PDA

View Full Version : UM200 Renegade 2003 Parts question

jimmyjoejames
02-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Hello everyone. New to the forum here and I'm writing in regards of a moment of desperation. Long story short I was able to purchase a 2003 UM 200 Renegade for $350 because I am very short on money I don't have the money to buy a new motorcycle and I'm currently spending over $300 on gas a month which is half my paycheck. The motorcycle needs a new harness (main cables wiring) and a new rectifier. The rest is working beautifully, but the only dealer I have here in Puerto Rico only sells parts for 2006 and later and they say they don't deal with those parts. I asked if they would fit a 2003 the answer is that they don't know. I ask if anybody has enough experience with these Renegades to tell me if I could buy a 2006 harness and rectifier for a 2006 model and would it work on my 2003 Renegade? I would really appreciate all the help!

katoranger
02-25-2014, 08:12 PM
The chances are pretty good that it is the same harness. The rectifier is probably a common Chinese part.

jimmyjoejames
02-25-2014, 10:16 PM
thanks! I really appreciate it! I'll call the shop tomorrow and order the parts and cross my fingers!!!

katoranger
02-26-2014, 09:29 AM
Wish I could help more, but I don't know that bike. I googled the pictures and the two years look the same to me.

Weldangrind
02-26-2014, 10:25 AM
The harnesses are likely to be quite similar, but can the original harness be repaired? Perhaps a little time with a soldering iron will have it in good order.

SpudRider
02-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Welcome! Please keep us updated. :)

jimmyjoejames
03-02-2014, 02:22 AM
The harnesses are likely to be quite similar, but can the original harness be repaired? Perhaps a little time with a soldering iron will have it in good order.

So far it's a wiring nightmare, the last owner made a real mess bunch of cut wires and electrical tape everywhere. Fortunately I found that a website called moxie scooters had the wiring and was able to ship it to Puerto Rico. Now it's all about waiting and crossing my fingers! Thanks for the support everyone I'll keep you posted!!!

jimmyjoejames
03-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Ok so I can't thank you guy enough! Sorry for the late reply I have been working day and night on restoring this renegade. Got the parts and got the electrical system working. Though the battery is bad Im gonna have to buy a new one. The motorcycle turns on without battery and riding it feels nice though the engine sounds a little lazy don't know how to describe it. One of my friends says the carburetor needs adjustment. When you go at higher speeds theres no problem though. However at one point my friend accidentally put the positive and negative wires in reverse for the old battery and shorted the system out and the voltage output is now lower. I have no battery to test anything because the original battery was bad to being with. However are dim lights normal without a battery, because my friend says it isn't. He says the voltage regulator and the stator are most likely bad because all the lights are dim. if we try with a power supply straight to the battery terminals everything lights up well the moment we remove it, the lights dim out, but he says that the issue isn't that it doesn't have a battery it's that voltage regulator and the stator. I'm ordering a new voltage regulator/rectified (again) and a stator tonight. in the mean time here are some pics of the restoration. I even got a little time to do a little re chroming and paint and restore the cracked plastics and fenders! Really happy how its coming along here's the pics! I hope I'll be done with the complete restore soon and upload some more pics! :thanks:

katoranger
03-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Looks good. The lights dimming may just be the bad battery. Do they brighten up if you rev up the engine?

jimmyjoejames
03-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Looks good. The lights dimming may just be the bad battery. Do they brighten up if you rev up the engine?

They do brighten up but barely. Right now they're so dim they barely light up anything. But this is all without the battery installed. No one has the battery locally so I ordered via ebay and I'll be waiting for it and see. How would I eliminate the stator or the rectifier/voltage regulator to know if they're good or bad? Multimeter checking the voltage while its on?

SpudRider
03-17-2014, 12:02 AM
Your'e making good progress! The front fender looks great. :tup:

jimmyjoejames
03-17-2014, 02:57 AM
Your'e making good progress! The front fender looks great. :tup:

Thanks! It's been a pain since this is my first motorcycle, no youtube videos on this particular model and it's been hard to find manuals, parts etc. But so far zero mechanical issues, just electrical which is my specialty! Also here's the chrome I've restored so far it was very rusted all over I didn't think I could bring it back to life! Plastic were cracked almost in half with holes all over but nothing a little bit of bondo couldn't fix! Hopefully it's just the battery and I'm good to go. Also fixing the starter might be nice but I'm so used to kick starting it by now that it can wait until I get the money...

Weldangrind
03-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Your bike is really looking sharp.

IMHO, the electrical system is marginal in our bikes, and it is quite reliant upon a strong battery. I would say don't worry about the dimming lights until you can test with a strong battery, and evaluate from there.

I would not run the bike without a battery.

jimmyjoejames
03-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Your bike is really looking sharp.

IMHO, the electrical system is marginal in our bikes, and it is quite reliant upon a strong battery. I would say don't worry about the dimming lights until you can test with a strong battery, and evaluate from there.

I would not run the bike without a battery.

Thanks I'll wait until the battery gets here! Right now I'll just wait for the battery and see what goes on from there! I'll keep you guys posted!

jimmyjoejames
03-23-2014, 11:35 PM
Thank you so much for everything once again!!! Everything is working beautifully. The only thing left is the starter. The starter motor spins up and works, the only problem is a very nasty grinding sound which I'm guessing must be one of the starting gears or something cuz the starter engine is working perfectly. The battery even got some things working that I gave up on! Anyway here it is almost done!! At least I can kickstart it and its drivable and rides like a dream!!!

SpudRider
03-24-2014, 12:07 AM
Good for you. :tup:

jimmyjoejames
06-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Guys once again I would like to thank everyone in this forum my little chinese bike is running strong and performing so well! Everything is running like almost brand new! It has taken new life! You guys are the best everyone that posted I thanks! here's what I've done so far! Maybe later on I'll upgrade the engine or something suggestions on what to do are welcome! Here's some new updated pics! Changed the damaged fuel gauge for a digital one, new handle bars, grips gauges, reupholstered the seats myself and new led lights plus a little paint! 1169

SpudRider
06-29-2014, 11:59 AM
You did a very nice job. :)

Weldangrind
07-02-2014, 01:31 AM
Nice work! My only recommendation is that you get out and enjoy it.

jimmyjoejames
07-05-2014, 09:33 AM

Thanks! I have! Driving it has been a beauty! I'm currently spending just $14 of gas a month and I use it almost everyday to get to work and back. It's very comfortable and since speed is not an issue for me it moves perfectly for me! I rarely get it over 55 mph which is basically the speed limit anywhere you go anyway. My question is if anybody has suggestions on the front wheel. The streets here are horrible and there are times where I really don't see nasty pot hole and I have to adjust the spokes of the front tire every two days. I've been thinking of changing the front wheel and rims. Does anybody have a recommendation of size and spoke vs. a solid rim etc.? Any suggestions would be welcome! While I'm at it I might as well put something nice on it! Any ideas?:D

allthegoodthings
01-06-2015, 12:44 PM
I recently got a motorcycle of that same brand, and am also from puerto rico, aparently they all seem to have the same problem because mine will not start with the electric starter. It has a gear behind the generator that aparently breaks easily, you may want to check it out:)