PDA

View Full Version : 250cc tank/rtc250 custom build

tank
02-22-2014, 12:36 AM
Hi everyone, i dont know how to load pics so any info would help. My project started as a tank khaos 250. My plan was to rebuild it into a reliable daily rider but i happened to come across a rtc250 at a local tow yard i jumped on t fast. I realy want a rtc250 but they're not CA legal due to carb requirements so i decided to mix them together to get something totally different.
ENGINEFRAME: I competely dissasembled both bikes and decided to go with the tank khaos frame and engine. It uses the 253fmm(nighthawk clone). I ordered new intake manifolds,rebuilt both carbs and drilled the jets out just a bit.
EXHAUST: the stock exhaust was a dual setup with what looks like catalytic convertor material in the pipes just before the mufflers, so my plans are to take the bike to a buddys muffler shop so he can make me some 2 into 1 headers with a carbon shorty high mount can.
SUSPENSION: I used the rtc250 rear swingarm since it has a tubular brace and is set up for a disc brake instead of the drum. For the front. suspension i also used the entire front fork assembly from the rtc250. This front end comes with dual piston calipers and bigger rotors. It also uses low clipon bars instead of the risers the tank has.
WHEELS: The tank comes with a stock 16" front wheel,and a 15" rear wheel. I used the rtc wheels because they are 17" front and rear, with tubeless tires so it opens the door for some sticky rubber! :tup:
BODY: Im using the rtc tank and tail section so far(some welding required) >:(but the headlight fairing was badly cracked so i might order a new piece, or use the tank
Full front fairing with a custom taller windscreen.
CUSTOM PARTS: I jumped on ebay and started getting the cool parts i wanted like gold billet pazzo style levers, gold billet/rubber grips and bar ends, gold bolts for the fairings, led arrow blinkers,led tail lights, led gauge light, race graphics sticker kit, reflective wheel tape.
Theres plenty more to come, thanks for reading:thanks: PICS WILL BE COMING SOON

katoranger
02-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Here is a link to picture posting.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=8377

The forum does allow you to upload directly too.

Click the go advanced button below and then click on the paperclip icon. New window should open and then "choose file" click upload. May take awhile to upload. After upload close that window and finish your reply. Pics should be attached.

tank
03-04-2014, 02:45 AM
OK, so things are going a little different than planned with the build.. I've decided to turn it into a streetfightered version instead of using the ffull fairings, and because my wife doesn't like sitting on the separate seat the rtc250 tail piece uses I went with the tank tail and one piece seat instead.:doh:
I still swapped the swingarm, wheels, disc brakes, and front forks from the rtc250. After "THINKING" I had finally completed the project we took it for the first ride. The first thing I noticed was how soft and low the suspension was. So I picked up another shock that's around 3" longer has more travel, and adjustable preload. I will be making a new upper shock mount because the stock one is too low it puts the swing arm and lower linkage at a bad angle.:ohno:
DISCLAIMER: IM NOT PROMOTING THIS BE DONE TO YOUR BIKE IF YOU TRY IT ITS ON YOU!!. I did lots of research before first attempting this mod so its NOT something you just try.!!!I if anyone else trys it its AT YOUR OWN RISK.....The front fork springs are soft also so I'll be using an old ninja 500 track bike mod that I've used before. It includes removing and cutting the springs by around 4" at the tops and using a spacer (pipe same dia as the spring with a washer above and below spacer) and changing the fork oil to a slightly thicker 10w40 motor oil. This mod has given my previous ninjas a huge boost in rideability when riding two up without being too harsh.