PDA

View Full Version : 2007 110 Tao-Tao

dj1705
06-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Happy Monday Friends,

Came across the Forum while looking to see if anyone has had similar issues with their Tao-Tao as I have recently ran into with mine (actually my sons).

1. The crank case runs much hotter than it should. Hot enough to burn the sides of my sons boots (see pics). Oil looks and smells good. Anyone ever had a similar experience? Any ideas as to what may be causing the heat build up?

2. While ridding yesterday (about 30/45 minutes) I noticed the little atv smoking. Not from the exhaust but from the intake (fingers crossed it's not the rings). The machine wasn't used hard, more of a putt around the property with me walking beside him. Any ideas or similar related issue with anyone here on the Forum?

I purchased this little atv secondhand a few months back. It's a 2007 and naturally it did not come with an owners manual. Based off of previous threads sounds to me that a owners manual is pretty much useless anyway. I would however like to know recommend octane, oil weight, etc. Thank you all for taking the time to read. Hopefully there's a member or two that have come across these issue in the past and can offer some insight.

Thanks,
Dave in Colorado

dj1705
06-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Thinking the matter over a little more it's occurred to me that the issue may be as simple as not getting enough air moving over the engine (duh!). Sound reasonable? Are these little ATV's prone to overheating if a young rider such as mine putts along at a snails pace with several stops to look at grass hoppers, flowers, and ant hills?

Adjuster
06-08-2015, 03:52 PM
I am guessing that is exactly your overheating issue.

/

Weldangrind
06-09-2015, 01:56 AM
That's probably it, but you can combat it a little.

I'd switch to 20W50 in hot weather, and try mid-grade or even super unleaded. It will be a little harder to start, but it might stay a little cooler.

Otherwise, a lean mixture will cause heat. Have you pulled the plug? What colour is it?

dj1705
06-09-2015, 09:00 AM
Pulled the plug last night after work and see that some carbon build up has occurred. Also noticed that there is a yellow tint (sort of film/glazing from oil) on top of the crank case just bellow the intake filter which leads me to believe that this has been occurring for awhile. Initially I thought I had this pinned down with the slow rides and frequent stop but now I'm not so sure. When the smoke is coming out of the filter it almost looks like steam coming out or very similar too if that helps with mental pictures. Any ideas? Thanks for the info on the fuel and oil Weldangrind.

Weldangrind
06-09-2015, 10:51 AM
You're welcome.

Right below the carb is a vent that should have a hose on it. The hose simply routes behind the engine and points at the ground. Do you have a hose like that? Is it clogged? Pics would help us.

dj1705
06-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Hose in there and appears to be clear (I pulled it and blew through it). Pulled the air filter too and saw a little grease on the inter portion of the robber boot.The picture quality is pour however to the right of the starter on top of the crank case is the yellowing I was referring too. Not sure where it's coming from.

Adjuster
06-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Hey hey you have the Honda clone monkey engine. I have the same engine 125cc. Is yours manual, semi or auto? Mine is full auto.

/

Adjuster
06-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Here is a good link for you.

http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/70_90_110_HORIZONTAL.html

/

Adjuster
06-10-2015, 05:20 PM
You can find the service manual for that engine here.

http://www.carlsalter.com/honda-service-manuals.asp

/

Adjuster
06-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Hundreds if not thousands of YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=honda+110cc+motor+engine

/

Adjuster
06-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Keep in mind the 49cc, 70cc, 110cc and 125cc are all the same engines and work exactly the same way just bigger pistons and/or longer stroke.

/

dj1705
06-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Thank you so much for the links Adjuster! It's an automatic. Honestly, the more I read up and research on these little ATV's from China the happy I am with my purchase. Yes, they do have their quirks and may not have the best quality standards often found with higher end or brand name models, but replacement parts are easy to find and quite reasonable in price with free shipping.