PDA

View Full Version : can't start the beast!

cactusmelba
02-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Hiya homies..

I've started stripping the bodywork from my POR apache 125 and been trying different tanks and bars on it, just to try to work out the direction I want to take.. I think I've settled on both, I'll take a picture , I'd be interested in what you guys think..

Anyways, I fitted (finally) a new throttle Cable too, but I just can't start her up... Fuel is getting through, there's a strong spark, battery is fully charged, what sort of troubleshooting can I do from here? It DID run about 6 months ago, but with no throttle cable the only way to rev was using the choke on the side of the carb..

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted and acted upon!

cactusmelba
02-14-2014, 04:41 PM
I tried with Ace bars for a dropped down cafe racer look, but I didn't think it suited very well..http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p748/eugenebreakwater/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-01/20140118_162421_zpsmf7xdgxu.jpg (http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/eugenebreakwater/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-01/20140118_162421_zpsmf7xdgxu.jpg.html)

But I FAR preferred the cowhorn bars, with the tiny Honda tank, for a street tracker look..
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p748/eugenebreakwater/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-01/IMG_20140118_170851_zps2pzgxfnb.jpg (http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/eugenebreakwater/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-01/IMG_20140118_170851_zps2pzgxfnb.jpg.html)

Any opinions?

Specially on how to coax her into life?!

Weldangrind
02-15-2014, 12:36 AM
I suspect that the slow jet is clogged. I recommend that you remove the carb, remove the jets and clean it thoroughly.

I'm diggin' the tank in the first pic. Perhaps you could try it with a set of drag bars.

cactusmelba
02-15-2014, 06:17 AM
Cheers w&g, I've had to care off to empty the fuel out to make sure furl is getting through and in case it was flooded, I'll take it off again and give it a good clean.. One of my customers suggested bumping it off, said that if it starts that way then the coil has gone..

Weldangrind
02-15-2014, 12:19 PM
Not following the logic. Are you saying that if it starts by bump-starting, the coil is the problem? I've never heard that one.

culcune
02-16-2014, 09:19 PM
From a fairly unknowledgeable standpoint, but strictly from my own experiences with my TMEC 200, I have figured out if it 'just about starts...' but won't turn over, I clean really well, or replace, the spark plug. Cheap and easy fix. Having replaced two clutch cables, I realized that one has to play around with where it is tightened to get just the 'spot.' Of course, a few times, gasoline might be sloshing around by sound, but the bike is technically empty and just needed a fill.

I would try those first, simply because they have worked for me, and are very, very easy...then I would get into the more meaty diagnoses such as taking the carb off. (Not to second guess you Weld, but simply based on my own experiences of what has worked for me; needed more fuel---in the tank (lol), spark plug, and clutch cable) before playing in the carb (haven't had to do that yet...) Oh, and check that the engine cut-off switch is not pushed, I almost forgot!

Weldangrind
02-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Not to second guess you Weld, but simply based on my own experiences of what has worked for me; needed more fuel---in the tank (lol), spark plug, and clutch cable) before playing in the carb (haven't had to do that yet...)

I don't think you're second guessing me; I was only asking a question. Good tips on changing the spark plug, checking the fuel level, etc.

cactusmelba
02-18-2014, 08:41 AM
HoHodeho guys,

Yes, it was a mechanic customer of mine that suggested that if it could be bumped off then the coil has gone. I don't even know what the coil DOES, so I can't follow his reasoning...

I'll try again with the fuel and spark, making sure carb is clean too, and hopefully report back positively!

Just one more question, which way is off for the engine kill switch? (I HAVE been trying it both ways but still it just turns over without catching...)

Weldangrind
02-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Not sure with your specific switch, but you can test it. Use a multimeter set to continuity, unplug the kill switch and insert the meter probes into the connector. When the meter shows continuity, that is the OFF position.

I know that defies logic, but you're actually connecting the CDI to ground when you switch the kill switch off. IOW, you're actually turning the switch on to kill the bike.

cactusmelba
02-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Weld and grind - you da man!

I've got a multimeter, just barely ever used it!

Thanks man...