PDA

View Full Version : Center Stand Install

woodlandsprite
06-13-2015, 12:56 AM
So, I know to squeeze coins into the spring to expand it to install....

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/348/18730416646_ffea250748_z.jpg

Is it as simple as position the stand, send the pin through, secure the ends of the pin using the little C rings (upper left - speaking of which, is there a trick to getting these on?) then bolt on the tab (look under the bike for the corresponding hole in the frame), then mount the spring?

SpudRider
06-13-2015, 03:40 AM
Yes, I would install the center stand exactly as you describe. :)

I would use a pair of pliers to coax the circlip onto the end of the mounting pin. If necessary, you can use two pairs of pliers to grip, and spread the wings of the circlip. Widening the wings of the circlip might ease the installation. ;)

JTHSPACE
06-13-2015, 07:53 AM
Where possible (spring fitting), wear a pair of gardening gloves or similar, I have had these things try and bite me more than once :)

Weldangrind
06-13-2015, 11:02 AM
I recommend Loctite 242 when bolting the tab on.

Please show us pics of the completed installation.

SpudRider
06-13-2015, 01:20 PM
X2 on the gloves, loctite, and request for photos. :)

fishman10
06-13-2015, 06:27 PM
heres mine,,,,,,,http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad328/fishman10/IMG_0668.jpg (http://s948.photobucket.com/user/fishman10/media/IMG_0668.jpg.html)

humanbeing
06-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Where possible (spring fitting), wear a pair of gardening gloves or similar, I have had these things try and bite me more than once :)
the Tool ? http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=106510&extra=&originator=yes&authorid=75082

woodlandsprite
06-13-2015, 06:46 PM
I wish I could show you all a photo of the installed stand....
I ran into a small problem:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/458/18755120446_d01735d363_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/uzjTTC)

After trying to get it positioned and much cussing, I gave up and got my micrometer...

uh...anyone have a grinder I can borrow? I do have a flat file, I could probably take a hair off either side of the center bit of the center stand to make it fit...but there is no way it's going in there the way it is now.

SpudRider
06-14-2015, 12:24 AM
I fear you will be filing a long time. :ohno: I would either trim the center stand with an angle grinder, or have CSC send me a center stand which fits. ;)

SpudRider
06-14-2015, 12:26 AM
heres mine...

It looks good, Fish. :) How do you like the center stand?

woodlandsprite
06-14-2015, 12:34 AM
or have CSC send me a center stand which fits. ;)

That photo was dispatched to CSC before I posted it here :) I called and left them a voicemail before I was clever enough to get the calipers.

fishman10
06-14-2015, 08:39 AM
spud,, while it does make lub ing the chain an adjusting the rear shock easier (btw the rear shock is abysmal ). It's only good for street use, as you can see it hangs down very low

JTHSPACE
06-14-2015, 11:22 AM
the Tool ? http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=106510&extra=&originator=yes&authorid=75082

That looks a useful homemade tool, one of those that someone makes and it is used one or twice in a lifetime, but is worth its weight in gold.

AZRider
06-14-2015, 11:43 AM
uh...anyone have a grinder I can borrow? I do have a flat file, I could probably take a hair off either side of the center bit of the center stand to make it fit...but there is no way it's going in there the way it is now.

I have a grinder and if you're within a reasonable distance of Phoenix, I've been known to travel for a good cup of tea. Must be the Brit in me.

Weldangrind
06-14-2015, 12:08 PM
I wish I could show you all a photo of the installed stand....
I ran into a small problem:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/458/18755120446_d01735d363_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/uzjTTC)

After trying to get it positioned and much cussing, I gave up and got my micrometer...

That's less than 0.5mm difference. I bet a few love taps with a hammer would widen the mount enough so that the stand slips right in.

SpudRider
06-14-2015, 12:21 PM
Anyone with a grinding wheel, such as a machinist, could quickly grind down both ends of the tube to the desired width. ;) I doubt he would charge much, if anything, for such a quick fix.

MICRider
06-14-2015, 12:58 PM
spud,, while it does make lub ing the chain an adjusting the rear shock easier (btw the rear shock is abysmal ). It's only good for street use, as you can see it hangs down very low
That does hang down low, is there any way to bring it up more?

woodlandsprite
06-14-2015, 03:19 PM

Fish, Do you intend to remove it when riding off road/on dirt?
I bought it to make maintenance easier since we haven't got bike stands and have limited storage space (and weld, I did have a good look at the yard, but there really isn't space for a shed :P)

woodlandsprite
06-14-2015, 03:23 PM
I have a grinder and if you're within a reasonable distance of Phoenix, I've been known to travel for a good cup of tea. Must be the Brit in me.

George, I might take you up on that - let me see what CSC responds with. I would be happy to drive the part to your place for grinding along with a box/tin of whatever tea you like :) Or you can leave it up to me and I will select some fancy tea - but you'd have to let me know if you have a thing for certain types of tea. My husband does not understand why I need so many different types of tea in the cupboard.

fishman10
06-14-2015, 07:13 PM
no i dont foresee removing it, unless i can figure out how to make the suspension more offroad capable,,,,i will limit this bike to gravel roads in the state forests of pennsyvania.

AZRider
06-14-2015, 10:58 PM
George, I might take you up on that - let me see what CSC responds with. I would be happy to drive the part to your place for grinding along with a box/tin of whatever tea you like :) Or you can leave it up to me and I will select some fancy tea - but you'd have to let me know if you have a thing for certain types of tea. My husband does not understand why I need so many different types of tea in the cupboard.

If you do, I can also bring the shock spanner. No extra tea charge.

jimjr21
06-15-2015, 11:00 AM
I had the same clearance issue on 3 of the bikes I assembled.

The frame tabs are designed to be cut off at the factory after assembly of the motorcycle. They used to build the bike. CSC is using them to attach the centerstand. Factory tolerance is not an issue as is a one use tabs.

Fix was to tap the tabs to more space with a dead blow hammer. They move fairly easily.

woodlandsprite
06-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Hmm. Tap the tabs or grind the stand...seems like those are my two options.
CSC suggested grinding - specifically, they think filing the end should be sufficient. I guess I can give that a try since I have the files on hand.

SpudRider
06-15-2015, 02:30 PM
I don't know the thickness of the metal tube, but filing will definitely work. ;) Using a grinding wheel or angle grinder is merely much faster. :)

jimjr21
06-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Yours is less than .5mm.
Hammer is quick and easy. I had one over 1.0mm. It took stand grinding.

SpudRider
06-15-2015, 02:56 PM
I suggest you also measure the clearance at the top. Indeed, if only the bottom is tight, nothing is quicker and easier than using a hammer. ;)

woodlandsprite
06-15-2015, 11:09 PM
Will do Spud, but likely not until the weekend, and only if I manage to wake up early enough - they've gone and posted a heat advisory and now I understand why people put air conditioning in their garages. At this rate, I'm not going to get a chance to try to install my barkbusters (arriving sometime this week I think) without melting into a puddle next to the bike :P

Honestly not sure how hard one would have to tap the brackets with a hammer to move them - they are in such an awkward location I would think it would be difficult to get a decent swing in!

SpudRider
06-15-2015, 11:59 PM
Each side only needs to move a fraction of a millimeter. Also, you can hit the brackets with either a round, or a square punch. ;)

woodlandsprite
06-16-2015, 12:04 AM
Also, you can hit the brackets with either a round, or a square punch. ;)
Are you sure you don't work for Harbor Freight? ;) I see you really want me to add the punch and chisel set to my tool box :D You are cracking me up with your subtle hints ;)

SpudRider
06-16-2015, 12:34 AM
Are you sure you don't work for Harbor Freight? ;) I see you really want me to add the punch and chisel set to my tool box :D You are cracking me up with your subtle hints ;)

:lmao:

No, I don't work for Harbor Freight, but I do love Harbor Freight. :tup:

P.S. That really is a nice punch and chisel set. :D

:hehe:

AZRider
06-16-2015, 01:39 AM
Will do Spud, but likely not until the weekend, and only if I manage to wake up early enough - they've gone and posted a heat advisory and now I understand why people put air conditioning in their garages. At this rate, I'm not going to get a chance to try to install my barkbusters (arriving sometime this week I think) without melting into a puddle next to the bike :P

Honestly not sure how hard one would have to tap the brackets with a hammer to move them - they are in such an awkward location I would think it would be difficult to get a decent swing in!

You may find it easier to put a car scissor jack or better yet, a hydraulic jack between the lugs and open them up. More control than swinging a hammer.

rjmorel
06-16-2015, 01:41 AM
The econobob way to make it easier to get RX3 up on center stand and a way to keep rear tire up off ground while cleaning and oiling chain. Put spacer board under rear tire and it lessons the effort needed to get it up on center stand as you don't have to lift it as far up cause the board already lifted R tire up 1-1/2". Use it lengthwise to prop up the swing arm to do chain maintenance or removing R tire. Used this on my recent 1000 mile trip at Hell's Canyon ADV Rally. I had made it for my Honda NX250 years ago and it works good on the Zong, RJ

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg186/rjmorel_bucket/IMG_0036_zpsrhr657nk.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/rjmorel_bucket/media/IMG_0036_zpsrhr657nk.jpg.html)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg186/rjmorel_bucket/IMG_0037_zpslsg9zevi.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/rjmorel_bucket/media/IMG_0037_zpslsg9zevi.jpg.html)

JTHSPACE
06-16-2015, 08:46 AM
What a neat invention! You can also use it under the side stand to either keep the bike a little more upright (checking oil window if you have one) or to stop the side stand sinking into soft ground. You should patent it and get it into production.

Huck369
06-16-2015, 09:32 AM

A cheap Box fan will do wonders for you while working in your garage....

Weldangrind
06-16-2015, 10:34 AM
You may find it easier to put a car scissor jack or better yet, a hydraulic jack between the lugs and open them up. More control than swinging a hammer.

It may be a little crude, but Vise Grips locked onto the tab will allow you to bend the tabs in or out as necessary. You can always lock the Vise Grips over a cloth if you're worried about the paint.

Weldangrind
06-16-2015, 10:37 AM
I had made it for my Honda NX250 years ago and it works good on the Zong, RJ

RJ, do you still have your NX? If so, I'd love to see it. If you have pics, please start a new thread.

woodlandsprite
06-16-2015, 11:35 AM
A cheap Box fan will do wonders for you while working in your garage....

:) Oh I brought a fan into the garage last weekend - it helped some :) Now I also know why I see photos of people's bikes inside their houses ;)

woodlandsprite
06-16-2015, 11:40 AM
RJ - what a great idea :) Will have to see if I can't find some wood scraps to make one of my own!

Weld & George: Thanks for the ideas - probably won't get a chance to work on the bike again until this weekend...I definitely have a scissor jack that might fit in that gap - and worst case, I go after the stand with a file...

rjmorel
06-16-2015, 11:51 AM
RJ, do you still have your NX? If so, I'd love to see it. If you have pics, please start a new thread.
Weld, no I don't have the NX any more. Great little bike. I think the RX3 is kinda a updated version of the NX. It was a 1988 i think and parts were getting harder to find and left me stranded a few times with the CDI acting up.

JTHSPACE, I'd patent it but since it's so easy to make, nah, I'll let you guys design and create a better one. It did come in handy fixing a rear flat this past week out in the boonies though. rj

SpudRider
06-16-2015, 01:14 PM
RJ, that's a great tip for making it easier to loft the bike on the center stand. :) In a pinch, one could also roll the rear tire onto a flat rock. ;)

woodlandsprite
06-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Update time :)
I took a file after the stand....it took a while, but I eventually got it to fit.
getting the circlips on was a right pain in the posterior, but I managed eventually.

I forgot the loctite, but that screw took quite a bit to get on, as it had to cut its own threads into the hole in the frame...

Getting the spring on proved more challenging than anticipated - it's quite beefy and did not want to readily accept coinage....I eventually resorted to using some spectra cord along with another thicker cord for pulling on and we got the spring in place.

Here it is with the spectra dangling and the pennies still in place:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/331/19023282515_1e48c5cc02_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/uZ2i8z)

The stand does sit rather low, surprisingly so, even after I saw the photos from Fish, but since I'm new to riding, I don't think I'll be doing any crazy off road things any time soon :)

I had an assist to get it onto the stand, so haven't tried doing it myself just yet....but it's on :D I think I managed to scratch up the paint in a couple places while going at it with the file, debating on touching it up...the ends where I had to file are completely exposed, though the paint would just wear off during use in that location....and lets face it, it's a center stand...it's going to get dinged up.

SpudRider
06-27-2015, 01:31 AM
Thanks for posting the update. :) You got 'er done. :tup:

Weldangrind
06-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Excellent job.

If you ever need to remove it and install it again, bend the spring to create a gap for coins. Try to alternate sides, so the spring doesn't create a big arc, and try dimes next time, because they're easier.

Some grease on the bare metal sections will thwart rust.

dave92029
06-27-2015, 10:41 AM
CSC installed my center stand when I picked up my RX3.

My only comment is that this point is that this is
the Most difficult bike to place on the center stand. I am a big, and very strong man who has owned 800 pound touring bikes and None were Half as hard to get on the center stand.

On the plus side the bike is very stable once you get it up, I just don't use it unless there is a good reason since it requires so much effort to use the center stand.

I'm glad that I ordered the center stand because to check the oil level, oil chain, check air pressure in tires, and remove a wheel.

woodlandsprite
06-27-2015, 10:52 AM
Excellent job.

If you ever need to remove it and install it again, bend the spring to create a gap for coins. Try to alternate sides, so the spring doesn't create a big arc, and try dimes next time, because they're easier.

Some grease on the bare metal sections will thwart rust.

:) I should have greased it before install but was too excited to finally have it fit :P no idea if I'll ever manage to get the thing off again...

I did bend the spring to get the coins in....it just didn't seem to make much of a gap.

I do have a tube of white lithium grease, I could try to squeeze some into place... That's probably better than doing nothing at all :)

fishman10
06-27-2015, 09:37 PM
i wouldn't worry bout it, I'm sure some excess chainlube may get slung down in that area

Weldangrind
06-28-2015, 12:56 AM
I do have a tube of white lithium grease, I could try to squeeze some into place... That's probably better than doing nothing at all :)

You could also buy a can of spray grease, and shoot some in there. Also, whatever you're using for chain lube would work.

woodlandsprite
06-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Spray grease/lube was easier to try to deal with - not sure if it got where it needed to, but I suppose capillary action will help suck it in. I now need to practice getting the bike up on its center stand - or go hunting for some scrap lumber so I can make something to stick under the rear wheel as an assist :)

cimarronEric
07-01-2015, 01:10 AM
Spray grease/lube was easier to try to deal with - not sure if it got where it needed to, but I suppose capillary action will help suck it in. I now need to practice getting the bike up on its center stand - or go hunting for some scrap lumber so I can make something to stick under the rear wheel as an assist :)

Grab low and lift with your legs.:)

woodlandsprite
07-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Grab low and lift with your legs.:)

I know :) I'm naturally clumsy and just worried about dropping the thing. When I got it first installed, we popped it up on the stand (but more like my husband put it up on its stand), but I have not tried putting it on the stand since (or on my own)

Weldangrind
07-01-2015, 12:11 PM
With my old '79 XS650 (many, many years ago), I was unable to get it on the center stand, despite being six feet, 170lbs and 18 years old. My friend's Dad, who was all of 5'6", 150lbs and 55 years old showed me the trick.

I was grasping at the bars and trying to pull back. He grabbed near the rear of the bike, with one hand on the rear rack and the other under the seat. The bike just rolled onto the stand as if told to do so.

Perhaps a similar technique would work for you.

woodlandsprite
07-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the tip Weld, I just need to find the right place to grab and stand up - Likely it will involve grabbing the mounting rack for the pannier - will definitely share as I figure something out :) if *I* can manage to get the thing on the center stand, anyone should be able to ;)

SpudRider
07-01-2015, 01:12 PM
There is no doubt that employing good technique will make the job much easier. ;)

Backroads
07-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Hello everyone, i also have the center stand but have not installed it yet. after seeing the picture of it installed not so sure now seems really low. has anyone had any issues with the ground clearance.

rjmorel
07-04-2015, 02:53 PM
Hello everyone, i also have the center stand but have not installed it yet. after seeing the picture of it installed not so sure now seems really low. has anyone had any issues with the ground clearance.

If you look under your bike you'll see that the mounting bracket for the center stand is already there hanging down. It is the lowest portion of the fame and the center stand pivots up higher from there when in the up position. Installing the center stand on my bike only decreased ground clearance by maybe 1/8".
Yes I have bottomed out on large rocks and it banged pretty good. the Zong kept going with no apparent damage, rj

Weldangrind
07-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the tip Weld, I just need to find the right place to grab and stand up - Likely it will involve grabbing the mounting rack for the pannier - will definitely share as I figure something out :) if *I* can manage to get the thing on the center stand, anyone should be able to ;)

Something else occurred to me, Sprite. Focus more on pushing the stand down with your foot, than pulling the bike up. Perhaps that will help.

rjmorel
07-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Sprite also see #32 on page 3, that's what I had to do, rj

NoVa Rider
07-21-2015, 10:13 AM
A few posters on this thread have discussed how to get the RX3 up on the CSC centerstand, including using a small wood "ramp" under the rear wheel.

Some posters apparently do not find this to be an issue.

But for me, the CSC centerstand was almost impossible to use. In part because there is no "leverage" possible with the foot "peg." I have had no problem getting much heavier bikes up on their stands, including my 580 pound Honda NT. But whether I gasped the RX3's grab handle or the crash bar in front of the sidecase, I just found getting the RX3 up to be a chore, requiring at minimum multiple tugs and grunts, and even getting bruises on my leg where it hit the guards.

So today I tried something different. I steadied the bike upright, with my foot holding the centerstand "peg" down and my left hand on the handlebar. Then with my right hand I reached forward to the lower engine guard, and pulled the bike backwards. Voila! I found this much easier. The bike pivoted around as I pulled back, so this technique should only be tried on pavement/concrete with space under the stand for it to shift around and with enough room so that as the rear of the bike pivots away from you, it won't hit anything.

I am also not certain if this technique puts excessive strain on the engine guard or the centerstand tabs. So try it at your own risk. But it worked for me once, and I expect to try it again, paying close attention to any possible bending.

woodlandsprite
07-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the tip, Nova Rider - I haven't tried the center stand again any time recently but I will keep your method in mind when I do!

fishman10
08-03-2015, 05:31 PM
now for some reason my csc centerstand doesnt lift either end off the ground so its worthless..Banged it off a curb one time ,,maybe that has something to do with it ,,but it looks the same.

Adjuster
08-03-2015, 06:12 PM
Fish thats really weird??? Maybe sheared some bolts and its slipping out of place? There is no logical reason why a center stand wouldn't work.

/

fishman10
08-03-2015, 08:59 PM
look ,,all i can say is its on there ,still has the large pin with a c'clip on each end ,holding it on as normal,,,,, ,,but now it doesnt lift either end ,, im pretty sure hopping up on a curb an it striking it must have bent it upwards enough to cause this,, Oh an btw it stalled today ,on take off,, from a stop as i tried to give it gas , before even letting clutch out ,,so troubles continue...............

roots
08-04-2015, 01:24 AM
now for some reason my csc centerstand doesnt lift either end off the ground so its worthless..Banged it off a curb one time ,,maybe that has something to do with it ,,but it looks the same.

I noticed the same thing with mine and I haven't hit a curb. Maybe slight "droop" in suspension? I only have about 350 miles on it so far, so it has been sitting on the stand quite a bit:hehe: One reason I got it was so I can have a few more inches of room in garage by having the bike vertical, but for lubing the chain I have to wedge a board under the swing arm to lift the back up just enough to spin the tire. Once I pull it out, both tires are just barely touching and I can't easily rotate either one.

fishman10
08-05-2015, 06:42 PM
yep,, mine is not bent either ,,but now it doesnt lift rear wheel ,,for lubing the chain,,which is why i spent $100 for it ,,,its useless so i jsut took it off.

Eco Mouse
08-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Well, we have the answer to your Center Stand woes... check it out:

We added a leverage foot pad, and shortened the whole thing just a tad. It's now ready for prime time!

Here's video of how easy it is to get it up on the center stand. This is member K-Frost, she's only 5'8" and this is her first attempt.

https://youtu.be/-YgabykJq3w

Adjuster
08-09-2015, 09:33 PM
It still looks like her rear tire is on the ground.

/

Eco Mouse
08-09-2015, 11:12 PM
On the shop floor there is 1/2" of clearance, and the tire spins freely. The asphalt in front of the shop is uneven. You didn't see it, but I did spin the wheel off camera, and it was barely scraping. For the production models we are going to add back in 1/4" extra to the legs.

But the point is really what we accomplished here. Was to move the center stand pivot point rearward so the bike's weight is distributed to the front tire, unlike the current center stand option. AND the fact that I got a woman to use the center stand, since a lot of Cyclone buyers might be of smaller stature, female or first time riders.

This was a successful project, and I'm really pleased with the way it came out! :yay:

woodlandsprite
08-09-2015, 11:15 PM
EcoMouse, congrats on the development of the new center stand - I'm still struggling to be able to ge tmy bike up on the CSC center stand - wish I had waited to potentially purchase yours instead!

Eco Mouse
08-09-2015, 11:30 PM
I know, I wish I could have finished sooner. This is still a labor of love, and really, just a side project. I still have a workshop and design studio to run, gotta pay the bills first, play later.

I aim to have these projects self funded, but this wasn't the case, as there really isn't a large enough market for the Cyclone just yet. Had I made up something for the Tiger or GS800, I'd have already sold out the first batch.

But we've got a weld jig already set-up, and all the pieces are dialed in, so we know what to cut, how long where it fits etc. All to avoid waste, so common in short production runs.

SpudRider
08-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Congratulations on the successful design for the new centerstand, EM. :) Have you determined a price for it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YgabykJq3w

Eco Mouse
08-10-2015, 01:19 AM
Yes, all things considered, and it actually being made in USA and offering FREE Shipping... we feel $240 is a fair market price.

Not to mention, this is a low production item. I can only bust out 20 at a time with my shop's current capabilities.

fishman10
08-10-2015, 08:33 PM
dang ,,,the stock centerstand is useless now ,,an im way short on cash ,cause i just bought a hd wide glide,,, or id get one of your centerstands to try...if theres any interest ,,i will sell the stock centerstand ,,,,it is not bent as i had originally thought...

Inroads
08-13-2015, 06:49 PM
Centerstand deployment is a mutha even when grabbing the crash bars which are hard to get but a couple of fingers around so....I'm thinking of mounting a rear peg upside down so when it pivots out I then would have a good grab handle to lift her up.

Inroads
08-13-2015, 06:53 PM
New Centerstand looks easier than the stock one to deploy but man walking around to the right side to deploy sucks...There is a reason why all factory center stands deploy on the left.

Eco Mouse
08-13-2015, 09:45 PM
What difference does it make which side the leverage arm is on? A center stand only gets used in uneven terrain when your bike is fully loaded, or when you are performing a rear wheel maintenance of some kind. You aren't going to deploy it every time you get off your bike, are you?

One thing that we found, is that with the kickstand down, on the left-hand side, it was sort of a safety catch so the bike wouldn't tip over while you were trying to get the bike balanced for your center stand deployment. A new rider, or a female could easily tip the bike beyond recovery when trying to get the bike perfectly upright.

And remember, the center stand solution I came up with was very specifically created to overcome a balance issue with the stock center stand. When deployed, the feet of the stock center stand pivot well beyond the bike's center of gravity. Mainly because the 250cc power plant isn't very heavy to begin with. Thus allowing a rearward bias, and difficult to use the center stand unless you are physically strong enough to lift the bike on your own anyway. This isn't a CSC issue, it's just an oversight at Zongshen at where and how to install a center stand mounting points.

In order to create the pivot in the correct place, the hinging action needs to be a certain point, taking into account where the feet will in up under the bike when fully deployed. Also, we don't want to lower the bike's clearance anymore than it actually is. Sooo... where the center stand ended up became a fight between the kickstand, the chain and the swing arm, all while trying to maintain at least a 12" wide footprint. A leverage arm on the left would have interfered with any one of those things.

Walking around to the other side every once in awhile is a small price to pay to have a strong stable footprint that is easier to operate than what already exists.

That being said, I'm open to further examining the design and function of my center stand. I'm not locked into any design. But as it stands, it seems as if there is zero interest in this and I've really just wasted my time, except for the 3 bikes this will end up on. :doh:

Inroads
08-13-2015, 10:34 PM
99% of riders mount on the left side and so all balancing and centering of the bike is awkward on the right side to say nothing of having to walk around.
I realize it is more trouble to mount on the left but you gotta do it unless it's just too much trouble.
I use a Centerstand a lot because it is easier loading and unloading the panniers also I climb onto the pegs to mount.
I think it's pretty cool you have a working one that deploys easier it is just big thing in my mind that it be on the left.

NoVa Rider
08-14-2015, 04:27 AM
Centerstand deployment is a mutha even when grabbing the crash bars which are hard to get but a couple of fingers around so....I'm thinking of mounting a rear peg upside down so when it pivots out I then would have a good grab handle to lift her up.

Did you see my earlier post on "getting it up?" This method is working well for me. Start by standing on the left side of the bike facing forward. Hold the stand peg down with your foot, hold bike upright with your left hand on the handlebar, and with your right hand reach forward and grab the lower engine guard, and pull the bike back. I have found it works best if you grab the lower portion of the lower engine guard, closer to the bike frame. This induces less twisting. But do leave some room around the bike the first time you try it, since the bike tends to pivot a bit as it rolls back and up onto the stand.

Its getting easier for me with practice. I have not observed any bending of the mounting tabs or other issues, but obviously there are no guarantees. Its just a suggestion.

rjmorel
08-14-2015, 12:39 PM
"But as it stands, it seems as if there is zero interest in this and I've really just wasted my time, except for the 3 bikes this will end up on."

Eco, Welcome to the world of manufacturing. I hate to be the one to say it but I'm going to say it. We the people who buy the RX3 are cheap a$$. The CSC centerstand is $130, yours is $240. Yours works better, wider , safer, easier to put up on, etc. Being self-employed myself, I have no doubt that the time and energy you put into this justifies $240. But we are cheap A$$es.
If you got a prepaid PayPal? $100 deposit from 10-15 people willing to buy them at a "better" price, say $150-$175 shipped. Do you think you could make them in that price range? That would give you $1000-$1500 upfront to make it worth your while , then before you ship them you'd be getting another $500-$750 .Mine wouldn't even need to be powder coated. We are cheap and thrifty dudes which is why we bought the RX3 for the value. There , I said it, but everyone else was thinking it. Beautiful stand by the way, rj

Eco Mouse
08-14-2015, 02:03 PM
I would consider the country of origin on why theirs is less to manufacture and buy. Plus if it doesn't work, who cares if it's even free?

I didn't think $240 was out of line. In fact I found many that are also made in the USA approaching $400, and s/h was still separate.

But my price was arrived at by adding line items of parts, raw materials, shop labor + 15% for profit. Very low for making anything by hand in America.

But I suppose you are right. Maybe I should stick to decals and keychains for the RX-3.

Eco Mouse
08-14-2015, 04:28 PM
I hate to be the one to say it but I'm going to say it. We the people who buy the RX3 are cheap a$$

I have always felt that there is a distinct difference between being "Cheap" and just not having enough disposable income from month to month.

I too am obviously self employed. And I range from negative disposable income to an excess from month to month, and it varies wildly and I can never count on anything. But when it comes to something that I want to buy, what I feel is a good bargain for the price (sometimes the best, sometimes not) I never let my negative cash flow stop me from getting what I want. I just put it in my mind that is something that I'm going to obtain. Don't know when, don't know how... but I know that it's already mine! :D

Being "Cheap" has bitten me in the arse more times than I can count. So, now my philosophy is "Cry Once" (get the good stuff now, wince at the price, but knowing that I won't have to buy another one or have to upgrade too soon)

Which kinda brings me to the point of why I think the Cyclone is a good bargain and a good platform to develop aftermarket parts for. There should be many people who buy this bike as at least their 3rd bike in their stable, and who want to build it up in a way that makes theirs unique and bullet-proof over what the factory put out. I may be completely off base in that assessment, but look at what's happened to the KLR over the last 30 years.

Weldangrind
08-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Being "Cheap" has bitten me in the arse more times than I can count. So, now my philosophy is "Cry Once" (get the good stuff now, wince at the price, but knowing that I won't have to buy another one or have to upgrade too soon)

I have a similar philosophy. I'll soon forget the cash I choked on, but I'll long remember a quality product. It doesn't really jive with my ChinaRider lifestyle, but I never claimed to be all that well. :crazy:

rtking
08-15-2015, 09:22 PM
I have a similar philosophy. I'll soon forget the cash I choked on, but I'll long remember a quality product. It doesn't really jive with my ChinaRider lifestyle, but I never claimed to be all that well. :crazy:

Great timing on this post. I blinked and pulled out of the early "Don't Miss The Boat" deal and kicked myself for it. Then I waited too long to pull the trigger on the Western Ride bikes, and not only berated myself, but virtually begged Ryan to publicly humiliate me. Sigh...I think I better buy one now before the price goes up or I otherwise miss a (still) good deal.

I guess wrong forum to ask since there's so many accolades from posters, but any regrets or post purchase thoughts on the RX-3?

rjmorel
08-15-2015, 11:07 PM
I have no regrets for not spending $8-$12,000 for an adventure bike. My Rx3 is taking me all the places I wanted to go and will get me to yet another rally at the end of the month. (Hood River Sound Rider Rally). Very economically I might add also. rj

detours
08-16-2015, 12:19 AM
No regrets here. This is a well designed bike with lots of power in a <400 lb package and 70 mpg.

The only thing I would say it needs is a $13, 13 tooth countershaft sprocket. And I highly recommend the 19" front wheel.

GSC
08-27-2015, 06:28 PM
I'm considering center stand. CSC says they'll install before shipping to me. Thats cool.
But wondering about sacrificing ground clearance? Any experiences out there?

Jay In Milpitas
08-28-2015, 12:16 AM
I'm considering center stand. CSC says they'll install before shipping to me. Thats cool.
But wondering about sacrificing ground clearance? Any experiences out there?

The center stand retracts quite high, about the same as the side stand.
It's a very handy addition, but if you decide to take it off for clearance sake, that's easily done. I appreciate having one on mine.

GSC
08-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Thanks Jay, according to Ryan at CSC they're working on a redesign with lift assist pedal. I'll get that centerstand.

Spud ' configuring my control panel '. Sounds like story of my life but I'll certainly try!
thanks for advise.

Eco Mouse
08-28-2015, 09:23 PM
Here's our updated version, with the leverage bar on the left side. As you can see, plenty of ground clearance!
We dipped the feet in truck bed liner to make it a little more grippy, especially on our smooth epoxy shop floor.

http://cyclone-rx3.com/files/Wide-Center-Stand-V2-Installed.png

I hear you guys on the kick stand being a little too short. I'm working on a better solution that works hand in hand with our super awesome center stand.

Inroads
08-31-2015, 09:37 PM
Good looking Centerstand there Eco-Mouse,really like the retraction on the left and it looks nice and wide And it really lofts the rear tire.I have the CSC Centerstand and the deployment difficulty is quite high.I am waiting to see what revision they have in mind to enable it to deploy easier.I am definetly considering yours.Thanks for your open-minded re-design.

Bob Kelly
05-16-2022, 11:19 PM
Fishman ! just weld some 1"x1" pieces of 1/4" steel to each legs bottom and that should lift the wheels clear of the ground or perhaps a chunk of 1"x 1/2" square bar stock a quick easy cure for a center stand that is too short !
( I bet you put on different tires Uh ?)
maybe EM will make a centerstand for the RX4 eh ????
Bob.......