PDA

View Full Version : 2006 lifan rusty pipe

Gabe branscum
05-17-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm having a hard time finding an exhaust system for my lifan.It is rusted and the only ugly part of the bike.Where can I get a replacement.I know some of you guys have custom done some exhaust systems.It is a lf200gy any help would be greatly appreciated.

SpudRider
05-17-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm having a hard time finding an exhaust system for my lifan.It is rusted and the only ugly part of the bike.Where can I get a replacement.I know some of you guys have custom done some exhaust systems.It is a lf200gy any help would be greatly appreciated.
I suggest you check eBay, Hooper Imports, and Roketa.com. :)

Weldangrind
05-19-2013, 11:54 AM
You may not need a replacement, particularly if the pipe does not have holes in it. Try the electrolytic de-rusting method.

I use a plastic garbage can for the process, and fill it with 15 gallons of warm water. To that, I add 15 tbsp of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda and mix well. Insert a piece of scrap steel that is the same size or larger than the exhaust header pipe (don't include the muffler for this step); make sure that the scrap steel is mostly rust-free. Connect the positive clamp of a 12 volt battery charger to the scrap steel and the negative to the exhaust header (make sure the area that the clamp is attached to is clean and rust-free).

After a few minutes, the washing soda solution will slowly begin to swirl around, and bubbles will rise to the surface, as the rust is removed from your header and deposited on the scrap steel.

Make sure that the two items in the water don't touch each other, and use a GFCI outlet for safety (a good idea, but not madatory). Give the header 10 minutes, unplug the charger and have a look. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Give the header a couple of coats of high-heat paint, and you're good to go.

SpudRider
05-19-2013, 01:51 PM
That's a great tip, Weld! :)

katoranger
05-19-2013, 02:12 PM
My 1950s metal lawn chairs came out really nice using that method.

Weld is a xr200 header pipe close to a gy pipe?

Wild_Alaskan
05-19-2013, 02:44 PM
I have a complete stock exhaust system for sale

Weldangrind
05-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Weld is a xr200 header pipe close to a gy pipe?

It depends on the GY. I have one that's really close, but another where the header is much longer with a tighter bend.