that your GPS app will no longer function.

Thanks for the tip on the Cabela's app. I wish they made one like that for RIM, but I've found one that meets my needs for now. As well, I have an old-school GPS that has a touch screen, but it also has some rather large buttons that make it easy to operate with gloves on. I bought a handlebar mount for it, but it's a fair weather device only, since it's not waterproof.

Culcune, thanks for the info on 17/40; I was wondering if the motor would be able to pull in fifth. Do you have a 200 or 230?

culcune
03-26-2013, 09:14 PM
It's a 200 Zongshen; 167 FML

MICRider
03-29-2013, 12:11 PM
As a side note on the GPS units, I think all the iPhones after the first gen have a true GPS and don't require cell signals for triangulation. Same goes for the Androids, any relatively recent Android smartphone also has a dedicated GPS chip and doesn't require a cell signal to tell you where you are. It was only the first generation iphones that needed to have cell service for the GPS to work.

Kinda handy, means if you have a spare fairly recent smartphone around but you've discontinued service to it you can still use it as a GPS. :D

jjn
04-24-2013, 02:14 PM
culcune, since I don't have a dealer less than 1800 miles away, can I ask you a little about your TMEC 200? Does it have a replaceable oil filter, or a reusable screen? What would be a reasonable cruising speed with the bike all stock? Gas mileage? Have you had any problems with yoiurs?
I live on the island of Hawaii now (the Big Island) and moved here about a year and a half ago. Our main highways (there are ne "freeways" here) have a speed limit of 50 mph. Most of my riding would be from my place in Keaau, to Hilo. All flat and about half must be on the 50mph high way, the rest on 40 mph roads. If I decide to order one, parts for it would have to shipped to me, and shipping is spendy.
I used to live in Puyallup, Wa., and there was a dealer that had these on River Road, so I did get to see a white one. Looked pretty nice to me.
I'm 59 and retired. I've ridden motorcycles since I was 8 and have owned quite a few dual sports from the Japanese big four and a Bultaco etc. I have no problem doing oil changes, adjusting valves, removing wheels and fixing flats/replacing tires, etc.
Have you had any issues with your bike? Weak points etc?
Thanks for your comments. My price to have one shipped to Hilo would be $1699 plus about $346 freight, so a total of $2045. New motorcycles are much more here than on the mainland, so the TMEC would be a bargain, but a bit of a risk.

Thanks for your comments, or from anyone else that has experience with these motorcycles
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

culcune
04-27-2013, 02:51 PM
jjn, sorry to get back to you so late. I bought the TMEC used. The speedometer cable had been broken, so no telling how far the guy had ridden it. He kept it outdoors on the street. While L.A. is not known for extreme weather, there was no way to know how many rainstorms it suffered under.

There were a few things which needed attention, mainly loose bolts. The rear brake fuid reservoir was not, and still is not, attached to anything. It was missing a side panel.

The engine had been broken in properly, because it ran and still runs great. The electric starter works great (I did have to charge the battery--not sure if it is stock). I recently put in a new spark plug, which is easy to get to. It is somewhat easy to kick start, but I have had to sweat it out (my starter relay went out--easy fix).

You will be starting out with a new bike. I think these Chinese bikes are a bit delicate, but starting from new, you should do okay, as long as you PDI it properly. I would hesitate to change the sprockets, since I suspect you Hawaiians are more laid back when it comes to speed limits, and people won't be riding your a%# as much as they do here. It will get to 55 mph stock, but screaming. 45 to 50 mph should be fine.

To me, $2k seems pricey, but I am not familiar with the economy of scale when it comes to bikes in Hawaii. My guess is that you won't find many Craiglist deals such as old '94 XR250 streeted bikes for the same money (i.e. $1500) like you might find in the L.A. or Phoenix CL. Considering it is brand new, and much less cost than many other new bikes, and is DOT/EPA approved for registration in 49 states (some have been registered in Calif), and the repairs are minimal, you should consider one. I commute 15 miles each way on mine 150 miles a week), and I have had few issues (and did buy it used), I would think you would do fine with it.

Oh, it is like most of the Chinese bikes; no oil filter, just a screen.