PDA

View Full Version : know anything about adjustable brake pumps?

JPG1911
05-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Hello again,

Recently I bought this "high performance" brake pump (http://www.motopartscenter.com/high-performance-front-brake-pump-for-dirt-bike-road-motorcycle-p-205.html) online. The description says "the interspace is adjustable". I honestly hadn't even noticed that line in the description until I opened the package today and pondered what the rotary indexing wheel wheel at the hinge was for. It has numbers 1 - 4 stamped on it, and arrived set to 4. Just playing with the dial, it seems very difficult to index, not wanting to break my new brake lever:hehe:, I haven't tried to force it to move. My guess is that it adjusts the throw of the brake lever, with 1 being the shortest throw, and 4 being the longest or closest to stock. Does anyone have experience with these types of pumps? Will it be more trouble than it's worth? Should I send it back and buy this one (http://www.motopartscenter.com/right-upper-disc-brake-pump-for-50cc250cc-atv-go-kart-p-216.html), which is near identical to the broken stock part on my bike, but doesn't appear to have a sight glass, and is listed for ATV/Go-cart, and will require additional purchase of brake lever - effectively equalizing the cost? Opinions please.

I'm on call through Monday, and won't have access to the bike, or time to play with it until Tuesday, so I can only daydream and wonder until then... and bother you fine folks with all my questions. On Tuesday and Wednesday (my "weekend") I plan to install my new ignition switch, spark plug, clutch cable, clutch lever assembly, brake pump, and battery. Drain old fluids, add fresh brake fluid, oil, gas, and replace the broken oil drain plug. Hopefully I can at least get the bike started. I am also ordering a replacement CDI tonight when my paycheck is deposited, just in case, and hope it arrives by Wednesday.

here is a better pic of the pump with dial.

edtardo
05-23-2013, 10:01 PM
It adjusts how close the lever sits to the handlebar, there is a little post on the mastercylinder and the wheel with the numbers has holes of various depths, the post fits in the hole and sets the postion. Incidently the one I have broke when trying to adjust it.

SpudRider
05-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Based upon Edtardo's reply, I would use the master cylinder you bought, but I would not try to adjust it. ;)

Weldangrind
05-24-2013, 10:39 AM
That's a Roll-a-click knockoff. The genuine article is factory stock on some Japanese bikes, and the replacement levers are usually around $100 from major bike retailers. I've never tried a copy, but the original version makes for a custom grip-to-lever distance to suit any hand size.

I wonder if yours can be dismantled and sanded / filed / whatever to make it work smoothly. You could always pop into a dealer to see one on a bike.

JPG1911
05-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the tips. Upon further inspection, I noticed a small spring on the back side of the hinge. Turns out, if you push the brake lever forward, the rotary knob is VERY easy to rotate - a little too easy in fact. The knob is fixed to a shaft that goes through the brake lever and the bottom of that shaft is press rolled like a rivet. There is entirely too much free play in the fitting of these parts for me to be comfortable with it being on my bike. I plan to fit a circlip or snap ring of appropriate size into the gap between brake lever and rivet end. I will post detailed pics when the modification is complete and works to my liking

Weldangrind
05-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Looking forward to pics. I've wondered how well those knockoff Roll-a-click levers work; I might like to install one for my wife.

edtardo
05-26-2013, 03:29 PM
The other day I layed my bike down on a dirt road doing 10mph and the lever snapped at the adjustment wheel.

JPG1911
05-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Ka-Chow! Man, is that thing ever shiny!

I installed the brake pump today, cycled out the old brake fluid that kind of resembled used oil, and bled it.

Since the bike isn't running yet, and since I'm not an experienced rider, I can't offer any kind of comparison or review except to say that works, and adjustment is simple and one-handed. I did find it odd that the hose from reservoir to pump is only atached with tiny zip ties and that no hose clamps were included - they are on my shopping list. I elected not to mod the lever as planned with a circlip shim after tinkering with it for a bit. I noticed that out of the box, fit and finish were very sloppy, and there was a lot of play between all the moving parts. I spent a few minutes tightening and adjusting the nuts and bolts. My main frustration was with the lever hinge pin/screw, it seemed to be either SUPER sloppy, or so tight it wouldn't return, once I found the sweet spot (with regard to tension) I locked it in place with red locktite, and lever operation is precise and silky smooth. When pushing the bike into the garage at a pretty good clip, I locked the brake down and the bike squatted down to the bottom of it's suspension travel. I feel pretty satisfied with it at this point, and will be even more so once hose clamps are installed on the reservoir hose.

I forgot to take good detail shots for Weldandgrind as promised, this is the best one I had from today. I can take more tomorrow

incidentally, I think the bike looks substantially better sans fender and reflectors.

Weldangrind
05-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Ka-Chow!

Excellent Lightning McQueen reference. Looking forward to pics.

JPG1911
05-28-2013, 11:31 PM
I have a 3 year old boy, on average, I'd guess Cars is watched at least 3 times per week in my house:tup:

SpudRider
05-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Excellent Lightning McQueen reference. Looking forward to pics.

I have a 3 year old boy, on average, I'd guess Cars is watched at least 3 times per week in my house:tup:

I have to keep looking this stuff up! :hmm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5uH7lgfwxY

:lol:

bogieboy
05-29-2013, 12:07 AM
Ka-chicka! Ka-chicka!

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/bogieboy01/DSC_0019_zps9d1dea66.jpg (http://s662.photobucket.com/user/bogieboy01/media/DSC_0019_zps9d1dea66.jpg.html)

my bikes even the right color...LOL

http://carsbilar.se/wp-content/uploads/chick-hicks.jpg

JPG1911
05-29-2013, 12:51 AM
touche sir

Weldangrind
05-29-2013, 10:30 AM
touche sir

:lmao:

Can you tell that Pixar movies are well-played in our homes?

bogieboy
05-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Anyone wanna go tractor tippin tonight? LOL

JPG1911
06-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Here are the pics I promised Weldandgrind. Sorry for the delay my friend, life has kicked me in the rear for the last few weeks.

On my way to my friend's house yesterday, where the bike is garaged, I was blindsided by a nasty migraine. All I could manage to do was roll the bike out, take these 5 pictures, roll her back in, cautiously drive home before the tunnel vision set in, stab a needle in my thigh, and pass out.

As you can see, the hose from reservoir to pump is attached only with ultra small zip ties, this is the way the pump came out of the package. Later today, I will be replacing them with stainless steel hose clamps, and will post another pic tonight

I will also be installing my new oil drain plug, and filling the crankcase with fresh oil, and putting new battery terminals on the cables, the old stock ones corroded off.

The $5 ATV ignition switch I bought does not work properly on my bike, the colors on the wiring harness matched, but not the orientation, I changed the order of the wires in the clip to match the bike's harness, but still no lights work, and no spark. However, the starter motor works regardless if the key is on or off, or even in the ignition at all. i have a matched set with locking gas cap on the way, so i hope that solves the problem and i can get the engine started, or at least properly troubleshoot it.

later tonight I plan on trying my hand at ordering in chinese, I have found a few things on taobao.com that I can't live without, wish me Luck, i hope I don't end up with a baby doll instead of a battery box

SpudRider
06-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for posting the photos. Your adjustable brake lever looks great. :tup:

If Taobao sends you a baby doll, make sure you get one without lead paint. :lol:

Weldangrind
06-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the pics! Sorry to hear about the tunnel vision; that has only happened to me once. Hated it.

Be careful. Taobao is quite addictive.

bogieboy
06-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Measly migraine is all? Shoot junior.....LOL i spent the weekend in ICU because i almost died from a massive blood clot in my lungs.....LOL migraines ares supposed to slow ya down that much......

LOL and just so ya know i am just messin with ya, but i did actually spend the weekend in icu....

JPG1911
06-08-2013, 10:09 PM
don't worry bogie, I can take the heat ;) sorry to hear about your trip to the inside, but glad you made it out OK. I've had an on again off again problem with migraines since I was 6, I missed over half my 7th grade year because of the damn things. I had one that lasted for over 2 weeks, you don't really know pain until you've considered ending it all to make it stop. Thankfully I only get 1-3 a year now.

nyvdub89
06-08-2013, 10:16 PM
JPG, the lever looks great!

JPG1911
06-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Thanks, I wish I liked chrome ;) when I'm *done* with the bike, the only things on it that will not be black will be the brake pump and the carb. I'm planning on painting the engine with gloss black engine enamel, and pretty much everything else will be flat black. I'm quite fond of high-heat BBQ paint, it looks great and holds up well on outdoor applications when properly applied. For the plastics, I think I'll use Fusion if I can find it in flat black. I'm going to trim my front fender to a similar shape as Weldandgrind has trimmed his fender for you, but slightly "pointy-er"

SpudRider
06-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks, I wish I liked chrome ;) when I'm *done* with the bike, the only things on it that will not be black will be the brake pump and the carb. I'm planning on painting the engine with gloss black engine enamel, and pretty much everything else will be flat black. I'm quite fond of high-heat BBQ paint, it looks great and holds up well on outdoor applications when properly applied. For the plastics, I think I'll use Fusion if I can find it in flat black. I'm going to trim my front fender to a similar shape as Weldandgrind has trimmed his fender for you, but slightly "pointy-er"
You can purchase Krylon Fusion in gloss black, satin black, flat black, and camouflage black. :)

JPG1911
06-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Thanks Spud, I went to the krylon site shortly after posting this and found flat black #2519, I will be picking up a few cans tomorrow afternoon. If I can't get the engine running yet, at least cleaning and painting will give me some much needed garage therapy in the meantime. I have already sanded and painted the rear center section cover and front fender with aforementioned flat black BBQ paint and they look great, but I know it will chip the first time a rock comes anywhere near it. I'm going to sand them back down and do it up with fusion. I've only used it on lawn furniture before, but I know it's very good stuff. If that doesn't hold up, I might buy the el-cheapo HVLP spray gun at harbor freight and get some PPG flat black