PDA

View Full Version : Skyteam throttle

Au_rider
01-16-2015, 04:54 AM
I've had my Skyteam for just a few days and thought I'd get to pulling it apart a little.
I've basic knowledge but bikes are a whole new field for me so bear with me.

I noticed the throttle cable was frayed so I set to stripping this out to investigate. It's actually not moving freely throughout the sleeve so I'll need a new one but I can't find anything that looks like the one I have.

It has a splitter under the tanks with one cable going into the top of the carb, the other into the throttle control on the side of the carb. I thought the one going into the top might be some kind of choke control but there's a manual choke lever on the other side of the carb. Can anyone advise what's going on?

Also, where can I buy a new throttle cable assembly as every one I see listed for my bike is a single cable.

The bike is a 250 V-Retro (V-Raptor outside Australia it seems)

Many thanks in advance

Weldangrind
01-16-2015, 01:50 PM
The carb might be a Keihin clone with a pumper device for cold starts, like the old Honda XL250S. Perhaps some of the V-Raptor crowd here can chime in.

migu
01-16-2015, 03:30 PM
it´s an acceleration pump for Cold-Starts. If you mount an original Keihin or Mikuni it will work perfectly without the acceleration pump once its set up correctly
i would write an email to http://www.skyteam.com.au/ and ask for a parts dealer in Australia.

Au_rider
01-31-2015, 11:15 PM
So, just thought I'd give an update in case it helps others.
I managed to find a dealer not far from me, they had a cable in stock and were pretty helpful;
http://ikonikmoto.com.au

Cable changed but now it idles really high. With the choke closed it revs high on idle and the idle screw has no effect. Twisting the throttle seems to make it flood - the revs drop off and it struggles for power.

Unless someone has an easy fix or can advise on a course of action for diagnosis at this stage I think it's probably beyond my abilities to resolve so I'll be taking it to an expert later this week.

Thanks for the help folks

Adjuster
01-31-2015, 11:57 PM
Do you have the air cleaner/filter installed? It must be installed for the carb to work properly. Make sure the little metal ferrule on the end of the throttle cable where it slides inside the rubber boot is properly in place. If not it will make your cable too short giving you a high idle.

/

Weldangrind
02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
A slider that is in backwards will produce similar symptoms as well. There should be a long groove in the slider, and it lines up with a pin (or pins) on the left side of the cylinder that the slider drops into.

The right side of the slider has a small ramp that lines up with the idle screw.

thillskier
02-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Anyone know where to purchase a Skyteam Honda retro clone (Ace 125?) in US? Thx!