PDA

View Full Version : Razor clone 170 with 300cc motor

Razzar
05-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Just thought i would update this idea i threw out awhile ago since a few people showed some interest.

I have gone ahead and threw in a 300cc honda atv engine in my sons 170 clone. it is complete and was test drove last weekend for an hour at a local sand pit. Everything went well.i am heading out today for a camping trip for 5 days and it will go through all the paces.I will start a better post with pics and results when i get back. What i can say from the limited test dive is that it is a wild and fun machine to drive now

Weldangrind
05-15-2014, 10:36 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Razzar
05-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Well i just got back and everything went very good.Had no issues with it except i had to tighten the chain once.

First i must say these buggies should come stock with an engine around this size. The difference is night and day. There was not anywhere this could not go because of power. There was a couple of very steep hills that it would get half way up and just spin the tires but there wasn't any 2 wheel drive atv's making it up there either.Also i never once had to use first gear for anything

So i will list the mods i have done and the mods still pending.

Completed Mods:
-Extended seating area another 6 inches
-Extended roll bar
-Rebuilt rear engine cradle
-Rebuilt rear swing arm
-Mounted 1999 trx300 four-track engine(5 speed no clutch) side ways mounted
-Modified shifting lever
-Modified engine shaft to run a sprocket 11 tooth
-Ran an air intake fan for engine cooling
-Modified side panels on body
-Made custom nerf bars
-Made custom front bumper

Mods in progress:
-Dual a arm front suspension
-Tach/speedometer
-Fuel sensor gauge
-2000lb winch
-Gear shifter indicator
-24 inch tires

I have the dual arms off a honda atv and will be installing them next. You will notice in the pictures it is sitting at an angle facing forwards once the dual a arms are installed it will sit level and be close to 9 inches of clearance under the body.

Here are some pics

Weldangrind
05-21-2014, 01:25 AM
That looks really cool! Was there a CVT motor in there originally? How did you connect the countershaft to the rear axle?

david3921
05-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Great job on the conversion. I don't get how something that big comes with only a 170 engine. Also, I want to know about that PVC intake manifold.

Razzar
05-22-2014, 09:50 AM
There is no countershaft, the motor is a shaft motor so i took the y joint and cut it so i basically had a fitted sleeve to go on the shaft. I had one face machined so it was perfectly flat and just welded on a 11 tooth sprocket.I notched the splines on the shaft in a couple spots and ran to set screws into those notches to keep the sprocket on the shaft

The intake manifold is stock with the 300 motor. i just drilled a small hole to fit the vacum line for the gas pump to run off of.I used a 90 degree elbow from some plastic pipe i had left over from my central house vacum and added the original air box from the 150cc stock motor.The connection to the carb i used a rubber pipe to pipe joint that was the same size as the carb mouth,it has two clamps on each end and is used to join a plastic pipe to a metal pipe. You can find them at the plumbing shop.The original airbox has a big enough opening that the pipe fits perfectly into .

Weldangrind
05-22-2014, 11:20 AM
It sounds like you used a Fernco or MJ coupling for the carb connection. That's genius.