PDA

View Full Version : Lifan 200gy-5 blinker issue.

Tj_saxon
06-23-2013, 05:12 AM
I am having a problem that isn't huge it is just annoying me. My left blinker blinks at what I would say is a normal pace, where as the right is very slow. Any one had a problem like this with any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Weldangrind
06-23-2013, 12:19 PM
I haven't had that problem, and I don't have any wisdom to share. The only guess I have is that the slow blinker isn't grounded as well. You could also dismantle the switch assembly and clean the contacts.

edtardo
06-23-2013, 01:15 PM
You can change the bulb and see if that helps. I had a similar problem and new bulbs fixed the problem.

Wild_Alaskan
06-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Right one is probably low on blinker fluid ;)

Tj_saxon
06-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Lol, wild Alaskan was right.

It's a brand new switch, I will check the grounds. And possibly replace the bulbs but I have already replaced the whole rear blinkers assembly and about to change the front once I finish my brackets.

tecnolli
06-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Low pace of blinker indicates that the blinker relay sees a higher resistance than normal. The cause could be wrong bulbs (21Watts instead of 10Watts for example), or bad grounding in any part of your wiring between bulb and switch. If the blinkers were not grounded, they would not blink at all.

The opposite (blinker pace too fast) often occours with LED blinkers, which have got a much lower resistance than bulbs. Most LED blinkers have only 1Watt. In this case you can simply cure the problem with one of these relays:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-ATV-LED-FLASHER-BLINKER-RELAY-DOT-APPROVED-/140977611801?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d2eba419&vxp=mtr
For this relay it doesn't matter if you use bulbs or LED, or a mixture of both. It has three pins, and if your bike has a two-pin-relay, just put the third pin of the new relay on ground and you're done.

@Tj saxon, nice opportunity to switch to LED blinkers and save some Watts for your headlight. No big thing to change the relay. It's done even faster than filling up blinker fluid. :hehe:

Tj_saxon
06-24-2013, 12:45 AM
Lol, the backs are led now and I am in the process of doing the front. I'm guessing its in the wiring sadly :/ oh well I will live with one slow blinker. Off subject does anyone know if the lifan 200gy 5 rear hub is a full width hub.

SpudRider
06-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Many riders prefer D&M blinker fluid.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117409&d=1368469467

However, I currently use Motul blinker fluid. :)

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/528828_10151637268780828_1643277632_n.jpg

Nevertheless, I might try Hello Kitty blinker fluid during my next fluid change. ;)

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=173329&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1351521237

:hehe:

Krasi_BG
06-24-2013, 02:16 AM
I haven't seen blinker fluids yet. All the noobs around here usually are advised to buy fresh bottles of compression (or a can of clearance) :D

Tj_saxon
06-24-2013, 02:20 AM
AHHHAHAHA!!! LEGIT BLINKER FLUID!!! I HAD NO IDEA. I cant stop laughing.

Xrrl
06-24-2013, 02:46 AM
I actually had this exact same problem, on the same side. I had another bulb lying around the shop and installed it, and now they are both flashing at the same pace. The bulb was amber and of a larger size, but I'm not sure on the number or wattage. I just did a simple experiment, it worked, so I left it like that. Hopefully your fix will be as easy as mine.

Tj_saxon
06-24-2013, 03:06 AM
Yea, I'm hoping when I put the new led blinker in it will fix it.

tecnolli
06-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Just to get the whole story right, the slow blinker pace started after you changed your rear blinkers to LED?

Tj_saxon
06-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Not uh, I forgot to mention that. It was doing it before. I thought it was the switch as sometimes it was hard to get it to even work. So I changed it, it's no biggie as the bike was laid down and all but one of the blinkers was held on with tape so I wouldn't doubt one of the bulbs would have been replaced with bulbs that weren't right.

tecnolli
06-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Ah, i suspect you'll find a 10Watt bulb in your right front blinker where a 21Watt should be. The less current causes the bimetal inside the relay to take a little longer to warm up to react, what results in slow blinker pace.
Anyway, with the original relay you will end up with constant or no blinker light when you change your front blinkers to LED too.

SpudRider
06-25-2013, 12:12 AM
I agree with Tecnolli. Once you switch to 4 LED turn signals, your conventional flasher unit will not work. You need to install an LED flasher if you want to employ 4 LED turn signals. I use the LED flasher shown in the link below. ;)

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/lf1-s-flat-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/842/

Also, if your bike has a single, turn signal indicator, you must remove the bulb from the indicator, or the four, LED turn signals will not work. :tdown: If this is your situation, and you want the signal indicator to work, let me know. I will tell you the solution. ;)

Tj_saxon
06-25-2013, 02:00 AM
I will check when I get home, this is exciting news lol.

Krasi_BG
06-25-2013, 02:50 AM
OR, instead of changing the relay, you can install in parallel to one of the bulbs a 10 ohm resistor which will put enough load in the circuit to make the standard relay to work.

It's best to use a high-power ceramic one so that it doesn't overheat. I did that on my old bike when I changed the front blinkers to LED ones.

Weldangrind
06-25-2013, 10:56 AM
You certainly can add a resistor, but then you have the same demand on the electrical system that you'd have with standard incandescent bulbs. If you use a dedicated LED flasher, the draw will be much lower. These little stators can use an increase in efficiency.

SpudRider
06-25-2013, 02:45 PM
I agree with Weld. Most people switch to LED turn signals to reduce the power draw from the stator. Installing resistors negates this advantage, and is more complicated than merely purchasing an LED flasher. ;)