PDA

View Full Version : Lifan 250 carb

chrisrook
03-25-2014, 04:55 PM
So, I just joined the forums after lurking for a day or 2. I have wanted a bike for a long time now, and there is a local man selling a 2005 Lifan 250 cruiser with only 2k miles on it, but no battery, bad carb, and my title. Now, I can't find a carb online, and I have never rebuilt a carb, but there are quite a few videos online of Honda GY6 clone carb rebuilds, and I was just wondering if it was the same for the Lifan carb. Oh, and the main reason I am looking at the cruiser with those issues, only $400 OBO, and I have read that the motor will out last the rest of the bike.

Weldangrind
03-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Welcome!

With no battery and a bad carb (so the seller says), I wouldn't pay $400 for that bike. The truth is, if it won't start, you don't know if it's an electrical or fuel problem, and it could be simple or complex to fix. As well, you can't even ride it and confirm that it shifts properly and doesn't pop out of gear.

All of these things are fixable, and it would probably be a (relatively) inexpensive education. If you want it just for the experience of getting it in running condition, I have to say I can identify with that. I'd just hammer him on the price. My thinking is that we should strive for around $100 for any non-running China bike. Perhaps you and the seller can meet in the middle somewhere.

I'd need to see the carb before I can recommend a replacement, but there are several good models out there for cheap. As well, there is plenty of knowledge on this forum, and many good people who are willing to share it.

chrisrook
03-25-2014, 10:52 PM
Well, I was gonna start the negotiating at $200, so it's good to know that it should be worth less than that. I have done my fair share of mechanical work, even took auto tech in school (both high and community college) but I have never rebuilt a carb, they always focused on EFI cause that is what is common now a days. And it's good to know that there is actually a replacement for it, so if I can't rebuild it, I can replace it. But yeah, want it for the experience to rebuild, and to have something to ride local.

humanbeing
03-25-2014, 11:40 PM
Vigaro clone?

chrisrook
03-25-2014, 11:50 PM
Yeah, Virago clone with the speedo on the handlebars instead of the tank. it's an '05.

Weldangrind
03-26-2014, 12:39 AM
You'll be pleasantly surprised at how simple carbs are, particularly non-CV slider carbs.