PDA

View Full Version : Night Ride in the forest

egg_foo_moto
07-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Hey everyone,

So after a tough week at work and no adventure in the last few months, I decided it was time for something different. I got home from work and started to prep my 2007 Lifan GY-5. Around 8:00pm or so all systems were checked and the bike was ready. I packed a bag with all the required overnight items and I was off.

Here in Colorado, south of Denver, we have a trail system that we access using Rampart Range Road. It is all dirt and really long. Once you are back in the Pike National forest it splits off in all directions and will take you all the way to Colorado Springs.

Now I don't know how many of you have ridden deep in to a national forest at night, but is an experience that should be had at some point in your lives. It was so dark and so quiet, just me and my GY. The only light was from the bike and the GPS. Each time I would would stop for a break, I would turn everything off and just stand there in the dark blinking, it was great. I even felt like a kid a couple of times being afraid being alone in the forest at night!

I was in the saddle for about 6 hours and covered over 100 miles of rough terrain I had never seen before, let alone at night. I did have cell service for a short part of the trek and my wife had my route at home in case I failed to check in, being I was alone in the middle of the night, in the middle of the forest.

Here is a pic of the my GY before the ride...

Weldangrind
07-22-2013, 12:04 AM
That's really cool, but I'd rather ride with a buddy.

FastDoc
07-22-2013, 02:13 PM
That sounds awesome, but I would not take that risk. I take risks but don't combine them unless necessary.

For example, I will trail ride at night, or alone, but not both. I will fly in the mountains, or at night, but not both.

This is one ride report we can't get pictures!

zingshoen
07-22-2013, 07:04 PM
i agree with doc! also here wildlife would get in the way. from 11 nocturnal animals take over even in the suburbs.
but i dig the experience and i m proud you did it! alone is best coz (most) people (I know) talk too much.

FastDoc
07-22-2013, 07:17 PM
This March I was alone on a day ride in the Blue Mountains by my house. The days were still short in early spring and there was still snow in many places. I misjudged the time and had to ride out after dark. It was dusty, and the trails were poorly marked. I can find my way OK in the day there but wow was it different after dark. I did not have a GPS and a phone is of no value there. The temp was dropping quickly through the 40's and I was getting nervous and praying hard. I made it back to the truck about 2 hours after sunset, cold but unharmed.

Still, it was fun LOL!

FastDoc
07-22-2013, 07:26 PM
i agree with doc! also here wildlife would get in the way. from 11 nocturnal animals take over even in the suburbs.
but i dig the experience and i m proud you did it! alone is best coz (most) people (I know) talk too much.

I never even thought about the wolves and bears!

zingshoen
07-22-2013, 07:58 PM
here there a possums and wombats. the dangerous ones are kangaroos after dark. they just jump out in front of you.
not sure about bears, but wolves would be smart enough to stay out of your way.

tecnolli
07-22-2013, 10:50 PM
I love the idea of a night ride in the forest. In Germany my main concern would not be wolves or bears, but ending up in jail or hitting a phone booth. :lmao:
You're blessed with your beautiful territories.

FastDoc
07-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Even in America, many of our beautiful public lands are being closed off to the public, especially for motorized use:-( The 'Green' movement, while maybe not as severe in Europe, is gaining strength here and we are losing our land as a consequence.

This is very prevelant in California and Arizona in particular. The East is already shot and has been for a long time. Oregon, Washington, Montana, and Idaho remain free, but threatened.

SpudRider
07-23-2013, 12:34 PM
I ride alone all the time, but not after dark. ;) When you have time, please do post some photos of your bike in its native habitat of Colorado! We love photos. :)

egg_foo_moto
07-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys!

I will get some pics next time I'm out. Here in Colorado there are sooooo many places to ride. Some are technical and rocky. Others are like a ride through a quiet park that just goes on for miles and miles. I have the blue LF and my wife has the same one but in Red. They are both still in show room shape. Even with all the miles We have put on them.

I will say that the trail I was on was more of a rough dirt road than a trail. Very well marked. RV camping is very common along that road as well, so there were plenty of people around for most of the ride (I just couldn't see them)

Being on that trail at night is kinda like camping in your back yard as a kid, you felt like you were on your own but someone was always close by. :o)

I think that's why I liked it so much. I didn't have any of the stress of being out of options if something didn't go according to plan. Makes things much more enjoyable.

I was sort of afraid I would see a Big Foot or some other monster as my light broke the shadows in front of me.

FastDoc
07-23-2013, 02:27 PM
It is well known that Sasquatches like Chinabikes so you should be OK.

egg_foo_moto
07-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Even in America, many of our beautiful public lands are being closed off to the public, especially for motorized use:-( The 'Green' movement, while maybe not as severe in Europe, is gaining strength here and we are losing our land as a consequence.

This is very prevelant in California and Arizona in particular. The East is already shot and has been for a long time. Oregon, Washington, Montana, and Idaho remain free, but threatened.

One thing I do when I'm out in my Nissan Xterra on the trails, anytime I see trashed campsites or other damage these inconsiderate losers leave behind, I stop and clean it up. (I always carry trash bags)

I look at places that have closed trails and cut off access and I realize the reason that happens is because there are more abusers of the land than responsible users and once that balance is off, these places will always end up closed in the near future.

I'm not even a nature nut. I just hate to see these places being wasted.

egg_foo_moto
07-23-2013, 02:33 PM
It is well known that Sasquatches like Chinabikes so you should be OK.

Maybe I'll teach the next one how to ride. (and give him some beef jerky!)

FastDoc
07-23-2013, 02:37 PM
One thing I do when I'm out in my Nissan Xterra on the trails, anytime I see trashed campsites or other damage these inconsiderate losers leave behind, I stop and clean it up. (I always carry trash bags)

I look at places that have closed trails and cut off access and I realize the reason that happens is because there are more abusers of the land than responsible users and once that balance is off, these places will always end up closed in the near future.

I'm not even a nature nut. I just hate to see these places being wasted.

Amen!

Anothjer outdoor hobby/sport I have is shooting. It pains me to see how some people TRASH public and private land with garbage they leave behind after shooting.

If I am in a vehicle I can haul trash with (not usually, I'm afraid) I will try to clean up some. I will also usually pick up and use the brass I find, if it's in good shape and a caliber I use ;-)

katoranger
07-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Brass has a good scrap value too. Keep a bucket in the garage and take it in when full. I have one for brass and one for copper bits.