PDA

View Full Version : Steering head lock?

rtking
09-07-2015, 12:02 AM
Sorry if already covered, but has anyone tried to lock the steering head by using the ignition key? It appears on the ignition tumbler that you can press down to lock the steering head, but mine does not turn to lock the steering head in either direction. Just wondering if this works for anyone/everyone else?

detours
09-07-2015, 12:16 AM
Try pushing the key down and releasing first, then turning to the lock position. I expected it to turn while pushed down, but it doesn't work that way.

rtking
09-07-2015, 12:46 AM
Try pushing the key down and releasing first, then turning to the lock position. I expected it to turn while pushed down, but it doesn't work that way.

Thanks Detours! That was exactly it! :thanks:

SpudRider
09-07-2015, 01:04 AM
The RX3 ignition lock works the same as many, if not all, Yamaha ignition locks. ;)

Turn the handlebars to full lock at the left.
Push down on the ignition key, and release the key.
Turn the ignition key left (counter clockwise) to the 'lock' position.
Remove the ignition key.

SpudRider
09-07-2015, 01:06 AM
I might be wrong, but I seem to remember the ignition lock will not work if the handlebars are turned to full lock at the right. I believe you can only lock the handlebars at the full left position. ;)

pepelepua
09-07-2015, 09:29 AM
Hi,
It only loks to the left.
In my bike I donĀ“t need to push down the key and release before turning it left, if I turn it directly left with the handle turned fully left, it locks.
The ignition key and lock is the first contact you have with the bike and at the begining it was rough, after a few days it seems to became easier :clap:

AZRider
09-07-2015, 09:59 PM
On my bike, I can lock the steering in the straight ahead position and it will only turn partially.

SpudRider
09-07-2015, 10:41 PM
On my bike, I can lock the steering in the straight ahead position and it will only turn partially.

Yes, that is the same result obtained if you turn the handlebars fully to the right, and lock the ignition. ;) The handlebars will only fully lock, without any movement, if you turn them fully to the left, before you lock the ignition.