PDA

View Full Version : Gio t3 Mikuni carb settings?

Jpratt
04-08-2013, 09:49 PM
I can't get my quad to start and I know it's just not getting enough fuel, but I can't get the right settings for the needle and what not in the carb. I am not riding in cold weather so take that into account. I know most people on here have upgrade to the Mikuni carb for their gio beast or t3...

Weldangrind
04-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Need more data.

Is this a new carb, or was it installed from the factory? Has it been sitting with fuel in it over the winter? Have you cleaned the slow jet?

Jpratt
04-10-2013, 10:29 AM
The carb was installed last summer and ran fine; as it Got colder it wouldn't start so I just left it... It was sitting with fuel In it and I did clean it so now I am hoping it will start, but I don't know what the slow jet is... I basically only know where the idle screw is and the throttle needle... what level I should have the clip on the throttle needle? So basically I don't know much about the carb, how many things should I be adjusting other then the idle screw and the clip on the throttle needle??

Weldangrind
04-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Idle screw (to suit your taste), pilot mixture screw (to smooth out the transition from slow jet to main jet) and clip (mid-range throttle response).

Drain the carb, remove it, flip it over, remove the bowl and study. You'll see the round head main jet (that is likely stamped 100) and the small slow jet next to it (which is likely stamped 20). My guess is that you need to remove the slow jet and buy a 25 or 30 from your local Yamaha dealer. A fatter main jet wouldn't hurt, either. Try a 110.

Jpratt
04-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Well considering it ran fine last year, I don't think I need different jets, what level on the needle should I have the clip?

Weldangrind
04-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Leave the clip wherever it was when it ran; it doesn't affect starting or idling. My guess is that your slow jet is clogged. I know you said you cleaned it, but it's really small and difficult to clean.

Jpratt
04-11-2013, 12:51 AM
Got it started, wouldn't run without the choke and revved high, but found a crack in the intake manifold. So now I have to replace that and I should be set.

Weldangrind
04-11-2013, 10:12 AM
That makes perfect sense. A replacement intake tube is easily found on eBay.

Jpratt
04-11-2013, 04:56 PM
one last thing, what level would you suggest i have the clip on the throttle needle?

Weldangrind
04-11-2013, 11:01 PM
The middle position. After you re-install it, go for a ride and see how it behaves at mid-throttle. If it's not right, move the clip one notch and re-test. If it gets better, you're headed in the right direction.