PDA

View Full Version : Engine starts with kick but the starter

Jungo
07-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Guys this is driving me crazy. >:( I replaced Bertha's old engine with a brand new 125cc. At the time of the first start up there was no battery so I used the kick start to crank up. The engine works beautiful and rode about 1 mile just to test. Yesterday I bought a new battery (a little bigger) and installed it.

The engine cranks nice but not start. After several tries, I decided to use the kick start and Viola!, the motor starts up. :hmm: Since this is my daughter's bike, I want the starter system in working order because she can't use the kick.

After various measurements I found that there's no voltage coming to the input of the coil at the moment of crank up with the starter. If I use the kick then I got voltage at the input of the coil.

I think that if the CDI is not working, it will not start even with the kick. Anyways I replaced the CDI with same results (start up with kick but not start using the starter).

Any help will be appreciate.

Weldangrind
07-21-2014, 01:38 AM
That sounds like the very symptom I had with our first China quad. The kill switch at the left handgrip was based on a street bike turn signal switch. In the original design, you would slide the switch either right or left to activate the signal, it would self-center and then you would press the switch in to deactivate.

In the kill switch configuration, you slide the switch left or right to kill the motor, it will self-center and then you must press it in once to be able to start the engine again. Goofy, but effective. Does that sound like your kill switch?

FLASHLIGHTBOY
07-21-2014, 10:41 AM
I would think with a 12 volt electric start you need a DC cdi... for kick starting it you have a AC cdi... I did not notice if you said you had a 12 volt electric start before and if you used the same 12 volt cdi ??? the kill switch WELD mentions I think would kill the kick start as well... try killing the motor with the kill switch as he mentions.

pete
07-24-2014, 05:27 AM
Starter motors taking all the power leaveing nothing for the ignition..
was quite common prob on the older cars when the balist coil
got old... 'not ignition coil"