PDA

View Full Version : 250cc Cruiser 253FMM

oviking99
10-20-2013, 11:32 PM
I posted a bit about this bike in the UM Renegade ZS169FML thread, including a startup video.

I have found that the engine is the same as the Honda 253FMM CA250, installed in mainly the Honda 250cc Rebel. My original thought was to install the engine in the United Motors 200cc Renegade. As it turns out I may just hold on the Renegade. This bike is currently running, less the drive chain and rear sprocket. It runs pretty good. No color to the exhaust at all. It has about 2,200 miles on it as the odometer says. The engine is very smooth compared to a thumper, other than the Zong ZS167FML.
Weldandgrind and a few of my buddies all think it would make a nice bobber. I agree, with the exception I would most likely keep the rear shocks. My old butt ain't got much meat on it, so I'll forego rattlin' what teeth I have left.

oviking99
10-20-2013, 11:49 PM
Startup Video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD8uitbj8Os&feature=youtu.be

Weldangrind
10-21-2013, 05:41 PM
I recall that others on the forum have made the Honda Rebel connection, now that you mention it. Perhaps a search on the forum for Honda Rebel would provide some interesting reading.

I agree with keeping the rear shocks and making a Brat-style bike (instead of a rigid bobber), unless you engineer some suspension into a solo seat. The old-school coil sprung solo seats are awful, because they sway in turns. The best solution I've seen is a simple swingarm-style arrangement that uses a mountain bike shock and spring. That allows you to set the spring stiffness and keep the articulation on a linear plane. You could then have a totally rigid frame with no rear shocks.

oviking99
10-27-2013, 11:27 PM
last.