PDA

View Full Version : Almost died last week!

Wild_Alaskan
12-04-2014, 12:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac3NJmz0Poo&list=PLE374EFFD42034754

Weldangrind
12-04-2014, 12:25 AM
Good Heavens! I'm glad you're ok, Sheridan.

Dave_D
12-04-2014, 03:07 PM
This video poped up on my Facebook not long ago
Pretty crazy

SpudRider
12-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Egads! I am very glad you escaped injury!

culcune
12-06-2014, 07:34 AM
There are many mineshafts around Yuma (as well as unexploded ordinance) that they start warning us via public service announcements in the fall (about the time of year we can finally get out and ride).

Two snowbirds got lucky a few years ago driving a Suzuki Samarai into one out in the desert, since they were not too hurt and were able to be found and rescued:

http://www.msha.gov/SOSA/Nearmisses/2006/20060312AZ.asp

This one looked pretty deep Wild_Alaskan, and would have had far more serious results. As someone commented on your video, I, too, tried to look over deeper into the mine since it felt like 'I was there' thanks to your high-quality video :)

Wild_Alaskan
12-06-2014, 09:24 PM
interesting story calcune, the tailing piles, which is what Im guessing I drove up, do make them quite a surprise! I would estimate the the shaft to be about 40ft trying to factor in that it looks much deeper when you stand on the edge!

culcune
12-07-2014, 10:57 AM
I think the results for you would have been much different, like these guys, if you were on a quad. In your video, the snow was obviously keeping you from riding faster, which allowed you to catch yourself going up the small incline (if it was a mine--those were probably the pilings like in the story link) before falling in. On a quad, you would have probably had better traction, and going much faster, which would have made it more difficult to stop!!

Someone chimed in the comments that it could have been a sinkhole, which might be the case; however, why was there a little incline you rode up since I would figure a sinkhole would be downward and probably more obvious.

Either way, glad to see we weren't watching a video of you free-falling!!!!