PDA

View Full Version : pulled out tensioner...now..uh oh

bsskibum
10-11-2013, 10:24 PM
so I heard some rattling chain noise internal on way home from school
I looked in the book and it said 1500 and 6000 miles to verify tensioner is still operable.
so i loosened the two bolts..
and out it popped....
looked ok..
wasnt really sure if it moves or is at a set amount "out"
it seemed ok...
so i put it back in...
started the bike and...
seemed like bike was struggling to start...
then at a idle seems like it is struggling..
not a gas struggle
but noise is gone...
HOw does it adjust?
here is a pic of it.... some reason its on its side)
http://www.chinariders.net/picture.php?albumid=73&pictureid=418

the two little side bolts hold it against cylinder..
the center bolt just screws in until it hits the housing..
has a little washer under it... is that the adjustment (the washer thickness?)
:crazy:

http://www.chinariders.net/picture.php?albumid=73&pictureid=419

SpudRider
10-11-2013, 10:53 PM
You put the tensioner back in at full extension, and it is holding the cam chain too tight, skibum.

You can verify the proper operation of the cam chain tensioner by reading the appropriate pages in the TW200 Service Manual Supplement, which is available for download in the Zong Sticky.

This is an automatic, cam chain tensioner. As soon as possible, remove the center bolt of the tensioner. Insert a small, flat blade screwdriver, and turn the internal mechanism clockwise. This will release the excess tension on the device. Then release the internal mechanism slowly, and the tensioner will extend to place the correct amount of pressure on the cam chain guide.

If the internal mechanism does not retract, and extend properly, you will need to buy a new unit from either Taobao, or Zongshen America. ;)

bsskibum
10-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Pulled the bolt..inserted screw driver..cloxkwise..realeased..then let it go back slowly..perfect directions spud!!
Back up and perfect!!!
I should have looked in the tw200 guide..damn!!

SpudRider
10-11-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm glad you got it fixed! :tup:

Weldangrind
10-13-2013, 09:28 PM
I wonder if the same procedure is true for the Honda clones; the original XR200 style is quite different from the China version.

SpudRider
10-13-2013, 09:41 PM
The automatic, cam chain tensioner in my 2004 Honda CRF250X works in the same manner as the one in my Zong. :)

Weldangrind
10-13-2013, 10:23 PM
That's good to know. Perhaps I'll check the tensioner on a few of my Honda clones.

Wild_Alaskan
10-13-2013, 10:59 PM
These are fairly universal between all brands, always good to check proper operation periodically!

SpudRider
10-13-2013, 11:09 PM
These are fairly universal between all brands, always good to check proper operation periodically!
Indeed, it doesn't take very long to verify they are operating properly. ;)

Weldangrind
11-24-2013, 12:33 PM
You put the tensioner back in at full extension, and it is holding the cam chain too tight, skibum.

You can verify the proper operation of the cam chain tensioner by reading the appropriate pages in the TW200 Service Manual Supplement, which is available for download in the Zong Sticky.

This is an automatic, cam chain tensioner. As soon as possible, remove the center bolt of the tensioner. Insert a small, flat blade screwdriver, and turn the internal mechanism clockwise. This will release the excess tension on the device. Then release the internal mechanism slowly, and the tensioner will extend to place the correct amount of pressure on the cam chain guide.

If the internal mechanism does not retract, and extend properly, you will need to buy a new unit from either Taobao, or Zongshen America. ;)

Spud, should this procedure be performed at TDC?

cheesy
11-24-2013, 01:53 PM

Spud?:hmm: I've asked a similar question on the CX500 forum and the answer I got was 'That's what the manual says'.

I do the CC adjustment on the Maggot with the left cylinder at TDC only because it is outlined that way in the Honda FSM and I'm doing valve adjustments at the same time.

In reality, all one is doing when adjusting the tension is taking up wear, aka slack, in the chain. As the adjusters are spring loaded and the guides and tensioners are basically leaf springs, it really shouldn't make a difference if the adjustment is done at TDC, BDC, or anywhere in between.

My two pennies.

SpudRider
11-24-2013, 04:00 PM

I agree with Cheesy. :) I periodically pull the automatic, cam chain tensioner, and test it for proper operation. I don't bother to set the piston at TDC; it doesn't make any difference. ;)

Weldangrind
11-25-2013, 12:30 AM
My guess is that it does make a difference, since anything other than TDC would have load applied to the cam gear that would result in tolerance stack-up. I'm not sure how much it would change things, but for the time it takes to set the engine to TDC, it's probably worth it.

SpudRider
11-25-2013, 01:33 AM
The cam chain on the side opposite the automatic, cam chain tensioner is always under tension. Therefore, the same amount of slack should always be present in the cam chain on the side near the automatic tensioner. Indeed, the TW200 Service Manual doesn't specify the piston needs to be at TDC when re-installing the automatic tensioner after verifying it is operating properly.

However, I agree with you. You certainly can't harm anything by taking the small amount of time required to move the piston to top-dead-center (TDC) on the compression stroke. :) Verifying TDC on the compression stroke is easy with the TW200, or any other bike with valve covers. However, the job takes a little more effort when engine doesn't have valve covers.