PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm looking for a dual sport!

olds_cool63
06-11-2013, 01:46 AM
Hey, y'all.

It's been a looong time since I've been here.

My '01 Suzuki Bandit 1200S has been an absolute pleasure to ride.

It's gonna be more of a play bike due to low mpg.

So, I'm looking for a dual sport that will see mostly commuting duties. Has be to at least a 250 and reliable.

I'm thinking Qlink or maybe the Shineray dual sports (I think they are exactly the same).

Any one have some info, likes dis-likes?

What else would you recommend?

Also, is it possible to get larger gas tanks for Chinese dual sports? I'm thinking 4 gallons max. I've seen some 275cc big bore kits out there, definitely something I'd do ASAP.

So, if ya got something to say, please do!

Thanks!

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

bogieboy
06-11-2013, 06:13 AM
I just picked up a shineray 200cc model, and was pleasently surprised at the build quality... From what i have seen shineray/roketa/sunl and a few others all have exported the same bike as what i have under different names, easiest one to look up is a roketa db07a...as for the 250s, no experience there....i would be interested in a link to the hig bore kits you mentioned to see if i could use one on my 200....

Weldangrind
06-11-2013, 10:09 AM
I second that. I've never seen a big bore kit made for a Honda clone that takes it to 275cc. Please share the link with us.

olds_cool63
06-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Here ya go:

http://shinerayforum.com/index.php?topic=4420.0

Made by Zuma. A company called Athena also makes them. There is one other company, I believe, Polini (I think).

You can also search for a 250cc big bore kit for a 200cc, which may be just for ATV's (some bike use the ATV engines).

So, good quality bikes, huh?

Oh, yeah...there is a 400cc dual sport by Shineray. Not sure if it's sold in the US. If it is, then that would be my top choice: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/shineray-kougar-400r/21564.html

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

SpudRider
06-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Bogieboy is referring to his 200cc Shineray, which is different from the 250cc, dual sport bikes you are considering, OC. The 250cc bikes employ a copy of a Suzuki engine, and are manufactured by Qingqi. Similarly, the 275cc, big bore kit is manufactured for the 250cc engines in the Qingqi bikes. ;)

You can find several threads on the 250cc bikes in the Dual Sport Forum. I'm sure they are good motorcycles, like the 200cc QLink/Konker bikes which preceded them. :)

The Shineray 400cc bike has a faithful copy of the Honda NX400 engine! I've seen this bike labeled the Shineray X5, and I started a thread on this motorcycle.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12001

If it is imported to the United States, I would be very interested in the Shineray X5/Kougar. :) However, I haven't heard of it arriving on our shores, yet. ;)

culcune
06-12-2013, 10:37 PM
The only bike I can think of that is currently available in the US is the SSR XF250. Pretty much the same bike as the Qlink XF 200, but slightly bigger engine, and sold through SSR.

olds_cool63
06-13-2013, 01:41 AM
The only bike I can think of that is currently available in the US is the SSR XF250. Pretty much the same bike as the Qlink XF 200, but slightly bigger engine, and sold through SSR.

Hey, culcune!

Long time, my friend.

Yeah, I REALLY like that bike, I just don't trust a rear drum brake for commuting.

I see a BUNCH of 200cc bikes out there.

Was wondering if anyone has done an engine swap to at least a 250? Wonder if a twin would fit? Remember, this would be a commuter.

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

Weldangrind
06-13-2013, 10:42 AM
I picked up a water cooled 250 for cheap, and I might stuff it into something. The build quality is much better than I thought it would be, and it is a genuine 249cc motor. My guess is that it will tolerate more compression, due to cooling.

Doc said something about his YZ that got me thinking about using this motor. He reported that his YZ doesn't use a thermostat, and it occurred to me that there is no benefit to one, if you don't have cold starts. I'm aware that a thermostat also acts as a flow restrictor (to prevent coolant from hitting the rad too quickly, and not having time to cool), so I would gut the existing thermostat and use the base plate as a restrictor.

I'm hoping to get away with a single CR125 rad, since it fits a downtube nicely, and it has a rad cap and overflow tube. That project is a ways off, but I might even stick it in the café bike I plan to build.

Since the engine is CG-based, I might even add a small valve cover based oil cooler.

edtardo
06-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Weld, I think you are going to have to move to china and start building motorcycles.

culcune
06-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Hey, culcune!

Long time, my friend.

Yeah, I REALLY like that bike, I just don't trust a rear drum brake for commuting.

I see a BUNCH of 200cc bikes out there.

Was wondering if anyone has done an engine swap to at least a 250? Wonder if a twin would fit? Remember, this would be a commuter.

Nuff said.

olds_cool63
The SSR version of the XF250 has rear disc. The only swap I remember anyone doing is Wild Alaskan's 400 swap into his Lifan GY 5. I have contemplated finding one of the Apollo 229 cc dirt bikes on CL since they usually sell for $500 or so, used,and swapping the engine into my TMEC. I have had a pretty good run with my bike, 30 miles round-trip daily commute, and it is only 200cc, avg. 50 mpg.

olds_cool63
06-14-2013, 12:39 PM
The SSR version of the XF250 has rear disc. The only swap I remember anyone doing is Wild Alaskan's 400 swap into his Lifan GY 5. I have contemplated finding one of the Apollo 229 cc dirt bikes on CL since they usually sell for $500 or so, used,and swapping the engine into my TMEC. I have had a pretty good run with my bike, 30 miles round-trip daily commute, and it is only 200cc, avg. 50 mpg.

It's funny...I took a good look at the pics and do see a disk. Every description I've read states "rear drum brakes".

Guess the SSR is back in the #1 position!

So, now I have some questions for all those who have ridden the or own the bike:

1) Comfortable for commuting?

2) Is the engine enough for commuting up to 70 mph? (I still plan to swap out or go big bore at some point).

3) What's the mpg like?

4) What size is the gas tank? Is there a bigger after market tank?

5) What is the engine a clone of?

If there's anything else I can think of, will let ya know.

Thanks!

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

SpudRider
06-14-2013, 01:29 PM
It's funny...I took a good look at the pics and do see a disk. Every description I've read states "rear drum brakes".

Guess the SSR is back in the #1 position!

So, now I have some questions for all those who have ridden the or own the bike:

1) Comfortable for commuting?

2) Is the engine enough for commuting up to 70 mph? (I still plan to swap out or go big bore at some point).

3) What's the mpg like?

4) What size is the gas tank? Is there a bigger after market tank?

5) What is the engine a clone of?

If there's anything else I can think of, will let ya know.

Thanks!

Nuff said.

olds_cool63
The Qingqi 200cc engines have proven themselves reliable. We don't know much about this bike, because no one has reported buying one. We need someone to lead the way, and that person could be you, OC! ;)

This engine is a clone of a reliable Suzuki engine. I'm sure it gets good mpg. :) However, if you plan to commute on limited access highways, I would suggest you consider the Honda CBR250R, Ninja 250, Ninja 300, or Honda CBR500R/F/X motorcycles. ;)

As with all Chinese bikes, I'm sure the aftermarket support is non-existent. :ohno: Therefore, I don't think you will have much luck finding a larger fuel tank for this bike. ;)

olds_cool63
06-14-2013, 04:45 PM
The Qingqi 200cc engines have proven themselves reliable. We don't know much about this bike, because no one has reported buying one. We need someone to lead the way, and that person could be you, OC! ;)

This engine is a clone of a reliable Suzuki engine. I'm sure it gets good mpg. :) However, if you plan to commute on limited access highways, I would suggest you consider the Honda CBR250R, Ninja 250, Ninja 300, or Honda CBR500R/F/X motorcycles. ;)

As with all Chinese bikes, I'm sure the aftermarket support is non-existent. :ohno: Therefore, I don't think you will have much luck finding a larger fuel tank for this bike. ;)

Hey, Spud.

Thanks for the response, man.

Yeah...I looked at all the Honda 500's..still waiting for the X to hit the dealers. If I go with a name brand, that's actually my number 1 choice. Number 2 is the 500 naked. I really liked the NC700 and was ready to grab one, but then I changed my mind. It's as heavy as my Bandit 1200S and half the horse power. I'm not looking for a powerhouse by any means, but I want a light, nimble bike this time around.

One of the reasons I was thinking another Chinese bike (I had a Tank Vision sport bike once upon a time), is the low cost and I intend to do some mods.

I'm not too worried about parts. There's always something that will work, especially with clone bikes.

A dealer in Mesa, AZ has one 200cc SSR in stock. Gonna head over there tomorrow just to check it out, but I really want the 250. Said he can get it for $3200, but I've seen them for hundreds less.

Keep ya posted.

Thanks!

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

SpudRider
06-14-2013, 11:39 PM
For $4,500 you can get a new, Honda CRF250L, which has fuel injection. ;)

culcune
06-15-2013, 05:55 AM
There was a guy who bought the XF250 and started a thread here and on mychinamoto. He might sell the bikes, so was evaluating one, and had the initial good, bad, and, that was about it...mostly good with a little bad. I think he said it will break 70 mph without stress,but that is in 4th gear since 5th felt like an overdrive with the stock gearing.

I agree with considering the Honda, although dealers will have charges bringing the price over $4500, probably closer to $5k (PDI and destination). The SSR should be available for under $3k via mail order including shipping. What dealer in Mesa has them?

SpudRider
06-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Many of the Honda dealers in the Intermountain West, including my local dealer, are selling the CRF250L for MSRP, without any bogus charges. Here's a dealer in Scottsdale, AZ, who is selling the CRF250L for $4,269, but he will probably add a few bogus charges. :ohno:

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2013-Honda-CRF250L-250L-106492194

olds_cool63
06-16-2013, 07:14 AM
Hey, culcune...here's a link to the dealer in Mesa:

http://www.advantiauto.com/inventory/view/6816756?2013+SSR+XF+200+DUAL+SPORT+ENDURO+FREEWAY+ LEGAL+%2A+SAVE+%24500.00+%2A+Mesa+AZ

Hey, Spud...trust me, I've read all there is on the 250L ever since it was announced late last year. The local dealer doesn't have them, yet.

I really like the Honda. The CB250R engine has been re-tweaked for lower grunt. Also, on the road, it doesn't seem to have too much past 70...actually takes quite a bit to accelerate much past 60 (according to a review I just read on one of the major magazine sites).

Plus, I probably wouldn't mod a bike much at that cost.

Ultimately, I intend to do an engine swap or a big bore kit, if possible. So, that's the main reason I'm looking for something a bit cheaper. I can ride it as a 250 for a bit until I get an engine that would work great with the frame. Object is to get it in the 35-40 hp range.

And of course, there will be other mods, including a paint job, etc...

Thanks!

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

culcune
06-16-2013, 02:59 PM
I would think the Qlink/SSR might fit the bill; not sure on swapping in a DR 400 engine, but since they are both SUZUKI/SUZUKI clone, someone (you) could be the Guinea pig...

I have seen this dealer on CL in the past because they also carry other Chinese bikes and ATVs/UTVs. I wonder if they do test rides?

I might look into adding one of the XF200s to my carport at $2200. I forgot why you had mentioned drum brakes; the Qlink version uses drum, while SSR uses disc.