PDA

View Full Version : Zhongshan won't start???

alan566
04-13-2013, 08:31 AM
It just died ridding down the road. It's getting gas, I changed the spark plug and checked to see if it was firing and it has A very faint spark. With the battery fully charged the plug out and touching a head bolt I could barely see a spark. When trying to crank it it doesn't hit at all. I know the gas is good and the old plug was saturated with gas when I pulled it out.
So what would let it have a faint spark but not enough for it to run? I checked the spark at close to dark, I probably wouldn't be able to a spark at all in the day. In the past with the plug out and on the same head bolt you could see and the pop of the spark so I know the plug is grounded good.
Also The CDI looks fine, it's not swollen or anything. What should I look at next? The ran fine then all of a sudden it died. Thanks Alan

Weldangrind
04-13-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't think that a CDI would give you a visual indicator. Since they're cheap, I'd just buy two of 'em. Test CDI's by swapping them.

alan566
04-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks, that was what I was thinking too. Is there an American dealer yet? I tried to contact them several times from there website in the past and never got a reply. I only emailed them so in no local dealer then I will try calling them. Thanks

Weldangrind
04-14-2013, 02:40 AM
Zong America exists, but they are notoriously slow at responding to email. Have you tried eBay?

Fonfe
04-14-2013, 04:01 AM
Put a new plug in.
Took mine to the local shop to get it road worthy tested and it wouldn't start when I picked it up. Like you I had a very faint spark, tried cleaning the plug and still no joy (was very sotted up -think they just left the choke on when they were doing the test)
Put the old plug back in and started first hit.
If it does it again I know the bikes running too rich, ill be surprised if it is though as its set up for sea level and I live by the sea...

SpudRider
04-14-2013, 04:34 AM
It just died ridding down the road. It's getting gas, I changed the spark plug and checked to see if it was firing and it has A very faint spark. With the battery fully charged the plug out and touching a head bolt I could barely see a spark. When trying to crank it it doesn't hit at all. I know the gas is good and the old plug was saturated with gas when I pulled it out.
So what would let it have a faint spark but not enough for it to run? I checked the spark at close to dark, I probably wouldn't be able to a spark at all in the day. In the past with the plug out and on the same head bolt you could see and the pop of the spark so I know the plug is grounded good.
Also The CDI looks fine, it's not swollen or anything. What should I look at next? The ran fine then all of a sudden it died. Thanks Alan
I suspect the CDI unit is failing. However, you should check the rest of the electrical system to rule out any other problems. The TW200 Service Manual tells you the correct resistance values for the stator, pickup coil, spark plug cap, and ignition coil. If all these values are within specifications, the CDI unit is probably the culprit. ;)

If you don't have a spare CDI unit, I suggest you get one, since it greatly facilitates troubleshooting these kinds of electrical problems. Also, since all the Chinese CDI units are poorly manufactured, it's only a matter of time before your CDI unit will fail. If you have a spare CDI unit, you can swap it for the bad one and continue riding. Otherwise, you will need to wait for the replacement to arrive. ;)

I suggest you contact Zongshen America, and pester them, if necessary, until you get a spare CDI unit. :roll: However, it might be simpler to buy a CDI unit from Taobao. ;)

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.257.83vipR&id=9093511749

http://img04.taobaocdn.com/bao/uploaded/i4/T1iQRYXeXnXXa3__E1_042456.jpg_310x310.jpg

Better yet, buy several, spare CDI units, some replacement cables, clutch levers, et cetera, and you will save a lot of money while minimizing your shipping costs. ;)

Spud :)

SpudRider
04-14-2013, 04:38 AM
Put a new plug in.
Took mine to the local shop to get it road worthy tested and it wouldn't start when I picked it up. Like you I had a very faint spark, tried cleaning the plug and still no joy (was very sotted up -think they just left the choke on when they were doing the test)
Put the old plug back in and started first hit.
If it does it again I know the bikes running too rich, ill be surprised if it is though as its set up for sea level and I live by the sea...
I suspect you might also have a bad CDI unit. ;) These CDI units exhibit intermittent failures for a few weeks before they fail entirely. :roll: I suggest you check the resistance values for the rest of the electrical system, and also purchase a spare CDI unit. ;)

humanbeing
04-14-2013, 08:31 AM
The cheapest in taobao: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=17646027996 . Don't know it's AC(交流) or DC(直流)

SpudRider
04-14-2013, 11:42 AM
The cheapest in taobao: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=17646027996 . Don't know it's AC(交流) or DC(直流)
Wow! That's a great price, HumanBeing! 8O I probably should order a few more myself, for that price. :) The ZS200GY-2 is an AC-CDI unit. ;)

alan566
04-14-2013, 08:39 PM
how is the best way to order from them? i can't exactly read anything but the price, lol
and thanks for all the fast help!!!

SpudRider
04-14-2013, 11:01 PM
how is the best way to order from them? i can't exactly read anything but the price, lol
and thanks for all the fast help!!!
Several of us, including myself, have bought items from Taobao using an agent at TBTrends.

http://www.tbtrends.com/

Create an account, and follow the directions for ordering. ;) Basically, you add items to your shopping cart by copying and pasting the URL for the item's webpage in your "shopping cart." The TBTrends agent communicates with you in English, and purchases your parts from the various Taobao vendors after you pay the domestic shipping. Then the agent packages all the items in one box, and gives you a shipping cost from China. After you pay the final bill, the items are shipped directly to your home. ;)

alan566
04-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys, I ordered 3 of those humanbeing showed the way you said spud.

SpudRider
04-25-2013, 02:34 AM
You were wise to order 3 CDI units, Alan. ;) By ordering 3 units, you reduced the shipping costs for each, individual CDI unit. :) Also, you won't need to place another order in the event the first, spare CDI unit doesn't last as long as you might hope. ;)

SpudRider
04-25-2013, 02:35 AM
Please keep us updated regarding your business transaction with TBTrends. :)

alan566
04-25-2013, 04:17 PM
They just emailed and told me that this is a dc part, not an ac part. Will this work? I don't think so but I have to ask.

SpudRider
04-25-2013, 04:23 PM
They just emailed and told me that this is a dc part, not an ac part. Will this work? I don't think so but I have to ask.
Your Zong definitely employs an AC-CDI unit. Try ordering this CDI unit.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.150.dMhuEl&id=15891162209

Make sure you get an AC-CDI unit for your Zong. ;)

alan566
04-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Ok that's the one I will go with. Thanks

SpudRider
04-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Ok that's the one I will go with. Thanks
I edited my previous thread, and changed the link, Alan. ;) Try ordering this CDI unit. Make sure it is an AC-CDI unit. :)

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.150.dMhuEl&id=15891162209

alan566
04-28-2013, 03:32 PM
I ordered 3 of them, I told em it had to be ac. I will know soon enough. Thanks

SpudRider
04-28-2013, 11:32 PM
I ordered 3 of them, I told em it had to be ac. I will know soon enough. Thanks
You're welcome, Alan. :) Please keep us updated.

alan566
07-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Sorry for the long delay, they work great!!!

SpudRider
07-10-2013, 01:29 AM
Thanks for updating us with the good news, Alan. :tup: