PDA

View Full Version : title and licensing issues......

jerryfaxman
01-13-2014, 02:30 PM
I purchased a used 2008 Hisun GY200 dual-sport which the previous owner never applied for title or license plates cause He drove it on private property. He supplied all the receipts and the "document of origin" at time of sale. I went to the DMV to get it titled and license plates for it. WHAT A DAMN NITEMARE this is turning out to be. The "document of origin" indicates it's for off-road although the motor cycle has signals,horn,and all the other lighting necessary to drive on street. I explained that the document is in error because nobody would buy a "off-road" motor cycle with horn,turn signals,headlight and taillight etc etc etc. They did sell Me license plates but indicated that the State may request them back and refuse to title it for street use. They indicated that in spite of all the equipment necessary to drive it on the street it may have never been "certified" by the D.O.T. and the National Highway and Safety Board for street use. My warning is before you buy for street use check out the licensing requirements and it meets them. Anyone else out there had similar issues? The bike is "cherry" with only 238 adult driven miles so this is a real heart breaker and a nightmare ready to unfold. May wind up driving it off-road only at My cabin...will keep ya posted...

FastDoc
01-13-2014, 02:36 PM
This is sometimes a real PIA.

My buddy Ron and I bought 2 identical HSUN's (same as yours) at the same time and brought our titles to the same DOL within a week or so of each other.

I got a plate right away no problem, he got denied as you did. He wound up going to another DOL (or two) before he got his plate.

On the other hand, you are lucky to have a cabin :-)

katoranger
01-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Go to the registration forum and check out the Vermont registration route.

Weldangrind
01-14-2014, 01:03 AM

X2. Click here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12368

katoranger
01-14-2014, 10:13 AM
You are not the first to have your plates recalled in Minnesota. Sunday I was at Burger King and a polaris ranger was parked outside with a tag on it. Welcome to Kansas.:tup:

SpudRider
01-16-2014, 08:52 PM

X2. Click here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12368

X3 on Vermont registration. ;) I wish you good luck dealing with the bureaucrats. It's always a pleasure to see your tax dollars at work. :ohno: