PDA

View Full Version : How many RX3 riders also own a large adventure bike?

detours
07-19-2015, 06:02 PM
Just curious. How many RX3 owners already own a large adventure bike and what is it? Are you planning on keeping both?

For myself, I already have a Vstrom 650.

The RX3 is only 100 lbs lighter, but I wanted something easier to pick up on the trail, with lower seat height and better street manners than a typical dual sport.

I will keep both because my wife won't (and shouldn't) ride her tu250x on dirt. I think she will eventually want to ride the RX3 with me on dirt, especially after I get a 13T sprocket.

Bendbiker
07-19-2015, 10:58 PM
I have a 2014 F800 GS Adventure that I prefer for longer adventure trips (as in pavement and dirt) where I need to be under the gun time wise. But I truly love riding the RX3. Both myself and my wife have ridden it off road and we both find it very capable. I also have a DRZ400 that I've set up for adventure riding but really much prefer the RX3 on pavement. The Suzuki can be ridden much faster over rougher dirt that the RX3 but that can also be viewed as an asset it that I'm more likely to ride it with a bigger safely margin than a bike that enables me to hammer.
For more dirt oriented trips I take the Tourfella boxes off and run Wolfman Monarch Pass soft bags. They fit perfectly on the Tourfella racks. I'm eagerly awaiting the new skid plate, a Seat Concepts seat, and bars ends Ryan has told me is on the way any day now.
Just because one rides a bigger adv bike doesn't mean one can't appreciate a smaller more minimal bike. My wife and I want to ride to Ushuaia within the next 4 years and I would seriously contemplate riding the RX3 over the Bemmer.

rjmorel
07-20-2015, 12:22 AM
I have a Honda NC700x and though it's not considered and "Adventure" bike but more of a commuter, I have "Adventures" on it from highway to forest service roads. Don't plan on selling either for awhile, rj

SpudRider
07-20-2015, 01:53 AM
I have a Honda XR650L which is set up for adventure riding. :) I won't even consider selling the XR650L until a better shock absorber is available for the Zongshen RX3. However, the RX3 is much more fun to ride on pavement. ;)

Huck369
07-20-2015, 10:22 AM
I also have a Honda NC700X, set up with Shinko 705's, that sees Adventure Riding on fire/forest and gravel roads, along with pavement, keeping it....but it hasn't gotten many miles on it since I got the RX-3.

I also have a Yamaha XT250 Dual Sport for the really rough dual Sporting, but it isn't the best on the pavement....but keeping it too :)

SpudRider
07-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Yes, I'm also keeping my Honda CRF250X for single track riding. Indeed, I'm keeping my Zongshen Sierra 200 (ZS200GY-2) for dual sport riding, since it has a much better suspension than the RX3. ;)

rjmorel
07-20-2015, 11:14 PM
Spud , would the Zongshen Sierra 200 suspenders be able to be retrofitted to the RX3 ? I agree it needs something . I rode with some guys last week who had a XT225 and we swapped bikes and the XT suspension was really nice in absorbing the ruts and pot holes on the forest roads we were on. Got back on the RX3 and it just seems harsh. rj

SpudRider
07-21-2015, 01:29 AM
Spud , would the Zongshen Sierra 200 suspenders be able to be retrofitted to the RX3 ? I agree it needs something . I rode with some guys last week who had a XT225 and we swapped bikes and the XT suspension was really nice in absorbing the ruts and pot holes on the forest roads we were on. Got back on the RX3 and it just seems harsh. rj

No, I measured both sets of forks, and the Sierra 200 forks are too small for the RX3 triple tree. :ohno: However, I strongly suspect the forks for the ZS150GY-10 will fit the RX3 triple tree, and these forks have more travel than the Sierra 200 forks. :) In addition, I suspect the front wheel of the RX3 will fit the ZS150GY-10 forks, including the brake rotor and brake caliper. However, the lower fender and lower fork guards of the RX3 would not attach to the ZS150GY-10 forks. ;)

Huck369
07-21-2015, 09:15 AM
The Sierra 200, and the XT225 are True Dual Sport bikes, or Trail bikes with just enough lighting to be street legal.....and Adventure bike is a Street bike that has just enough off road ability to do some off road, but more set-up for faster gravel roads than hard core trail riding, hence the not having as much suspension travel, and allows a lower seat height.

But if you really spend most of your time on rough trails, you need a true Dual Sport, not an Adventure bike....I like it as it is...sure anything can be improved some, but adding long travel suspension will change the whole character of the bike, and raise the seat height up, and also raise the center of gravity up on it, making it tougher to pick up.

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, but I like it pretty good as is, any changes I make will just be more to make it fit me better, for how I ride mine.
I have my XT250 for the tougher on-off road riding.

That being said, I have no problem with anyone modifying their bike however they like, to each their own :)

rjmorel
07-21-2015, 12:40 PM
The Sierra 200, and the XT225 are True Dual Sport bikes, or Trail bikes with just enough lighting to be street legal.....and Adventure bike is a Street bike that has just enough off road ability to do some off road, but more set-up for faster gravel roads than hard core trail riding, hence the not having as much suspension travel, and allows a lower seat height.

But if you really spend most of your time on rough trails, you need a true Dual Sport, not an Adventure bike....I like it as it is...sure anything can be improved some, but adding long travel suspension will change the whole character of the bike, and raise the seat height up, and also raise the center of gravity up on it, making it tougher to pick up.

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, but I like it pretty good as is, any changes I make will just be more to make it fit me better, for how I ride mine.
I have my XT250 for the tougher on-off road riding.

That being said, I have no problem with anyone modifying their bike however they like, to each their own :)

Totally in agreement with you. Suspension is fine for what it was designed for. I just wish it worked "better" the few times I am on the nasty stuff and it didn't feel so harsh on this old mans body. I can't raise the RX3 as it's already to high after I put on the new tires Shinko 3:00x18 and 5.10x17 rear. Pros are great tire, inexpensive, good tread, more rubber means better cushion when hitting sharp rocks and bumps, made it easier to put on center stand. Draw backs I noticed it takes more power from motor (subjective I guess) and lifted up seat to where I'm maxed out tippy toeing it. I'm the runt of the litter in my family. I'm learning to live with it and overall bike is still the deal. rj

SpudRider
07-21-2015, 01:04 PM
...and Adventure bike is a Street bike that has just enough off road ability to do some off road, but more set-up for faster gravel roads than hard core trail riding, hence the not having as much suspension travel, and allows a lower seat height.

But if you really spend most of your time on rough trails, you need a true Dual Sport, not an Adventure bike....I like it as it is...sure anything can be improved some, but adding long travel suspension will change the whole character of the bike, and raise the seat height up, and also raise the center of gravity up on it, making it tougher to pick up...

Totally in agreement with you. Suspension is fine for what it was designed for. I just wish it worked "better" the few times I am on the nasty stuff and it didn't feel so harsh on this old mans body. I can't raise the RX3 as it's already to high after I put on the new tires Shinko 3:00x18 and 5.10x17 rear. Pros are great tire, inexpensive, good tread, more rubber means better cushion when hitting sharp rocks and bumps, made it easier to put on center stand. Draw backs I noticed it takes more power from motor (subjective I guess) and lifted up seat to where I'm maxed out tippy toeing it. I'm the runt of the litter in my family. I'm learning to live with it and overall bike is still the deal. rj

I agree with both of you. I think the forks are fine for an adventure bike, but the shock absorber is so harsh, it is punishing at times. Just riding around the city at 25 mph, I frequently encounter poor pavement which threatens to herniate a disk in my back. I'm not talking about deep potholes, either. Small bumps in the street can be surprisingly harsh. Maybe I got a bad shock absorber. I definitely need to lose some weight, but the shock should be designed to carry a load. :shrug:

Eco Mouse
07-24-2015, 01:49 PM
I'm partial to my Triumph Tiger! I will eventually buy the 2015 or newer version of the Tiger 800 XCx. The newest model updates really push this bike over the top in my opinion. Soooo silky smooth to have a triple. And there really isn't much of a fuel mileage penalty as one would think. Actually quite the opposite. The '15 model however averages around 60 mpg of mixed driving. My current Tiger gets me about 40-45. So that would be a huge jump in range with the 5 gallon tank.

Jay In Milpitas
08-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Not sure my '85 GL1200 counts as an ADV bike, but it is bigger. It's a beater (much to the dismay of other 'Wing riders) and it does handle fair on fire service trails and gravel roads. Drifts pretty decent too. I've never failed to be able to pick it back up, but it gets a bit tougher as each year passes. Might have to start packing one of these: http://www.autotoolworld.com/Keysco-77043-Monkey-on-the-Stick-Jack-Set--4-Pc_p_167367.html

Inroads
08-14-2015, 05:57 AM
Yep triples rock.I have a FZ-09 and the biggest hinderance is the smallish tank.
Surprisingly it is a capable Mild off road and fire road bike even more so than my V-Strom
It's the light weight and short wheelbase that does it.
They make skid plates for them and some are mounting TKC 80 tires.