PDA

View Full Version : Choke problem?

rickieh
04-10-2013, 03:25 PM
My bike is acting weird. It only does certain things with the choke on or off.
with the choke off I can take off,idle,hold the clutch in.
with the choke on I can cruise, go fast (high rpm)

when I pull the clutch/idle the bike dies with choke on.
When I try to speed up without choke the bike dies.

Whats going on here?
:!:

Wild_Alaskan
04-10-2013, 05:12 PM
clogged main jet. clean the carb

rickieh
04-10-2013, 08:08 PM
just cleaned it, same result.could it be the mixture screw on bottom?

heres the carb i put on
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380586714464?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

it didnt do this at first...could it be the gas has gone stale?
Also the gasket it came with between the float bowl and the actual carb is too big for the carb it folds in places. could that cause it as well?

rickieh
04-10-2013, 08:23 PM
just thought maybe the air filter is clogged?

The choke on my bike is when the plat is perpindicular to the bike like pointing front back not up down. when the choke is off the thing blocks air.

Weldangrind
04-10-2013, 11:52 PM
The opposite is true. When the plate is vertical and is blocking airflow, it is considered to be on. Also, if the choke is closed when you're idling, it will pop open when you open the throttle, because engine vacuum will force it open. It will only remain closed when you release the throttle. As a test, close the choke and then push the plate with your finger, so that it is open. As soon as you release it, light spring pressure will snap it shut.

Have you actually removed the jets for cleaning?

rickieh
04-11-2013, 05:50 PM
yeah,i removed them,stick them in a bottle with carb cleaner then blew it out with air.

Weldangrind
04-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Thatisn't likely to clear a blocked slow jet. I've used a single bristle from a wire brush, and I also recently heard that you can boil them in water for a few minutes. Haven't tried that trick yet.

Fonfe
04-14-2013, 04:04 AM
Yer man boil that sucker 8)